Pedigree?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rachaeeelanneee

Reaction score
So, I bought my bunny off of a breeder that I found on craigslist. Moo's a "purebred" hollandlop. I have that in quotations because the breeder said he wouldn't be coming with a pedigree, but I saw his parents' pedigree. Can you explain to me why that might be, or why a pedigree is like super important? I'm thinking of showing him in my county fair, but I don't know if I can claim him as purebred if I don't have a pedigree for him.

Must breeders dont do pedigree for pet quality he is prably a pet quality. And ped is not that important unless you want to register her in the ARBA

When you bought him did you tell the breeder you might show him, or did you get him as a pet? Normally, a rabbit sold for show purposes would come with a pedigree, but you shouldn't need it to show him. Pedigrees come into play if you want to register him with ARBA or plan to breed for show quality offspring.

Like others have said a rabbit sold or deemed pet quality would not be sold with a pedigree because the new owner would not need it. A rabbits pedigree is not too important when telling the quality of a rabbit but is mainly used for color genetics and line identification. Normally they go back three to four generations. By ARBA rules a rabbit is deemed purebred if it has the same breed in at least three generations. In order to show a rabbit does not have to be registered or have a pedigree but instead just meet the breed standard for a holland lop and have a tattoo in the left ear.

They asked if I wanted him for breeding or as a pet, an I just said as a pet. As long as I can still put him in my county fair as a purebred hollandlop then it's okay haha

The only thing is that he has to have a tattoo in the left ear so you will have to find someone to do that for you. And if he was sold as a pet don't be discouraged if he gets the bottom places of his class.

The only thing is that he has to have a tattoo in the left ear so you will have to find someone to do that for you. And if he was sold as a pet don't be discouraged if he gets the bottom places of his class.

Why does he need a tattoo in his ear to be shown at a county fair?

Those are the rules. They are also used as identification not only for the judge but breeders as well. Check the show rules for your fair and if it follows the same show guidelines as ARBA then youll need to tattoo

Those are the rules. They are also used as identification not only for the judge but breeders as well. Check the show rules for your fair and if it follows the same show guidelines as ARBA then youll need to tattoo

I couldn't do that to my baby. There's no way I could tattoo his ear for a county fair. Then again, some of my friends who have their babies in the fair don't have tattooed ears either.. :nono

Check the rules. Some fairs don't go by ARBA rules and don't require a tattoo. Each fair can be different, so you do need to check and even call about it if it's not listed on the website or brochure.

Make up a rabbitry name for your self and a logo/symbol and draw it in his ear with a magic marker :thumbup

Make up a rabbitry name for your self and a logo/symbol and draw it in his ear with a magic marker :thumbup

Rabbits are not tattooed with logos or symbols, and a magic marker is not compliant with ARBA regulations.

ARBA-sanctioned shows require rabbits to be tattooed with a legible combination of letters and numbers in the left ear. The tattoo must be permanent.

Most 4-H shows are not sanctioned, so they may not have the same requirements. At any rate, tattooing a rabbit is quick and minimally uncomfortable. I prefer that my rabbits are permanently identifiable, whether they are shown or not. Just incase anything would happen. :)

Latest posts

Back