Peanut or Runt?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnsonfarm

Reaction score
What do you think? This litter is one week old today. My son is already attached to the little thing so I'm wondering if it has a chance, it seems to be fine so far.

peanut.jpg

He does looks like a peanut to me :(
Gorgeus though!

Peanuts have large heads, disproportionate to the body. From the pic, it is very hard for me to tell.

They don't always have huge heads and funny legs though, I have seen peanuts that look pretty normal but are still too small.

I would say more runt from the looks of things. You can get some none fatals which are runts though whether he will make it or not depends. Peanuts usually last a few days at most.

Do you have pics from other viewpoints? From this direction he looks like he's proportioned normally. That would make him a normal runt, which has a chance of survival.

Irishbunny, not every runt is a peanut. There are many causes of runts and they aren't always fatal, whereas the double dwarf gene that causes peanuts results in a seriously deformed baby with essentially no chance of survival beyond a few weeks.

Johnsonfarm, you can help the baby's chances by making sure he gets enough milk every day. I had to give extra feedings to my runts because they couldn't compete against the larger siblings. You can tell if it's getting enough if it's belly is nice and round like it's siblings. If it looks under fed, just hold the mom in your lap and then hold the baby under her belly.

FYI one of the runts from Jazzy's first litter turned out to be one of the largest as an adult (Myheart's Zappa).:)

Here's a pic of that litter at 10 days.
100_5809a.jpg

See those two brown bunnies? One was the biggest and the other the smallest of the litter. They ended up nearly the same size as adults. That little dutch was the second smallest and turned out to be larger than the rest of them.

He's very small, but I'm not sure that he is a peanut. My peanuts do not usually look as disfigured as the one in the picture you found, but by a week old they look very skinny and malnourished. Your kit looks to be doing pretty well and is well filled out. I am putting my money on just a runt, but we'll see what happens. :/

Oh right, I was just looking at BSAR mini rex baby pics and they had two peanuts that died and they didn't look deformed

I will try to get some different shots tomorrow, and I'll keep you updated on what happens, keeping my fingers crossed he's just a runt and makes it:)

Its hard to tell from the picture but the hindquarters do not look like a peanuts, and it appears to have decent body weight. I don't like to cull peanuts for this exact reason, I've had a lot of runts that end up perfectly healthy, smallness alone does not make a kit a peanut.

Lots and lots of pictures would help a lot I think. :p;)

I love mini-rex to pieces! That little one is so cute! I hope he's just a runt!

He doesn't look likea peanut to me. He would be much thinner and the ears are too big for a peanut. I think the other baby is big and making the little one look smaller.

Roger

kirbyultra wrote:
What's a peanut? :(
A peanut is a rabbit that has received the dwarfing gene from each parent (hence they're often called "Double-dwarf") - and the dwarfing gene they've received is fatal if they have two copies of it - its like it keeps them from thriving.

If I remember right from Pam Nock - there are many dwarfing genes that are not fatal - or something like that - but the double dose of this gene makes it fatal.

Sometimes peanuts can last weeks or maybe a couple of months - I think there was one documented case that lived over a year....but many times they die at birth or within the first few days.

Latest posts

Back