Pedigree problem

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redthunderrabbits

Reaction score

I have a friend who I have known for a very long time. He started raising rabbits about 4 years ago. He raises several breeds but mostly for pet shops and pet homes . I decided to purchase a couple of his rabbits since he had some decent pedigrees. He gave me one Holland and one Mini rex I put them both on the table as Jrs and they did amazing. I have purchased different rabbits from him several times since then, recently he had a litter of Mini Rexes and I went over and picked up a broken blue buck I noticed right away that the pedigree was off when I questioned him about this he was very defensive about it. Some of the names appeared to be made up, he didn’t write a birth date on the pedigree and he charged me fifteen dollars more then he normally charged. I attend shows so I didn’t complain about the price hike but the pedigree deal has eurked me. I know he has good pedigrees ive seen all of them but I cant find the rabbits listed on my rabbits pedigree. I have learned my lesson about buying rabbits but I just want to warn others. What if anything should I do??

Ask him if you can see the parents pedigrees and match them up. Some people have strange names for rabbits, some so strange they seem made up. I have a rabbits who's mothers' name is ToyBox...I met the mother and that is indeed her name (poor thing) my rabbits came pre named Clue (like the board game) another of the litter is Game Boy and the third Jenga. The current litter if she has a broken doe I will be purchasing and am naming it Lego...all things you would find in a Toy Box.

CCWelch wrote:
Ask him if you can see the parents pedigrees and match them up. Some people have strange names for rabbits, some so strange they seem made up. I have a rabbits who's mothers' name is ToyBox...I met the mother and that is indeed her name (poor thing) my rabbits came pre named Clue (like the board game) another of the litter is Game Boy and the third Jenga. The current litter if she has a broken doe I will be purchasing and am naming it Lego...all things you would find in a Toy Box.

I can't help but laugh at that. It's too funny. I do the same thing with litters, it's just another form of identification for me and other people.
LOL.. that made my day.

If you've gotten stock from him before, why would he start lying now? It just seems strange to me. Some of those rabbit names are crazy. Some breeders put a lot of effort into coming up with a name, other just put a number down

I agree, ask to see the parents peds. Names for rabbits can be VERY unusual at times so dont go by that. Do all the buns on the ped come from his rabbitry? If not, do a little investigatin and try to locate the breeders of other buns listed on the ped. Most breeders will be more than happy to help you. They are usually full of pride about their rabbits and are very eager to discuss them. A breeder who is not forthcoming (or appears to be hiding something) is always a big red flag. Hope ya get ths issue cleared up. Good Luck to ya! :)

Latest posts

Back