Parsely.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I try not to feed my rabbits anything more than three or four days in a row before giving them a two or three day break, although parsley and carrot tops often slip in there as a daily deal.

I prefer the Italian parsley, as do my rabbits, but we switch between the two a lot. They probably get too much parsley. The store down the block sells it for 3 big bunches for $1.

ETA: They get the parsley along with at least five other salad ingredients.

sas :bunnydance:

I don't think that Parsley has any special limitations like Kale or Spinach. Lily also prefers the Italian flat-leaf parsley, but she'll eat the curly too. It's just the last thing to go.

Lily gets a base salad mix of romaine, leaf lettuce, and endive. At breakfast I give her some kind of herb (parsley, basil, mint, etc...) and a little bit of fruit (currently papaya). At lunch she gets the salad and a little bit of tomato or carrot. Dinner is plain but I refresh her hay ball and hay rack.

I give parsley every night, the flat leaf kind. I just make sure that I don't give too much. Beatrice really likes it. She also gets some carrot and apple as well.

We grow several sorts of parsley and it is a frequently served item, several times a week at least. She loves it! I do believe that variety is the spice of life though, so we mix and match with the other herbs, veggies and greens. :bunnydance:

MeAndB44 wrote:
I give parsley every night, the flat leaf kind. I just make sure that I don't give too much. Beatrice really likes it. She also gets some carrot and apple as well.
How much parsley is "too much?" This is the first time I've heard that parsley should be limited. My bunnies get parsley every day with their salad. I feed a mix of cilantro, parsley, dandelion greens, leaf lettuce, and kale, with the occasional substitution or addition. Except for the cilantro, everything is organic.

That's fine. Its somewhat higher calcium content is an issue at all, but you will find old info stating that. I guess if anybunny has sludge or stones or consistently white pee, I'd limit the parsley, or at least just take a break from it for a few days, but if not, no worries.

Its best to take a couple of days off from kale, though, to keep the oxalates from building up. Not sure they can even ultimately be harmful, but best to be safe. (Oxalates can build up and become too concentrated in body fluids, they can crystallize and cause health problems so they're on a 'watch' list for buns with kidney issues, but I think it would take a lot to be a problem).

I think the 'safe veggie' lists floating around out there are giving the wrong impression. There is nothing wrong with kale, broccoli, cauliflower, carrot, iceberg lettuce or anything else in moderation. As long as there's variety and not too much of any one thing, its healthier than the restrictions.

sas :)

I just got a new foster from the shelter who was to be euthanized on Sunday. He was not eating and pooping, and when the volunteers take him out for a run, he only sits in the corner of the room. Degrassi - if you see this, the bunny is Lola.

The only thing he will eat isParsley, lots of Parsley, some Broccoli, Dandelion, and alfalfa hay. He is not touching any pellets.
So in a few days I will see how well he does with Parsley.

Hey Stan, I was just PMing you, but I'll post here. What's his background? Could he have been born and raised outside and understands vegetation but not pellets?

I'll be watching for the parsley results. Its supposed to be an appetite stimulant.

Do you have Nutri-Cal? Might help as well.

How is Lucky Star?

Guess this should be in a separate thread.

sas :clover:

Latest posts

Back