Pebbles isn't acting like herself

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spring

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I went to feed the bunnies this morning, and was quite worried by Pebbles reaction. Pebbles loves food, and will come charging and grunting when I put the dish down, almost trying to eat out of the bowl while I'm putting it down. This morning, she didn't even move when I came in, and didn't even attempt to get up and eat when I put the bowl down, which is really strange for her. She ate her pellets, hay and veggies from last night, and there was pee and half the poop as usual in her litter box, but still quite a bit.

I let her out for a run and she did come out, but flopped against the wall on the tile. She got up andsat near where behind the freezer was, so I tried to get her to move away because I didn't want her going back there and not coming out, so I had to pick her up. She didn't put up a struggle at all and just sat there, which is very unusual. When I put her down, she hopped in her box and she's still in there now. She won't touch her favourite food, apples and oatmeal either.

It's been cool and rainy lately, and now it's quite warm and sunny today, so I have a feeling it might be the change in temperature. I put the fan in the rabbit room pointing up, and that seems to help. I went down and Pebbles ears were coolish warm, so I just turned the fan to low. I'm freezing a couple of water bottles now too.

I also was also 4 hours late feeding them because I slept in, so that might have thrown her off too.

I'm going to pick up another bottle of gas medicine because I had to throw my last bottle out. I'll see how she is tonight, then hopefullyphone to book her to see the vet.

Yep, start with the gas medicine. I find that when I am late feeding Misty she gets gas- same thing.. doesn't really look too interested in the food.

Also if you want to cool her down a bit - put some of the water on her ears. I usually jusy dip my hands in the water and wipe them all over their ears. Quick way to cool them down if too hot.

Oh no. I hope it's just the weather change, I know mine are really lazy if it's a bit warm out and we don't have the a/c on. Come on Pebbles! the gas meds are a good idea, just in case that's what it is.

Keep us posted.

Now you have two bunnies acting strange;).

Pebbles seems to be doing a bit better. Her ears seem cool, which is weird because of the heat. The fan hasn't been on for a few hours so I'm really not sure :?. I put her water bowl in front of her and she drank a bit, and was nibbling on some oats in her pellets dish when I left. She's moving around more and seems perkier.

My brother will probably be home in half hour to take me to get the gas medicine.

Update!

I checked the little rascal and she was in her litter box. She ate a leaf of lettuce and left two a bit deformed but firm droppings.

I'd continue to keep a close eye on her (I know you already are doing that!) and get to the vet if things don't resolve themselves. After going through this a few months ago, I'm not inclined to want to wait around if things don't start getting better after the simethicone.

See http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html for good, helpful info.

She was eating some hay an hour or so ago when I went to check her. I just checked her now and there's some clumps of wet droppings in her litter box. She was starting to nibbling on her pellets too.

My mom phoned andisbringing some gas meds on her break, so I should have them any time now.

Spring wrote:
I'm going to pick up another bottle of gas medicine because I had to throw my last bottle out.

Slightly off topic, what happened to your last bottle? I had a full bottle of Ovol, ended up leaving the dropper in it for a month or two I think, and it melted ... or something. Looked really weird. Wondering if that happened to you?

s

I think I forgot to wash the dropper after using it. I hadn't used it since Pebbles' last gas attack (can't even remember when that was, but quite awhile back) and then when I opened it,the tip of the dropper looked like it had mould in it, so I just chucked it.

Spring wrote:
I think I forgot to wash the dropper after using it. I hadn't used it since Pebbles' last gas attack (can't even remember when that was, but quite awhile back) and then when I opened it,the tip of the dropper looked like it had mould in it, so I just chucked it.

Sort of a dark, gooey mould? If so, same with mine.

sas

Dunno, but I wasn't impressed. Cost $10!!

Better make a note of that for future warnings re: how to store it. I didn't see anything on the bottle saying not to use the dropper as a cap.

Let's sue 'em!

How's Pebbles?

sas ;)

Yeah, I really am not sure. The dropperwas the cap, so unless I use a syringe not sure what they expect people to use! I just figured it was because I didn't wash the dropper after, and it went bad. I just had it in a shoe box with all my other bunny stuff, so I have no clue.

Pebbles is stretched out at the moment. I felt her tummy and it does seem quite soft, poor baby. There's some morewet mushyround droppings in her litter pan, so hopefully once she starts eating more hay that'll go back to normal..She ate a few pellets and some parsley since I last updated, but still not quite herself. I am hoping that its just gas and the baby meds will help.

Pebbles is doing so much better! She ate all the veggies I left for her this afternoon along with her pellets from this morning. She charged like usual (Never thought I could be happier about a charging, grunting bunny, but I was thrilled!;)) and started to nibble on the pellets for this evening. I put some more oats and she gobbled those up. She's been munching on hay throughout the night while I was with the girls too.

She seemed ok, then she flopped over and seemed a bit uncomfortable. I gave her some tummy massages and could feel the gas bubbles moving under my fingers, so thought I'd better give her some. I finally got the gas meds, so tried to see if she would take it straight from the dropper so I didn't have to wrap her up. What a good little girl! She seemed to enjoy it and was tugging at the dropper wanting more. I got 2 droppers full into her, so that'll probably be good!

Hopefully by tomorrow she'll be back to her normal self..

And the bunny adventures continue! :shock::biggrin2:

Yea, Pebbles!

Instead of getting the bunny-butt, she has to make you go through the whole guilt trip of not feeding her on time. :p

Now back to work slave! (bows to rabbit).

Rainbows! :)

P.S. What exactly is this gas medicine, and where do you get it?

That's for sure! Such a silly girl! ;)

It's for babies, and I buy the Oval kind in the pink box. I'm pretty sure you can findit at most grocery stores or pharmacies in the baby section. Works wonders on a bunny with gas!

Latest posts

Back