Peanut is tilting her head

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m.e.

Reaction score
I am so scared :nerves1Seems like her right ear is bothering her and she doesn't want to move much.

Calling the vets right now...

Okay, we have an appointment at 7:10 tonight (thank God for vets that are open late!) She and Rex are closely bonded - should I bring him too??

My poor, poor baby. My rabbits have never been ill and I'm just beside myself. She keeps trying to hop around, then thinks better of it, and returns to where she was. She's doing circles :cry2

Here's a pic:

m39693241.jpg

Oooh noo... Poor Peanut!

Hopefully it's just a little ear infection that will clear right up with some antibiotics.

And I'd bring Rex if it's easy to take the two of them, yes.

Just keep her upright, she'll lose her balance... bunny vertigo (and I can relate, I suffer from the human variety!). You may want to hold her water for her, hand feed her, and keep towels around her.

:pray::clover:prayer and best wishes...

EDIT: Oh yeah, and stay calm! She'll pick up on your stress, and she'sprobably stressed enough as it is, seeing as she doens't know what's going on either. And keeping her hyrdated shouldhelp,too... maybe soak some parsley in water for awhile and hand feed her that.

sas

First, I want to say that I really appreciate the prayers andgood thoughts :hug2

Peanut's tilt disappeared shortly after I put her and Rex into the crate, and loaded both of them into the car. When we got to the vet she was still tilt-free, and in fact, was her typical diva self, wriggling and squirming and grunting her displeasure at the vet's poking and prodding.

The vet is really great, very rabbit knowledgeable, not to mention very gentle with the bunnies. As he picked Peanut up she decided it would be a good time to let loose a few poops. "Well," he said, "That answers one of my questions."

She's healthy in nearly every respect, which is a huge sigh of relief for me. The vet did find a lot of gunk and inflammation in her right ear, and the "gunk" tested positive for bacteria. So it is an infection, albeit a mild one. Peanut will need antibiotic drops in her ear twice a day for the next week, then she'll go back in for a re-check.

[align=left][/align]
[align=left]Both Peanut and Rex were very happy to be home again (Rex is such a good boy, he went along for moral support. He even tolerated a few nose rubs from the vet - Peanut's knight in shining armor.) After eating dinner, they both settled down to groom and snuggle. Definitely an answer to prayer.
[/align]

Glad to hear all is well. I'm sure it'll clear up fine. Amber's was gone after the one week mark. BTW, isn't it funny how bunnies always seem to act better right before they go to the vet? Amber does it all the time. My vet must think we're nuts!

Learned my first lesson about medicating a rabbit today: don't do it before breakfast *sigh* Peanut was so irritated by me, and the drops, she wouldn't move from the litterbox. She did finally eat some banana chips later on, which is good because some of the poops in the litterbox were a little smaller than usual.

She's got some wetness near her nose/mouth on the right side of her face (the side she tilts towards). It's not mucousy that I can tell - I'm fairly sure that it's from their water bottle, which releases water at the slightest nudge (Water Buddy). If her face was tilted it would likely get wet. But way to scare your mom, come out with a wet nose. Oy.

She's still tilting on and off, when the ear really starts to bother her. It took her forever and a day to eat those banana chips, but I'm wondering if the action of chewing and swallowing was irritating her ear. Can other bunny owners who have dealt with this confirm?

Finally, her right eye is a bit of a mystery. I just noticed a short while ago that the membrane around her right eye is red and irritated looking. I have no idea why. Could she have poked it with a piece of hay or something? I'll be keeping an eye on it...

So my biggest concerns right now are that she continues to eat and drink. Right now she's asleep in her corner, still mad that I cleaned the litterbox. Gotta love a Diva.

She might be having trouble cleaning her eyes and face, especially on the side she tilts towards. That could be why her eye looks irritated and why she didn't clean the water off her face.

I don't remember having an ear infection myself, but I did have a throat infection that caused ear symptoms because the tissue swelled and closed a eustacian tube. When my jaw moved or I swallowed, it changed the pressure in my ear and it hurt. Maybe Peanut is having a similar problem? Her eustacian tube might be blocked from the ear side. Any chance you could call your vet for a painkiller prescription? It might help.

Poor Peanut. She looks so uncomfortable in that picture.:(

I'm hoping that those other problems are related to her ear infection and will clear up once she starts to feel better. She's also got a messy butt from the combination of pooing all over herself in the crate and at the vets, and also not wanting to clean herself because of her difficulty with balance. Even laying down she does gingerly.

She really is rather miserable :(And I hate, hate, hate to see her like this.

She did eat some dinner tonight, but it seemed to take longer than usual, and she didn't eat much. I'd coax her with veggies but that would only make poopie butt worse :?I think I'll pick up some canned pumpkin on the way home. That may encourage her to eat something she doesn't have to chew on.

The vet's office is open on the weekends (thank goodness), and if she's still really uncomfortable tomorrow I may give them a call. Like I said, she's never been sick, so to have her mopy and miserable is almost too much.

awww poor peanut,im sorry to hear that she is having a few problems,i know how worrying it can be when something is wrong with our precious one's:(

get well soon little girl,i will be keeping her in my thoughts

cheryl

Would she eat mushed-up pellets? Like you would make for syringe-feeding but maybe a little more chunky. If she likes pumpkin, you could mix some in, or some finely chopped veggies.

Good news :D

She dove into the breakfast bowl today and is currently chowing down on pellets :bunnydance:

:colors::bunnydance::elephant::colors::bunnydance::elephant:

Hooray!!!

She's doing better. Not completely out of the woods yet, but much better. She ate dinner tonight without showing signs of discomfort and overall she's much more energetic and happy.

Still, it was definitely a weekend I won't want to repeat anytime soon...:thud;)

:hug: to everyone who has read this thread and thought of my baby girl, even if you didn't type a response. It means a lot to me :)

Latest posts

Back