PAWS Foster Bunny Died: Stasis?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiaP

Reaction score
One of our foster moms called me in tears this morning to let me know that one of her foster buns passed away. She has been fostering two bonded brothers, neutered male harlequin rexes, Berry and Bramble. There was more food left in the cage this morning than there usually is, and she noticed a couple of hours later that Bramble was laying in an odd position and seemed to be dying. Then, he died right there. Both rabbits appeared to be fine when they were out getting their exercise time yesterday.

She is very upset and kind of panicking about what it might have been and whether Berry will also be affected. And worried about his grief, too.

My guess was stasis, because of the food observation, and knowing that if two buns are in one cage, he might have not been eating or pooping for a couple of days without anyone noticing, if his brother was doing both.

If it was stasis, it will be our second case of stasis in foster bunnies in the past month. The last one was caught in time and dental issues were found to be the cause.

But, I am very inexperienced, so I don't know what the other options might be. She is having a vet friend look at the body tonight, and look at Berry's teeth, etc., She said that his tummy seemed to swell up after he died. I haven't been around a dead rabbit to know whether this is typical or not.

I last saw the bunnies two weeks ago at an adoption event and they looked perfect and very happy. We are all so sad.

Well, I'm new myself to the wonderful world of rabbits, however, I have been reading and researching, thus learning. ;)

First off, I'm really sorry to hear about the loss of the poor bun. :(

GI stasis could have been the cause, although, there are probably so many other complications that could have resulted in the death of the bun. Usually with GI stasis, anorexia is a common trait, along with few to no feces (as you know yourself). An enlarged abdomen is also a common trait, however, deceased animals tend to swell after death as rigormortis sets in. Was the rabbit very lethargic; more so than usual at least?

If I were to take a wild guess, maybe volvulus could be a possibility. The only reason I would have reason to believe this is because you said the rabbit died suddenly like. Volvulus had a rapid onset, where bunnies may have seemed completely normal a few hours before. Some of the symptoms include anorexia, enlarged abdomen (was the abdomen enlarged before death at all, or just after?), constipation, dehydration, rapid heart beat etc. Very quick deterioration of the body happens due to endotoxemia (the release of endotoxins in the system - produced by certain bacterias). The only treatment would have been surgical correction (as volvulus is the twisting of the intestines, causing blockage)...otherwise rabbits commonly die within 24 hours. This particular condition is mostly wide spread through out older buns [how old was the bunny that passed away]?

I'm no expert either, so we're basically in the same boat here. All I can do is form an educated guessof what it could have been from the details you gave. An autopsy could be done to be sure whatever the cause was it is not contagious (I don't know your views on the matter, I'm only suggesting). I hope things work out, and turn around a bit for the foster buns. :clover:

Hi,

First, I am so sorry for the loss. I know we get so attached to our fosters even though we know their stay is temporary...it'a always tough. I even get attached to the wildlife and even though I know I have been personally successful when it's time to release them, it is still difficult.

Stasis is always a symptom of something else. It could be caused by anything. Without a necropsy, anything as a root cause would be a guess....and even with anecropsythere still might be questions. Stasis is usually caused by something that is not being eaten...or something that was eaten that shoudn't have been. Carpet is a major cause of gut issues. Something else to consider at this time is problems with the food...and I know I have mentioned this before, but mycotoxins are a concern. Mycotoxins can be "spot" toxins and be in only one small area. I have twin Havana brothers that were afflicted with mycotoxin poisoning (along with many of my other rabbits) some time ago. I would have thought that both would have become violently ill since they have never been separated and ate together. One nearly died....the other just lost his appetite. Odd. Volvulus (intestinal torsion, gut twist, gut tie or whatever anyone calls it) is extremely rare in rabbits. I have only seen that one time and it was in a paralyzed rabbit that actually twisted it's entire lower half. If this did happen, it would not be correctable. The damage from loss of blood flow would cause the blocked tissue to die. Major gut surgery in a rabbit, even by the best of the best vets, has a dismally low success rate. I know of some other species that this can happen in and surgery is performed and is successful...but it would be very unlikely a rabbit could survive intestinal torsion.

We have had thissituation happen right here in our rescue. It is one of those little mysteries that are rabbits. I would suspect some type of gut problems since you mentioned it appeared the rabbit bloated at death. I witnessed that when I lost a beautiful dwarf Hotot from confirmed mycotoxin poisoning. Just as he died, his gut blew up like a balloon. In his case, the actual cause of death was a perforated gastric ulcer caused by irritation of the intestinal wall by a bacteria called clostridium. We knew we had some mycotoxin issues and had purged all the food and hay...and we had problems with this particular hay for several years about the same time each year until we stopped using it when we saw the trend. We were treating all the afflicted buns for toxicity. Maxx was starting to eat and was starting to poop again but with a bit of mucus. He was doing OK when I left for work. Back a few hours later for lunch, he was on his side and his gut bloating...and I could see it doing just that. Before I could execute emergency procedures, he kicked, screamed and that was it as the ulcer ruptured.

The only thing I can suggest is a review of all your husbandry protocols. Make sure the buns don't have access to things that can cause harm. Make sure they are getting proper hay and water. And this might sound odd....but we have learned what each of our rabbit's (those that are living with others anyway) poops look like normally. Even our twins are slightly different. But by knowing that, we can tell if something is out of the ordinary. That is a bit difficult to do with incoming multiple rabbits...but something that should be considered.

Randy

Im so sorry you lost this little one. As others have mentioned, its difficult to guess without a necropsy. Usually with stasis and gas you wil see signs even if you cant tell a bunny's poops and food apart because hes in with a friend. They will usually appear lethargic and in pain beforehand.

I do have a suggestion for Berry, if she can find a stuffed animal that is about the size of Bramble (its a good time of year for finding all sizes of stuffed bunnies) it might help to put it in the cage with him. It often helps the surviving bunny to not feel so lonely.

Im so sorry for this little one. I know its never easy.

Haley

Thank you all for that information. It does help to be reminded that these things happen to others, and I will pass that along to the foster mom. Since the bunny wasn't in my home, I am not sure what the carpet access, etc., was. I do know she had bought a new type of food the day before, but I think by that time Bramble already wasn't eating, since that was the food that was left in the cage the next morning which was her first clue that something was off.

She did buy Berry some stuffed toys, I hope it helps.

It does seem that bunnies have more unpredictable episodes than I am used to with my dogs (I am new to bunnies). Just last week, my bunny Winter started sneezing. I brought him home from the shelter in September with a horrible case of sneezing and coughing and refusing to eat. He started eating literally as soon as I got him to my house and offered fresh foods, and within a couple of days, the sneezing was gone and his nose was dry and clean.

This is March, and he started sneezing! I asked the vet about it when I was there with my guinea pig this week (UTI) and he said that some rabbits just have to stay on antibiotics their whole lives (pulse therapy) to cope with upper respiratory they picked up at birth.

I've never heard of that!

It may be just allergies. Sometimes they get something stuck up their noses. I noticed that my rabbits will sneeze once in a while.

First time I ever heard about staying on antibotics for a lifetime. I think that is misinformation.

Latest posts

Back