Pasturella

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raspberry82

Reaction score
I was just wondering, if it does turn out that my bun has pasturella, it is safe for me to still pet and handle her, right? As in, humans can't get it or anything? Thanks! Just wanted to make sure.

Yes, it's ok for you to handle her, just always be thorough with your hand washing before and after, and before handling any other buns. I also go the extra mile and do the same before handling my other pets. It probably is not contagious to cats or dogs, but I just feel better scrubbing down and then cleaning with a nice anti bacterial hand sanitizer.

Zin

Oh yes, no worries there. You just have to be careful around other bunnies and be sure to wash your hands etc between handling them.

Im going to move this to the infirmary in case you have further questions. Also, you should check out the Library section on Pasteurella. Theresa lot of great info there for further reading.

GoinBackToCali wrote:
Yes, it's ok for you to handle her, just always be thorough with your hand washing before and after, and before handling any other buns. I also go the extra mile and do the same before handling my other pets. It probably is not contagious to cats or dogs, but I just feel better scrubbing down and then cleaning with a nice anti bacterial hand sanitizer.

Zin

:yeahthat:
Yep! But especially if you have other buns, this is a must.;).

(thisZinny (another name first, haha) is gonna kick my butt:devil, just kidding)

There is little risk to humans. Those at most risk are the very young, very old and those withdepressed immune systems (especially cancer patients and organ donor recipients). Pasteurella infections are generally transmitted to humans through bite or scratch wounds. On rare occasions, humans have developed severe eye infections or pneumonia from Pasteurella multocida.

Healthy adults following good hygiene guidelines are at almost no risk from contracting Pasteurella from their rabbit ;)

Pam

Hi Raspberry,

Actually, you already have pasteurella. It is carried sub-clinically in the respiratory systemsin all warm blooded mammals and many birds. The only ones at true risk are the very young, the elderly and those with suppressed immune systems such as serious illnesses or those on steroids (as Pam stated). But as with any pathogen, good sanitiation is in order and usually a good hand washing works well. If you have a really acute case in a rabbit, we usually handle that rabbit last and we change clothes too...ever wonder what the real purpose of a lab coat is? Easy to switch to prevent the spread of germs. In reality, you are much more likely to acquire a nasty bug from a public restroom than you are from your rabbit. But in a person with a healthy immune system, there is little risk as human's immune systems can easily handle this bacteria.

Randy

Thank you Pam, Randy. That is good to know. I do have a minor illness at the moment (getting over lyme disease) so I'm going to be extremely careful with sanitation (I do currently take herbal forms of antibiotics/anti-virals, etc as well). Our new bun has an appointment at 9:30am today at the Vet so we'll soon know what's what.

Latest posts

Back