Peeing in Public

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M&M

Reaction score
I’m a new rabbit owner, so please pardon this silly, newbie question. When people decide to take their rabbit out for a walk on a nice day, whether using a harness, in a sling carrier or even pet stroller, where would a bunny go pee? I’m curious since bunnies prefer peeing in a corner, what would they do when outside? Would they just pee wherever if being walked in a harness or have an accident in a sling carrier or the stroller?

I walk mine on a harness in stores and places and mine have never peed outside. They don't, from my experience, like peeing in an unfamiliar place. I bring a wire bottom carrier with me, and if the rabbit starts digging or starts acting antsy I return her to the carrier (I leave it in the car) - sometimes she will pee as soon as she goes back in it.

Reactions: M&M
I walk mine on a harness in stores and places and mine have never peed outside. They don't, from my experience, like peeing in an unfamiliar place. I bring a wire bottom carrier with me, and if the rabbit starts digging or starts acting antsy I return her to the carrier (I leave it in the car) - sometimes she will pee as soon as she goes back in it.

Thanks for the suggestion! I’d like to take my bun for a walk but people advised me not to due to all kinds of risks. So I thought I’d take her with me in a sling type of carrier. However, I think it would be fun for her to get out and roam a bit, using a harness of course. I know I’d have to avoid the grass at the parks because more than likely it’s been fertilized.

Thanks for the suggestion! I’d like to take my bun for a walk but people advised me not to due to all kinds of risks. So I thought I’d take her with me in a sling type of carrier. However, I think it would be fun for her to get out and roam a bit, using a harness of course. I know I’d have to avoid the grass at the parks because more than likely it’s been fertilized.
Can you post a photo of a sling type of carrier? That doesn't sound like it would be appropriate for a rabbit. Please bear in mind that for the vast majority of rabbits, they don't like to "get out and roam a bit"" -- at least not in new or unfamiliar places. Dogs like this because they are predators and fearless. Rabbits don't like change or new places. It is frightening to them.

For a rabbit, if you want her to go outside, she's better off in a secure yard inside an exercise pen while being monitored. That way, she can explore (if she wants) in a place that will become familiar without the hinderance of a harness.

A pet stroller would be the best option if you are hoping to take her out in public to show her off.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bringing-outside.html

Can you post a photo of a sling type of carrier? That doesn't sound like it would be appropriate for a rabbit. Please bear in mind that for the vast majority of rabbits, they don't like to "get out and roam a bit"" -- at least not in new or unfamiliar places. Dogs like this because they are predators and fearless. Rabbits don't like change or new places. It is frightening to them.

For a rabbit, if you want her to go outside, she's better off in a secure yard inside an exercise pen while being monitored. That way, she can explore (if she wants) in a place that will become familiar without the hinderance of a harness.

A pet stroller would be the best option if you are hoping to take her out in public to show her off.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bringing-outside.html

Yes, this is generally what I hear but was always curious what people and their rabbits do.

Attachments

• BA650432-FF57-464E-9369-BD299CFC6F21.png
    BA650432-FF57-464E-9369-BD299CFC6F21.png
    685.1 KB · Views: 7
I definitely would advise against that. It would be so easy for a startled rabbit to jump out of that and harm himself. It also prohibits him from moving into any other position. At least with a pet stroller, bunny can sit or lay or move a little.

Latest posts

Back