Pasteurella

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is expensive but see if the Zithromax will work. It is very strong only med that has trully helped Ringo.

Hi JadeIcing!

Thank you for your suggestion :).

I will ask the vet about Zithromax and theBaytril which Haley mentioned, but I am not sure if the culture test results have shown that what Layla has can be treated with these. I'll be seeing the vet later today so I will find out what the other antibiotic that could treat this is called.

Thank you again for your help!

Hi!

Zithromax is still not widely known.:bunnydance:

Hi JadeIcing,

I saw the vet today and she told me that theother antibiotic the culture test showed should be effective is Baytril.

Iasked her aboutZithromax and she said that she wanted to try the Baytril first, so I guess I will wait and see if this works.

Thank you for your advice, I think Zithromax will be the next plan of action if the Baytril doesn't clear this up.

I hope the Baytril works! Let us know if you need help getting her to take it, I have lots of recipes and tricks:DIs it in tablet form or injectable?

Hi Haley!

Thank you :)

The Baytril is in liquid form so I just syringe feed it like her previous medicine. The vet said I can mix it with some grenadine for flavour.

ahh yes, grenadine works wonders. If it is the injectable (which is the clear liquid that can be given orally as well)it has a really nasty smell/taste so I always mixed it up pretty good.

Sending lots of prayers and good vibes your way.

Thank you so much Haley, I really appreciate it.

It is a clear liquid so I think it's the injectable. I will add lots of grenadinefor flavour because Layla is really stubborn and lets things dribble out of her mouth if it doesn't taste good.

The Baytril must taste pretty awful, I'm finding it very hard to make her swallow this. She sort of spitsit out while making a growling noise when I tryto feed it to her. I'm worried she isn't getting the proper dosage because of this. :?

As my usual vet is away, there is no apple and banana flavoured critical care left at the vet clinic (she usually orders this). Instead I was given a different flavour which smellspretty foul (like licorice) which Layla won't touch. I'm hoping I can find another vet which stocks critical care here as Layla isn't eating as much as she usually does on her own.

I found a way to make her drink lots of water though. I've started mixing a spoon full of apple and strawberry fruit puree into a bowl of water, and she has been drinking it like mad. :)

Eve, I don't know whether you have this in your neck of the woods but I used a small amount of Ribena (black currant cordial) with the Baytril when I had to give it to Lacey - she was exactly the same as Layla, she didn't like the taste so she just let it dribble out of her mouth - clever bunnies. But she loved the Ribena so much that she actually got all excited every time I gave her Baytril.

Hi rabb1tmad!

Thank you so much for the advice, I will try giving it to her with some Ribena cordial tomorrow. I tried givingthe Baytrilto her with somegrenadine today, but that didn't help much. Maybe I didn't add enough of it and it still tasted awful. I'm hoping she will be a fan of the Ribena.

That is so cute about your bun getting excited about the Ribena flavoured Baytril. :D

Thanks again for the suggestion!

You might want to try some sort of baby food too - maybe banana or banana strawberry or something?

Peg

Hi TinysMom!

Thanks for the idea! I don't know why I didn't think to mix the meds with something banana and strawberry flavoured, since I already know she's a fan of that.

I tried some Ribena syrup with her evening dose of meds, but she still lets most of it dribble out of her mouth. She is such a stubborn bunny.

Baby food might be really good because it's more solid and probably won't flow straight out of her mouth like the liquid is. I will pick some baby food up and try that tomorrow morning. Thank you :)

On a seperate note, Layla is so cute when I take her to the bathroom to breathe in some steam when I have a shower. She keeps digging at the glass door with her front paws like she wants to come in.

Im sorry youre having trouble!

When you give her the meds (baytril and grenadine) are you using a syringe and putting it in the side of her mouth? Do you have her wrapped in a burrito so she cant move much? As much as Max hated his meds, I dont think he ever spit it out.

The thing I found with the baby food was that it didnt mask the nasty baytril taste unless you buy a darker one like blueberries or something.

For her food, have you tried just making your own pellet slurry? I found the critical care was too expensive, so I just ground up the pellets with a coffee grinder, added some pumpkin and apple flavored pedialyte..and it is his favorite.

I'll be praying for sweet Layla. Shes lucy to have such an attentive mommy.

Eve - I'm sorry to hear that Layla didn't like the Ribena. Keep trying as I am sure you will come across something that will work soon - even fussy eaters have a weakness!

Hi Haley :)

Thank you for your ongoing help, I really appreciate it.

When I am giving Layla the meds, I have been putting the syringe in the side of her mouth. I have her wrapped in a burrito but she gets so mad it doesn't work too well. She makes it very hard to wrap her in the towel and hold her still because she is quite strong and thrashes around so much. Even when I have her wrapped firmly and have my boyfriend holding her, she is somehow able to squirm around till she is facing the opposite direction in the towel or manages to get out completely.

Shecan alsopretty much move her headexorcist-movie styleand bite my arm when I try to put the syringe in. I just don't know how else to do it all because I am scared if I hold her any tighter she will hurt her spine.Evenboth of myvets have said she is fiesty and very hard to handle, andhave to go out the back to get nurses to help hold her.

Thefunny thing is that after it's allover,aftera fewminutesshe comes right over and cuddles up next to me waiting to be petted, as if I am already forgiven. It's almost like hernaughty behavior is a bit of agame to her.

Thank you for the tip about the baby food not masking the baytril flavour. I bought some strawberry baby food and mixed in some strawberry natural syrup for added flavour. It was still hard getting her to take it, but it looks like when the mixture is thicker she can't just let it dribble out and eventually takes little swallows.

As for the pellet slurry, I was planning on making some today, but noticed that Layla ended up eating the little critical care balls I had made for her during the night. So it looks like she has settled for the other flavour.

Hi rabb1tmad :)

I am starting to think I won't come across anything Layla will like with her meds. She is such a fiesty little princess.The Ribena idea is great though, I will try it on my other bun if he ever needs meds. He loves blueberries and raspberries etc so I think he would like this.

I say its different for every bun. When I was grinding up the zithromax I tried everything everyone said. Finally tried grated carrots. That worked.

Now that you mention it, I think I remember this about Layla, was she the one who you had to have family come over and help hold her down? I think that was her, if I remember correctly?

I have a bunny like this:Lucy. She squirms and fusses no matter how tightly I have her wrapped. Have you tried maybe taking her into a room she is unfamiliar with when you give her the meds? Maybe she wouldnt be so fussy if she was a bit frightened?

If youre really struggling, you could ask about trying an injectable antibiotic. That might be easier than trying to get in in her mouth.

Oh, and one more thing, once shes wrapped, are you flipping her or holding her upright? I found with Max, if I tried to flip him at all he freaked..but when I wrapped him and held him close to my body (sitting on my lap) that worked better.

Sending lots of prayers your way. I know how frustrating this is!

Hee hee! I'm just imagining the exorcist-style head!:D

Have you tried mixing her meds in a bit of mushed up banana?I used to put Fey's meds in a bit of canned pumpkin, but I don't know if you can get that there. Plus Fey is much easier to handle.:)

Much love to you! :hug:

Latest posts

Back