peculiar bunny habits & some concerns

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cagimi

Reaction score
My bunny is about 8 months old and I got her 2 months ago, so I think I'm getting decently well-versed in her behavior (she is my first bunny). She does have some strange habits, though, and I was wondering if they are normal:

1. she isn't scared of the vacuum--this I just don't get. My dogs back home (my parent's house), the pitbull and labrador, will cower in fear and the pitbull apparently stalked and killed the roomba that my mom bought. Helena, though, will run from it at first, then come sit next to it and watch it go. If I detach the hose, she sits on the brush part! She also likes to jump on the roomba until it starts and then jump off. Is she just completely fearless, and should I be concerned by that...?

2. sometimes when she is tired (I presume), she will flop on her side head first. It looks like it must hurt but she does it a lot--she isn't injuring her head, is she?

3. do bunnies like music? she doesn't seem to care when I play my normal stuff when I'm working, but my sister played the Nyan cat song and Helena flipped out. Like, jumping in circles and doing sprints. I'm wondering now if my music annoys her, but I can't exactly ask...

4. She used to be very good with her litter-box, keeping her poo on one side and the hay on the other. Now she flings her hay around the whole thing and evenly distributes her poop. Is there a way to get her back to being normal? If not, that's fine, but it is harder to clean every day.

5. Sometimes I have to work late at the library or something--doing my undergrad thesis this year. I live with my sister, who works from home, so she won't ever be alone for a really long time, but I'm worried that she'll get distressed. I know bunnies have their routines, but she tends to give me the "it is time for you to pet/feed me, plebeian" attitude, so I'm also not sure if she'll actually care...

6. She doesn't seem to eat a lot of hay. I know that hay is supposed to be 80% of a bunny's diet so I always leave ample amount of it out, but I feel like I'm throwing out more than half of what I leave for her. I feed her about 1c of lettuce/greens in the morning and again at night, and about 1/4 c of pellets at night, which the vet and every book seems to think is best (she is 4.5 lbs). I've bought her basically every kind of hay available, but she would rather eat bits of paper and the cardboard hay-holder toys that I made her. I even left the giant bag of timothy hay on the floor for her to get at, and she just made a mess. I tried putting freeze-dried banana chip pieces in the hay, and she just rooted through it until she got them. Would she prefer it if I put ketchup on it...(just kidding)

7. I bought a fluffy paper-based bedding for her cage, which seemed to like for a few days and then she shoved it around her cage in a very disgruntled manner. When I cleaned her cage out last time, I didn't put in any bedding, just paper and some torn up old shirts of mine, and she just scratches at it. I know bunnies like to dig, but is she just digging for fun or has my cage-bedding displeased her? I just want her to be happy, and I feel like she is frustrated with me...

8. She has started jumping out of her pen, and I don't know how. She isn't very big, and I can barely climb over the fence I put up (and I'm 5'7"). I think she might be jumping on top of her cage (I leave the cage door open so she can nap in her cage and play outside of it when she wants) and from there to a sofa, but they aren't exactly close together. Exactly how high/far can bunnies jump, and how can I get her to stop? I'll come home and find her exploring places that she isn't supposed to be in (like the bathrooms with the cleaning supplies or my sister's room with the sea of electronics & musical equipment) and eating computer cables. We put up a baby gate, but she will either knock it over or yank on it with her teeth till it falls over, and then walk over it. The only thing that seems to stop her is a closed door that requires opposable thumbs to open.

9. When she gets into hyper, sprinting-like-a-comet mode, she will occasionally come over and try to push me over--she nudges me lightly, then with serious gusto. Then she hops away. After a few minutes she comes back, nudges, then hops away. She does this a few times and then gives up. I tried playing "follow the bunny" once, but she sprinted away and thumped her discontent, so I stopped, but that was before the nudging started. Has she decided that she wants to play now, or is Timmy trapped in the well? What exactly am I supposed to be doing?

if anyone can shed some light, I'd be incredibly grateful!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, let's see here

#2 The "dead bunny flop" means she happy as can be! Some bunnies do this with more flair than others. Mine just kind of roll over. I'm sure her head is fine :D
#4 Is she spayed? It may be hormones...If she is, maybe she just wants her cage to stay the same so she can get used to it (whether you keep the tshirts or use bedding- also in regards to #7)
#6 Have you tried different varieties of hay and grass? Mine LOVE Orchard grass. You can also try Bermuda grass. Mix it all together in a nice hay meal!
#9 sounds adorable! Nose bonks sometimes mean, "hey look at me!" or sometimes "get outta my way!" Or maybe she want to play! Will she let you pet her after she nudges you? If not, I bet it's just playfulness :)

She sounds like a doll! I think we need pictures :)

#1--it's just her personalty. Agnes is terrified of the vacuum but thunder and my sons loud toys she doesn't blink an eye
#2-yep, that's the dead bunny flop. She's content! :)
#3-bunnies are funny little creatures and receptive to things. If she is running and flipping it sounds like she is doing a binky which is the term to describe that and they do that when they are happy
#4-if she isn't spayed I would get her spayed. But just be happy that she is going in her box. There isn't a way to tell her where to poop while in there :)
#5-bunnies do like routine but she will be fine.
#6-it sounds like you are feeding her correctly but if she really isn't eating hay at all you may try cutting back on pellets a bit. Also, some bunnies prefer to "hunt" for their hay like in the wild. You can hide some in toys or scatter it about in different places. It may encourage her to eat more
#7-bunnies can be very opinionated about their cages. Especially unspayed females. I am not a fan of bedding and will never use it. I use baby blankets
#8-your bunny just may be a climber and jumper. Agnes is too. Different buns can climb and jump over different things. You'll have to be smarter than she is (haha tough sometimes I know) to keep her confined
#9-Timmy is definitely in the well.
No really a nose bonk is just a way to get your attention, say hi or get out of my way.

I think your bunny sounds happy and healthy and quite the character. I think you are doing everything right.

agnesthelion wrote:
#6-it sounds like you are feeding her correctly but if she really isn't eating hay at all you may try cutting back on pellets a bit. Also, some bunnies prefer to "hunt" for their hay like in the wild. You can hide some in toys or scatter it about in different places. It may encourage her to eat more
I have both timothy and alfalfa available for my babies and I have three different hay stations set up - two in the condo - second floor one's just alfalfa, third floor one's just timothy and then I have a third out in their pen with both. I've noticed that they routinely eat from all three spots :)

Latest posts

Back