Peanuts and other nuts in rabbit food

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aliena

Reaction score
I was under the impression that peanuts and other nuts aren't actually meant to be eaten by rabbits and yet I see them in pellet mixes all the time. Should I let my rabbits eat them or continue to pick them out?

What pellet mixes have peanuts? I'd love to hear the protein, fiber and fat counts on the contents list. (And calories if it lists them).

The best pellet isn't a mix, just plain pellets which are less fattening and higher in fiber. They shouldn't be too high in protein, either.

Some seeds are okay but again some are fattening and/or hard to digest. (Peanuts are really fattening).

Fruit bits are pretty sugary. Depending on the weight and health of your rabbit, fruit should be given as a fresh treat.

You're already in the land of lucerne. I think its hard to find grass hay there, so rabbits are already stuck with high protein lucerne/alfalfa for hay.

ETA: Lots of veggies is a better bet.

sas :bunnydance:

I would continue to pick them out. Sadly, even though stores advertise certain foods as safe or even beneficial to a diet, it can be far from the truth. There are plenty of very bad foods in the grocery store for humans, as an example. It wont kill you, but over time can have ill effects on the body. Nuts/Seeds are usually high in fat and overall not a necessary part in the diet of a healthy rabbit.

:bunny24

I would buy plain pellets - not the mixes. Pretty much nothing in those mixes (other than the pellets) are good for the rabbit at all.

Well my bunnies all get just plain pellets (the highest fibre I can find) but someone at work gave me this mix thing they didn't need and it has meadow hay, oat straw and that sort of thing plus some fruits (pineapple, banana chips and raisins) and then nuts(peanuts, walnuts and almonds). So I don't want to waste it and thought I'd give it to the rabbits as a treat but so far I pick out all the nuts andalmost all the banana chips. Plus it has corn and I'm not sure that they should be eating that either? Should I just bin it?

Rabbits can't really digest whole corn. Actually basically nothing can digest unprocessed corn so no it's not really good for them.

I have heard horror stories of bunnies dying from sudden GI stasis. The vet did a necropsy, and found the GI/stomach literally full of corn kernels, after eating maybe a couple whole corn kernels a day. Now that is of course a horror story, and probably can't be verified, but it certainly gives me pause.

tonyshuman wrote:
I have heard horror stories of bunnies dying from sudden GI stasis. The vet did a necropsy, and found the GI/stomach literally full of corn kernels, after eating maybe a couple whole corn kernels a day. Now that is of course a horror story, and probably can't be verified, but it certainly gives me pause.

Yes, corn is bad. Can lead to stasis as it can cause impaction in the gut, I would not feed it.

I would also buy a plain pellets as others have suggested.;)

Latest posts

Back