Peanut or Runt/Help Appreciated

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khloe

Reaction score
So I recently had a litter they are 5 days old. The first couple of days every thing seemed fine then I noticed one kit/baby being very tiny and he didn't have a full belly. He seems to not be able to keep his temperature up, and so I put him on a heating pad with a blanket and some fur, it works to keep him warm. Then I feed him multiple times a day and he seems like he is getting a little full but still isn't getting totally full. I feed him on the mom 3 times a day, which I flip her over, then I just use kitten milk replacer in a syringe, I have been doing this for 2 days and he doesn't seem to have a full belly. He is a Lionhead and the mom weighs 3.2 and the dad weighs from 2.8 to 3 lbs. Any help would be appreciated and if you think he is a peanut, what and how to get him fat, how long should it take him to get a full belly, a routine on feeding, how much to feed, would be great thank you, so much!

The other baby next to him is a litter mate. 20181006_135233.jpg 20181006_135229.jpg

If he is a peanut he isn't viable. It would be kinder to euthanize him, now. I don't have enough experience with peanuts to be able to tell if it is or not from the pictures. Good luck with your babies!

Thank you. I might just let nature take its path with him and leave him in the nest box with all the others, and I would love to hear more opinions before I do so.

Peanuts usually have oddly shaped heads and distinctively small ears. To me that baby doesn't appear to be a peanut, but because of it's ill thrift it could possibly have some sort of genetic condition affecting it's growth and ability to nurse. Not really easy to know what it could be. An allergy to the mom's milk is even possible.

When hand feeding, the amount varies, but a general rule is to stop when they are no longer eagerly suckling. Better to feed less and more often then to overfeed. If this baby isn't getting a full ping pong belly where you can see the white milk belly under the skin, then you are probably going to need to make sure it has frequent feedings.

Thank you. I might just let nature take its path with him and leave him in the nest box with all the others, and I would love to hear more opinions before I do so.

I hope he is just a runt and he makes it! I have a mini lop that was the runty one and he is the sweetest most wonderful little guy. 5 months old now and doing great!

Also, personally, I'd keep feeding him. I'm a bleeding heart, so if i wasn't sure about the peanut thing, I'd give him a fighting chance.

So I recently had a litter they are 5 days old. The first couple of days every thing seemed fine then I noticed one kit/baby being very tiny and he didn't have a full belly. He seems to not be able to keep his temperature up, and so I put him on a heating pad with a blanket and some fur, it works to keep him warm. Then I feed him multiple times a day and he seems like he is getting a little full but still isn't getting totally full. I feed him on the mom 3 times a day, which I flip her over, then I just use kitten milk replacer in a syringe, I have been doing this for 2 days and he doesn't seem to have a full belly. He is a Lionhead and the mom weighs 3.2 and the dad weighs from 2.8 to 3 lbs. Any help would be appreciated and if you think he is a peanut, what and how to get him fat, how long should it take him to get a full belly, a routine on feeding, how much to feed, would be great thank you, so much!

The other baby next to him is a litter mate. View attachment 38372 View attachment 38373
dear Khloe,-most humans donot put forth the effort,-I endeavor to persevere,-watch this little guy-,ensure he poops,pee,s,suckles-and if mom feeds,cleans,etc.,I always give my critters a fighting chance..if mom rejects him,then the responsibility is yours-be prepared..your doing great!-sincerely james waller for joseph r cottontail-rip

I hope he will make it, he is one of my favorites out of that litter. I plan to keep feeding him and try my best so I can to help him. Thank you all and I will keep you updated

He unfortunately passed away, he was to weak to eat and keep his body temperature up. I think he might of had something genetically wrong with him. Thank you guys for all your help.

Latest posts

Back