Peeing in hay box

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maddie_20

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Just wondering if any of your buns pee in their hay box? everytime I put hay out for them in a box they pee...:(I don't know what to do .. any suggestions of how to give them hay and avoid them peeing in it?

thanks

Maddie

if you want to advoid pee on the hay then i would avoid putting the hay in the box and putting it in a hay feeder above the litter box. Rabbits pee and poo while they eat so it is natural for them to do that while sitting on the hay eating it. My guys have hay in the box and i was told that they wont eat what they soild on, so it ultimately means that i go through more hay, but to me it is less messier then the hay racks were.

Iprefer ahay rack as thehay will stay clean but I have noticed some of my buns prefer to eat hay from a box or from the floor. I check thehay boxes daily as some ofthem do like to pee in them.

Luvmyzoocrew wrote:
if you want to advoid pee on the hay then i would avoid putting the hay in the box and putting it in a hay feeder above the litter box. Rabbits pee and poo while they eat so it is natural for them to do that while sitting on the hay eating it. My guys have hay in the box and i was told that they wont eat what they soild on, so it ultimately means that i go through more hay, but to me it is less messier then the hay racks were.

My boyfriend and I got into an argument about this earlier today, haha. I do the same thing. I always read that putting hay in the litter box encouraged them to go in and helped with litter training. So I've always done it, and I offer fresh hay at one side of the litter pans daily. I tried getting a separate box for hay and the guinea pig and rabbit used it as a litter box. I tried hay racks, but they preferred to eat the hay out of the box, and they're not caged, so hay racks are difficult to hang for me. I also got a Rollin' the hay ball and they like it, but it's really messy and they still eat most hay out of the litter box.

Another advantage is that if there's litter under the hay, it helps to absorb the urine, saving most of the hay from being spoiled. My rabbit only goes in one corner of the box, for the most part, so putting hay mainly on the other side and topping it off with fresh hay daily works best for us.

Some days my rabbits pee in the box and some they don't. I always interpreted it as if they pee in the box it's b/c they're mad at something I did (put the hay on the wrong side of the mat, etc.). I use a step in hay box and then I also put hay in their litter box - they eat out of both.

Latest posts

Back