Peanut won't eat - help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Envyme

Reaction score
Peanut is around 2 yrs old and he is an American - I think. He is always hungry and he was doing well this morning my BF said. This evening I went to take the bunnies out - I recently (10 days ago) bonded 4 of them together - they were living in pairs of 2 before. All are altered.

Anyways, I went to let him out of his cage for exercise time and usually he runs and jumps and gets super excited. This time he acted lethargic. I noticed it right away. So, I finished bringing everyone in the hallway and then started to monitor him. I felt his tummy & it feels squishy and not at all hard. But, he won't eat. I tried to syringe him some Critical Care and he was not at all wanting to eat it. He was fighting me the entire time - I gave up. Then I said well, he at least needs to try some water & he again just left it in his mouth he really didn't swallow it. I even tried pellets, vegies, and a small piece of banana - but nope....nada. He just lays there and almost seems lethargic to an extent. I pet him and he started grinding his teeth a tiny bit so I gave him a very small amount of metcam (that's all I had was a tiny bit).

I put a warm towel around him bc his ears seem cold but he wouldn't have that at all. I tried to cuddle him in the blanket but he wouldn't sit with me and as soon as he got away he laid down again and began slightly shaking his head back and forth...not super fast but kind of like what he does after he has been running around a lot.

I am going to go to the store to see if I can get some benebac or something for him!!

What should I do??

Little Update: I came back from the store where I snatched up some benibac and I gave him some and he seems to be a little better now. He is showing some signs of interest in food :pray: Thank the Lord!!! Oh, he had me worried sick! I hope he keeps improving. Maybe he is still adjusting to being a 4 some now and not just him and his gf :?

how is Peanut??.is he pooping ..what do his poops look like.?..keep him warm if he seems cold too...if he fights it then u gotta put him in a small carrier lined inside with towels...tuck him in.update us on how hes doin..

He seems to be doing much better now! Thanks for asking. :) after some tlc, warmth and benebac he seems to have snapped out of it. I just wish I knew what was going on with that and what caused it?! I mean for him to turn down food is like me turning away chocolate! It'll never happen unless I'm seriously ill.

I know what you mean, lol. Maybe just keep a close eye on him in the next few weeks to see if it comes back, if it does i would recommend a vet visit.

It might have been gas. I keep simethicone (baby gas meds) around and that is the first thing I try when a bun isn't interested in food and is acting uncomfortable. I'm glad he is feeling better!

Latest posts

Back