Pasteurellose is winnig

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myhairyrabbit

Reaction score
It is me again, with my sick bunny again.My spayed, 8 years old angora bunny has a respiratory tract infection.She has been on various form of antibiotics since march at least.In may, she has been given 4 intramuscular injections every three days ( Duplocillin) .As of the 8Th of june, she has had 0.5ml of Duplo injected subcutaneously every two days.One month later she was doing pretty good, almost no abnormal breathing sound, her weight was ok, no eye or nose discharge.Then, we switched to once every three days.Today, she is has bad as when we started the treatment, she is starting to lose a little bit of weight( from 7.0 she is now 6.8 ) , she has turned into a fussy eater and for some reason giving the Duplo ervery three days is much harder ( the darn penicillin just won't get out of the syringe it feels concrete based ).On top of everything, she has had a fit of convulsion last night.She was on her side and her legs were moving wildly, her eyes were open.She could almost have been dreaming.Of course when she got back up she looked at me with the just WHAT are you looking at ??? Everything pretty much back to normal today.

I am scheduled to see the vet in a week but I will call back tomorrow to change the date and until then I'll go back to once every other day.

If anyone has any, any, idea of what I should do, let me know.My vet doesn't want to do a culture and she does not recommend Zithromycin/Zythromax because it causes abcess and loss of appetite.

ShouldI change vet, should I just keep injecting every two days, should I change medication ? This disease is just plain nasty.

Pasteurella really *is* a horrible disease, I agree! What are her symptoms? It sounds like if she's been on a bunch of different meds for 4 months without them helping, then maybe you really shouldn't leave her on them. Does she get worse off of them? Alot of meds make them sick (turn their tummy) and therefore they won't eat. In some cases like that where the meds aren't seeming to help, it could be better to go off them and see what happends (After talking it over with the vet of course).

Has it been diagnosed for sure as Pasteurella Moltocida? HAve you had a Culture and Sensitivity test done? That can tell exact bacteria involed so the appropriate medicine for that bacteria can be used. Otherwise, its picking and poking.

It Would have been better to treat her with 2 strong antibiotics at one time . I would see another vet but you need "rabbit knowledgeable" Zithromax and biciliin are a good combo . Might also want to try chlorampenical.

Zithromax is given orally here and sometimes causes marked decrease in appetite but not always.

The penicillin is easy to inject if it is diluted with lactated ringers solution or sterile water. I have done this many times...also prevents the creation of sterile abscesses

forum list of vets

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12669&forum_id=9

Thanks for your answers.My vet is supposed to be rabbit knowledgeable ( hum ).

Chloamphenicol doesn't work anymore, at least, last time it was used it dd not work.

I will definitley ask for a dilution of Duplocillin even though lactated ringers sounds like an exotic skin disease and I will also check for two antibiotics at the same time.

Of course, bunbun is tip top shape tonight, go figure.

Latest posts

Back