Pee -- bladder sludge?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zont zo it

Reaction score
Is this pee normal? Is this early stages of bladder sludge?

Attachments

• 1621270780839291676322584987176.jpg
    1621270780839291676322584987176.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 19
it looks quite cloudy. what is their diet like?
I recently bought him. The previous owner had him on a chicken feed. I tried my best to take him off that feed but he wasnt really eating anything else much which caused him to become weak I had him on that chicken feed recently and now that he has gained health I am shifting him on oats for health and weight gain and veggies. He doesn't eat hay he only eats fresh grass of a certain type. Very picky. The chicken feed is wht made me concerned about this color of pee.

He is unneutered and quite into marking territories drops pellets literally everywhere. Trying my best to find a vet to get him neutered.

I recently bought him. The previous owner had him on a chicken feed. I tried my best to take him off that feed but he wasnt really eating anything else much which caused him to become weak I had him on that chicken feed recently and now that he has gained health I am shifting him on oats for health and weight gain and veggies. He doesn't eat hay he only eats fresh grass of a certain type. Very picky. The chicken feed is wht made me concerned about this color of pee.
Concerned due to the chicken feed, rightfully so. Glad you're working to get him off of it an onto a proper diet. The territorial markings is typical. Especially in unneutered rabbits. (Shen still does it from time to time when he's mad at me or at Xiao Wu.) How long ago was it that you got him? He could just be claiming his area since he's new.

Concerned due to the chicken feed, rightfully so. Glad you're working to get him off of it an onto a proper diet. The territorial markings is typical. Especially in unneutered rabbits. (Shen still does it from time to time when he's mad at me or at Xiao Wu.) How long ago was it that you got him? He could just be claiming his area since he's new.
Maybe 2 weeks or so? He started marking recently

Hm. Then it's most likely because he's unneutered. How old is he? It did take me a while to get Shen to start using his box again. I just had to move it to a spot he frequented to use the bathroom. You can try that, if nothing else, until he is neutered.

It does look like there might be a high amount of calcium deposits in the urine. If the chicken feed is high in calcium, that could be the reason.

If the urine is a thin normal consistency but is cloudy, it should be ok until you are able to get him off of the chicken feed. If the urine is thick and creamy, pasty, or gritty, those are signs of bladder sludge so you will need to be very watchful and careful until you can stop feeding the chicken feed.

If you can make sure your bun stays well hydrated and is active hopping around, and up and down from objects, that will help keep the calcium from settling in the bladder and more easily flushed out of the bladder when your rabbit urinates. Also try not to feed high calcium veggies to help minimize the amount of calcium, so there isn't so much excess in the diet.

http://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Urine
http://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Bladder_sludge_and_stones

It does look like there might be a high amount of calcium deposits in the urine. If the chicken feed is high in calcium, that could be the reason.

If the urine is a thin normal consistency but is cloudy, it should be ok until you are able to get him off of the chicken feed. If the urine is thick and creamy, pasty, or gritty, those are signs of bladder sludge so you will need to be very watchful and careful until you can stop feeding the chicken feed.

If you can make sure your bun stays well hydrated and is active hopping around, and up and down from objects, that will help keep the calcium from settling in the bladder and more easily flushed out of the bladder when your rabbit urinates. Also try not to feed high calcium veggies to help minimize the amount of calcium, so there isn't so much excess in the diet.

http://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Urine
http://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Bladder_sludge_and_stones
Thank you. He is eating and hopping around just fine. Will keep an eye on him.

Latest posts

Back