Peace in the litterbox?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cirlin-rah

Reaction score
Litter training rabbits... might be a misnomer. What 'training' is done by us? My deceased buns all used their box right away on their own & all I needed to do with Harrow was put the box there & he used it immediately. So litter training isn't the problem...

The problem is that he has recently started eating his litter. I use Healthy Pet Odor Control Pet Bedding, which seems to be woodpulp/paper stuff, & which is the best I have ever come across. The package has a picture of a rabbit on the front but the side reads: "Not suitable for grazers such as tortoises. Safe if ingested in small quantities."

This issue was nonexistent until I began to wean him off of food that was detrimental to his health. How detrimental? He was routinely making 2 inch long cecals & not eating them. This would happen multiple times a day. His turds were NEVER what they should be, they were either cecaly or very small & hard. After reading some comments here I switched him to Oxbow Basics T, which was absolutely astounding. The day after I started including the Oxbow pellets he began to poop normally & has had no problems since!

Today is his last day getting a mix of Oxbow & that other worthless diet. He's been a bit stubborn by leaving his Oxbow pellets for last & I'm wondering if he's eating the litter because he's hungered or because he's acting out. He used to only do it when he was in the process of voiding his bowels but I noticed him jumping in just for a snack this morning while he had a small amount of pellets in his bowl... & of course it's hard to dissuade by a face-nudge because he'll probably go somewhere else to find peace...

It's not a huge problem, just something I'm keeping an eye on. Y'all have any thoughts on this?

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with that litter so can't offer any insight on the litter itself. But as far as him eating it.....does he have unlimited access to hay? Does he have toys to play and chew on? Could it be boredom?

I use wood stove pellets for litter. My two have never eaten it. It costs $5 for a 40 lb bag and controls odor AMAZINGLY. If he continues to eat large amounts you may want to continue switching litter. If you do switch litter change it gradually so he doesn't lose his litterbox habits.

Good luck!

He has unlimited alfalfa now which will be replaced with Timothy hay as soon as the bag runs out. I hope the people I live with aren't allergic to Timothy; pretty sure they are allergic to some other kind.

We're working on toys. He has blankets & little shovels, both of which he loves, but he didn't show any interest in various stuffed animals or the woven-straw chewables I bought from the pet store. He has a passing interest in cardboard & there's plenty of that around (I keep my art supplies in cardboard boxes on the floor for him. don't mind at all if he gives a sketchbook a nibble or two).

My other buns always had each other to play with so I've never really had to consider what toys they'd like. What do your darlings use? I can't support another bunny right now but as soon as I can in a few years, he'll get a companion.

Thank you for the litter recommendation. I've seen that around & I'll give it a go if I can't wean him off of this little habit.

As far as him eating the litter. If you really like this litter but worry about the safety of him eating it, how about placing a grate over his litter. I know plenty here use them and you can get ideas from those bunny owners on what and how to use a grate.

He may just like chewing it. Have you tried giving him a phone book? Paper? Wooden toys? You could try wooden spoons. I purchased three for $1.00 at the dollar store.

A grate! Ugh, that's so obvious, why didn't I think of that. -///-

He has lots of paper & cardboard, but I like your spoons idea! But I do worry about splinters which is why I haven't bought him any wooden toys, even though that is what he got before he was given to me. Is that just paranoia; have you ever had a problem with splinters?

Latest posts

Back