Patience is a virtue...or is this something else?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timbaland

Reaction score
Besides small scabs on the genitalia what are symptoms of Rabbit VD? I don't believe my rabbits have VD but i've been trying to get offspring from this one pairing for months and...zip! Nada! Nothing!

Shaded Night Rabbitry wrote:
Are they both proven with other rabbits? If not; I'd imagine someone in the pair is infertile.

No the pair isn't. I am truly hoping the pair isn't infertile. This pairing was a request from quite a few folks...:'C ESPECIALLY ME! I wan't to see the face of my grand children already!

I mean. Has the buck ever bred another doe (resulting in a litter), and has the doe ever been bred (and had a litter) before?

No they haven't neither are proven. I'm asking about Rabbit VD becuase I'm about to switch them into another pairing to see what would happen.

I'd definitely try them. Personally, I'd think it's more likely to be the buck. i've ~never~ had a problem getting a doe bred. Dead litters, yes, but they always get bred.

=/

I'm not quite sure at this point. The buck is still young but certainly has ejaculated. I have another doe and buck in season I can try. However if I cross them out the offspring in both cases will have to be mixed breeds...

What are the tests for Rabbit VD?

Why do you have suspicions of VD in the first place?

Other than sores and scabs in the genital area, the rabbit will also be sick in the nose. It looks like a cold, where their noses are runny. They may also have sores and scabs around the mouth and nose as well.

lelanatty wrote:
Why do you have suspicions of VD in the first place?

Other than sores and scabs in the genital area, the rabbit will also be sick in the nose. It looks like a cold, where their noses are runny. They may also have sores and scabs around the mouth and nose as well.

Well as I said I don't believe they have VD. Now Im just bluntly curious about the disease.

Thanks for the symptom list, none of my rabbits are displaying these. Healthy as can be...but no babies. I'm going to try a little bit of apple cider vinegar in the water with my spare doe and buck to try to get them ready. I've done this before but never with water bottles, a table spoon each will do it right?

lelanatty wrote:
Strange. How old are the rabbits?
6 & 8 1/2 months. The doe is going onto 9 months soon. They both are ready and willing, the doe lifts and sometimes she even goes around to mount him. The buck has been ejaculating since about 3 months...first time was on my shoe. I decided after that he was ready. Haha.

They are probably still too young. The doe isn't but the buck may just not be effective yet. How long have you been trying to breed them?

lelanatty wrote:
They are probably still too young. The doe isn't but the buck may just not be effective yet. How long have you been trying to breed them?

Since the doe turned 6 months. 24 successful lifts that I have witnessed, I'm sure there were more. I've had bucks fertile at 2 1/2 months. The buck may be green behind the ears but he certainly knows what he's doing.

lelanatty wrote:
How often do you try to breed them?

Every ten-twelve days they stay together for about 1-2 days. It depends on how many times she lifts.

Latest posts

Back