Pedigree question- free or charge

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djluster

Reaction score
I am starting up my rabbitry with pedigreed rabbit but I notice so people mainly craiglist add additional money on for them. So I am wondering do you include them free or charge or do you charge. Also what I's the reason behind you charging. Just tring to get thing figured out before I start up. I get my trio and looking at maybe another sr doe. I get them June 26 after the big state my buck I am getting will have a chance to win his last leg to become a grand champion

Just give the buyer the pedigree, especially if the rabbit is show or breeding quality. Many breeders don't give pedigrees for pet quality rabbits, but will give a birth certificate (birthday, parents names) for them. Since pet quality rabbits should not really be bred, it is not a good idea to give a pedigree with them.
Giving the pedigree should be based on the quality of the rabbit and not necessarily what the rabbit will be used for. If someone if paying the price for a show or breeding rabbit and want to keep it as a pet, then they should get the pedigree anyway.
You can charge for a replacement pedigree id the owner loses it. That could maybe be $5 plus the cost to mail it. This would mostly be for your time to find the info, print the pedigree and mail it.

People who charge extra for a pedigree are not really good breeders. It's really not that hard to do one if you have the necessary info and print it off. If the rabbit has a pedigree and is of breeding or show quality, the pedigree should be a given.

Thank I thought it was odd as well that people charge I was not planning on charging either since it just seems like if you have a pedigree made up why not give it. I plan on using Evans software so it should make it easy.

Definely NO Charge. I think its tacky & unethical for breeders to charge extra for a ped. However, not all buns should be sold with a ped... Show & Brood quality should Always include a Ped, but Pet Quality buns should not need one and are not usually sold with one.

I agree, I always thought it was strange and unethical that people would try to charge extra for the pedigree.

Aside from that I also think that if you are selling good stock, it puts your name out there. People will see what you are producing and will come to you.

Just a quick note on why some breeders charge extra for the pedigrees...

Often, breeders' prices vary depending on show/brood/pet quality, with pet prices generally being the lowest. If I have a pet buyer interested in a show/brood rabbit, but only wants the rabbit for a pet, I am will charge the pet price but will not include the pedigree. This is not only because I see no reason to charge extra for what will simply be a pet, but also because I know that while that the rabbit sold will be living as a beloved pet, it will not be used to further a breeding program (thus no "gain" for the buyer).

However, if the buyer is unsure about showing or breeding their pet down the line, then they have the option of paying the regular show/brood price and receiving the pedigree with the rabbit. This is not an outright purchase of the pedigree; it is the buyer paying what the rabbit is worth according to its show/brood quality, and as such, receiving with the purchase the necessary paperwork to further their breeding program (the pedigree). Sometimes when breeders have rabbits that would do well as show/brood animals but are willing to let them go as pets, instead of explaining the whole process, they'll simply advertise them as one price with the ped, and one price without.

That all said, I ONLY do this selling method for brood/show animals being sold as pets, as they have nice enough quality that I would consider selling them as breeding animals in the first place. Pet quality rabbits get birth certificates, but do not come with pedigrees, ever. But yes, definitely include pedigrees with rabbits sold specifically as show/brood animals.

I hope that isn't too confusing; I was a little put-off by comments such as "tacky", "weird" and "unethical" when there is truly a good reason why some breeders will advertise animals as costing extra with the pedigree. :)

I see your point revverress. I think the difference is that they are selling them as show/brood animals, but wanting an arm and a leg sometimes just to throw in the pedigree. The way it comes across is they are trying to get more money out of you. May or may not be true, but when looking at an advertisement, that's how it appears. I'd rather they just set their price for the rabbit, including pedigree, or sell it as a pet with no pedigree. Hope that makes sense lol.

laylabunny wrote:
I see your point revverress. I think the difference is that they are selling them as show/brood animals, but wanting an arm and a leg sometimes just to throw in the pedigree. The way it comes across is they are trying to get more money out of you. May or may not be true, but when looking at an advertisement, that's how it appears. I'd rather they just set their price for the rabbit, including pedigree, or sell it as a pet with no pedigree. Hope that makes sense lol.
Agreed.

When I purchased my first English Spot(Cocoa) more years ago than I care to remember, I purchased him as a pet, later I decided (being as he was show quality) I wanted his pedigree and the breeder charged me $10 for it. I had only paid $15 for the rabbit so I felt it was a fair price to charge. I then purchased a self colored English Spot from the same person for $20 and it included the pedigree. Thus my English Spot breeding started.(Rest in Peace Mrs. Herman Oesterreich, you started me on my way into this rabbit craziness in 1983)

Back