Pedialyte substitutes?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

12354somebunny

Reaction score
i'm building up my bunny first aid kit, and have been hunting around for Pedialyte, but i dont think its available locally :( one pharmacist told me that they just sell oral rehydration salts which can be consumed by both adults and children alike.

so i bought both types of the salts. i wanted to compare the contents with Pedialyte's contents, but i can't seem to find that information on Pedialyte's website. So i'll reproduce the contents below, and hopefully someone can tell me if its ok to be used on bunnies?

Oralite Natural (7.22gm pack):

Glucose: 9.4gm
Sodium Chloride: 0.48gm
Sodium Bicarbonate: 0.42gm
Potassium Chloride: 0.38gm

Drug Houses of Australia (7.4gm pack):

Sodium Chloride: 0.84gm
Sodium Citrate: 0.70mg
Potassium Chloride: 0.36gm
Dextrose Monohydrate: 5.28gm

Oh, btw, when i was searching for Pedialyte's contents, i found this recipe for homemade Pedialyte:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/605007/homemade_pedialyte_for_the_prevention.html?page=2

Mods, i'm not sure if this thread belongs in the Infirmary section.. pls feel free to move it somewhere more appropriate if it doesn't belong here :) thanks!

I don't know the answer but I'm bumping the thread so others will see it.

Peg

I don't think it should be a problem it seems about the same as my Dioralyte just the Glucose is a lot higher in yours. I would guess it would be OK maybe just dilute it more than it says :)

Back