Pedigrees

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeanluc_pippen_merry

Reaction score
Something the breeder said in regards to the bun im getting. I requested one that she believes has some show quality potential and she said she had a 4 week old doe she believe does, but also said this...

"Although I dont have pedigree papers for them, I can 100% guarantee they come from top lines."

A pedigree is just a sheet of paper showing a family tree going back 3 generations, right? Or am i missing something? If that is the case and the bun came from top lines, then why is there no pedigree available? Is it really not available or could it be that she doesn't want to give me a pedigree because she doesn't really think it has any potential?

I'm not trying to say she's doing a shifty, i am just confused about pedigrees and why this bun doesn't come with one because it was my understanding that a bun sold as show quality comes with pedigree papers.

Am i missing something here?

Please help, im a noob! >.<

Maybe she bought the rabbits without pedigrees and she doesn't have that information. Sometimes pedigrees don't get transferred (as in the seller forgets to get it to the buyer if they don't have it on them right away).

This is just opinion with what I'm about to say - but its really hard to know at four weeks if a rabbit is show quality....depending upon what one means by show quality.

Let me explain - if I sell a rabbit as show quality - it means I would put it in a show and expect it to do well - others might think show quality means "it is free from disqualifications" but that doesn't necessarily mean it will do well.

Anyway - I hope I've helped somewhat.

I would be incredibly leery to buy a so-called "show quality" rabbit without a pedigree. There *is* no guarantee that she is from top lines, then. (Of course, some breeders fake pedigrees but that's another story!)

If I were you, I would pass and get a pedigreed bun.

I would have to agree with Pipp and Grace. there's no means by which to prove she's from top lines and that also doesn't mean show quality.
I've gotten several hollands that were supposedly from top lines anad I looked at their pedigrees(I got htem though) and then looked at the rabbit and had to decide against it. Also a 4 week old? it's not even weaned from momma. It's got a little while before I would even begin to judge it for show quality. to me something show quality is free of DQ's and stands up to the breed standard, maybe even shown at least once.

I would be skeptical to believe someone that they can 100% guarantee they come from "top lines" without a paper trail. Top lines have pedigrees...if she can prove this, the rabbit should come with a pedigree if she has that information.

I wouldn'tever buy a purebred rabbit from someone without it's pedigree. And one that claims the rabbit comes from top lines but has no pedigree? Just seems very fishy to me.

At four weeks old you definitely can't really tell if the rabbit will be show quality. She probably assumes that since it's from "top lines" it will be. :expressionlessI can see things I like in my rabbits at four weeks old, buteight to twelve weeks is when I really can tell who will be show quality versus pet quality.

What breed of rabbit is it, anyway?

Emily

I would take everything with a grain of salt. I do have a buck that I bought that was gorgeous and had beautiful parents, but at the time I didn't want to pay the extra arm and a leg that she wanted for the ped. I now wish I had... It doesn't mean that because the rabbit doesn't have a pedigree that it isn't good. On the other hand, just because a rabbit comes from good show lines doesn't mean it will be just as good! Judge the rabbit first, then the pedigree.

Thank you for the advice everyone. I actually emailed her yesterday asking why it didn't come with a pedigree, but haven't had a reply yet. I'm going to think it over for a few days. I really want a REW mini cashmere lop and there aren't that many of those around. Cashmere is called a fuzzy lop in the US. The bun is pictured below, currently 4 weeks. I go to visit her on Sat but now im kind of worried that she's pulling a fast one on me. But her rabbitry is well known, she's been breeding for 5 years and showing for 3 but i guess that doesn't always mean honesty. Ugh i dunno what to do now. I do know 1 thing, i already love the rabbit lol. Well, maybe i will just get her and if she doesn't turn out to be of good type then i gained the rew cashmere pet ive always wanted! She would have been a pet anyway, just the one i would use to dabble in showing for the first time.

Rewlitter014.jpg
[/img]
Rewlitter014.jpg
Rewlitter015.jpg

If you are looking to show, you'll be better off with a pedigreed rabbit. If you're looking for a pet, it's not important, but don't pay show quality price for an unpedigreed bunny.

It would come down to the rabbit for me.... I prefer peds but at the same time I can live without if I know what I'm looking for.

and after you know your lines, you can easily start picking out things at birth, 2 weeks, 4 weeks exc. I'm friends with Fuzzy Momma on here, and she's showed me kits that havent had their eyes open and starts rattling of negs and positives on them. Can be done once you work with them long enough =)

In USA we are fixated on pedigrees. Other countries are less stringent on the paper trail, which drives USA breeders bonkers when importing rabbits from Europe. Rarely is there pedigrees to go with the imports.

Even though some countries have laws regarding "stud books" for equine and cattle when it comes to rabbits, it's just rabbits.

In the USA pedigrees we usually mark such rabbits as IMPORT and leave the parents blank since we don't know.

So if you like the rabbit and it looks like it would be an asset to your breeding program, buy it and breed it. Look at the litters with a very critical eye and be sure when you sell some, you have as complete a pedigree as you can muster. Just leave the parents of that one rabbit blank and in three generations you'll have a full pedigree.

Have a good day!

EDITED TO ADD: I love the cloth the rabbit is sitting on! I also weave a little bit and I am always on the lookout for cloth patterns.

Back