Peanut or Runt?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh i didnt know they had peanuts in rabbits too, i only just found out that guinea pigs with the roan gene can produce peanut babies too. Is this something in all animal breeds, the guinea pig one is the white gene and obviously the rabbit one is the dwarf one. I do so hope he survives and is just a runt. xx

Here's a side profile, their eyes are starting to open!
Bunnies.jpg

His belly has been nice and full so if he is a runt I'm sure he'll make it.

TinysMom wrote:
If I remember right from Pam Nock - there are many dwarfing genes that are not fatal - or something like that - but the double dose of this gene makes it fatal.
That would only make sense.:)Netherland Dwarfs, Jersey Woolies, Holland Lops, American Fuzzy Lops, Mini Rex, etc. are all "dwarf" breeds, as a dwarfing gene contributes to their small size. If they lack the dwarfing gene, they generally end up going overweight as seniors. These are the animals you'll often find as "brood".;)

Too cute! And VERY runty! I'm pulling for this little guy!

Like OakRidgeRabbits said, non-dwarf-gene carriers of these breeds also exist. They frequently are breeding stock, or are sold out to pet homes. Our bunny Frida was once a breeder's bunny (by the tattoo in her ear) and we think she is a non-dwarf netherland dwarf (also called a big ugly doe (or buck)). She was probably a pet at one time, although we'll never know her whole story as she came in to the humane society as a stray. At the shelter, we get a lot of surrenders that are big dwarf breeds, since they have been re-homed in pet homes and the people sometimes give them up. Benjamin is a true dwarf nethie, so we don't know how he ended up in a shelter.

Aww just too adorable.
Our last litter had a runt in it - he was doing good for about 5 days and then just went down-hill very fast.

peppa and georgie wrote:
So what do the non dwarf netherland dwarfs look like??? I am intrigued now xx Tell me more tonyshuman xx :)

Tio is a Netherland Dwarf without the dwarfing gene - here are a couple of pics..

DSCN3753.jpg

DSCN3754.jpg

Non-dwarf rabbits generally look about the same, they are just larger and exceed the show weight limit as adults since the weight limit is set for dwarfed rabbits.

Sometimes their ears and bodies will be longer than the ideal show length too. It really depends largely on the individual animal.

Once in awhile, you'll even get a non-dwarf that IS showable, just because his or her parents were very small so they turn out small enough to show too. You generally don't find out that they are genetically non-dwarfs until you breed them and don't get peanuts.

This is Benjamin (gray, dwarf) and Frida (black, we think not dwarf)
IMG_0005-1.jpg
IMG_0006-1.jpg

It's kinda hard to tell but she's a good deal larger than him and defintely out of the weight range for nethies without being fat.

Latest posts

Back