Parrotlets?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tamnjo

Reaction score
I was just wondering, since I have had a large increase in interest in these adorable birds, if anyone here owns one? Pics would be great:D I am getting one once we move and I was wondering if anyone knows any good websites or books? I have been doing a bunch of reaserch, but you can never do too much. Thanks everyone:brownbunny

I'm guessing celestial parrotlets?

I gave a couple to my father (who loves birds). The female didn't live long, she did look rather sickly whenI got them... The male, wellhe is nicknamed killer.

I do think that if you want a bird you can handle, get only one. It's really not the same. And do know, that they have a freaking strong beak, much stronger than cockatiels. I find them gorgeous though. But they can scream really high pitched. I don't think my experience with them was good but I do not think it is a general thing either.

Personally I prefer cockatiels, but parrotlets are wayyy cute. If you get one I really would love to see pics :biggrin2:

Well ive been readin about them for a while. I'm having second thoughts. They are alittle bit expensive for my budget and I would want to provide the best care possible for them, but I dont have enough room for a cage the size of a house (as they recommend on the parrotlet forum)! What are budgies like? How about parakeets? Thanks:brownbunny

I've seen parrotlets! They are sooo so adorable!

But like MsBinky, cockatiels are my favorites. I'm in love with those. My mom made me get rid of my two Lutino Cockatiels, Tyson and Lucy, because she hated them. :( I loved them, Lucy was so cuddly and sweet, she chirped the prettiest sound. Tyson wasn't as cuddly, but loved to have his neck scratched. And he was full of personality. He would follow you around and then play with anything he could find. They were two very great birds.

And I've had Budgies too. Zarf, was the sweetest little cuddly guy ever. he was mostely white with a blue head. But somehow he got this hole on his side and the next thing I know he's covered in blood, and it kept getting larger,and we had to have him put down...

And then we had Zoey and Jamie, who were the meanest darn things ever. They would squawk all day, and not like a cute Budgie chirp, it was an awful sound. They would bite you if you tried to touch them, and sometimes leave blood. They were awful.

We used to have quite a few birds, but had to rehome them due to major renovations on our house and were afraid they wouldn't do too well with all the fumes and dust.

Budgies/parakeets are great birds. We used to have a pair and then 5 in a large aviary. They are sweet birds andtake a bit of time to tame and need a lot of attention (like all birds!). Especially if you were to get a single,they are flock birds so need a lot of talking to, singing to,interaction, things to play with, room for exercise etc.Birdsare very expensive, possibly more than a rabbit. They also live a very long life, so they are quite expensive for keeping them happy and healthy, vet bills, etc. Not just a one time cost :). Our old boy, Petey was 13 when he passed away. Definitely a HUGE commitment for any bird!

I suggest you waiting a bit, it's great that you are finding information and waiting, so you can make the best decision possible for you and further birds. I'd wait until you are in acomfortable financial spot, because they need routine vet checks, cage, toys, etc. There is a lot more than the one time cost of the bird and the cage, so if you are worried about affording that, I would wait before bringing a bird into your home :).

Thanks for all your help.

Spring- Your right, I should wait. And I'm going to wait until we move, which will be during the summer. I am possibly getting a job, and I'm saving a couple hundred right now.

XxMontanaxX- Thanks for sharing about your birds! So which ones would you say are the sweetest?

I haven't really expanded my reaserch, so I am not familiar with all the other types of birds. I am looking for a bird that is cuddly, will sit on my shoulder(I am going to clicker train) while I am doing my homework and stuff, isn't loud(butI LOVE soft birdie songs) and I wounldn't mind one that could talk:p:brownbunny

I would suggest a hand-fed male cockatiel. :)One warning though... If you have allergies, be careful because they are particularly allergenic. :(

We have a hen cockatiel. I love her to pieces, but she can be very loud and demanding. Keep in mind that they can be picky who they bond with and you may end up with a bird that doesn't like you (Suzy Q was for my son, but bonded with me). She loves to snuggle up with me, but doesn't even want Matthew to pet her. She loves men with beards.

She can also be a pain when anyone is eating - she believes she's entitled to eat off everyone's plate.She loves spaghetti, but makes a terrific mess with it (and thinks my shirt is her napkin). ;)

Pam

I have had 4 cockatiels! Two are still with me. I've had Arthur longer than any other pet, just over 9 years. I got him as a 10 week old baby. Arthur's best friend and mate is Luca, who I've had for 6 years. Birdies are very fragile creatures, as an example, my sweet girly bird Michaela who I got at the same time as Arthur died suddenly 5 months after flying into a wall a few years ago, and my heart bird Little Bird (the sweetest bird I've ever met) was always sickly and died suddenly at the age of 3.

First of all, let me say that cockatiels are MESSY. They make dust like you wouldn't believe and feathers go everywhere. You need to vacuum every day and wipe down everything in their cage every day because the dust is so profuse. If you don't vacuum every day, you'll quickly find that bird dust settles on everything in the room... Ugh.

Cockatiels can also be very noisy. All tiels will squawk and be loud sometimes, but some much more than others. I'm fine with the occasional shriek, and it's so cute when they just chirp and whistle, but Luca is a problem screamer. He has lots of toys and food and everything he could want, but he screams a lot. The sound grates on my nerves like crazy, and we have someone in the neighboring apartment who very thankfully is quite laid back and says the shrieking doesn't bother him. Luca doesn't scream all day or anything, but definitely more than Arthur does.

If you have a single cockatiel, he or she will need lots and lots of individual attention. Pairs still need attention, but they have each other to love so they don't need the hours of physical contact with you that singletons do. Little Bird was a single bird and he spent most of his time out of his cage with me when I was home. I really enjoyed it because he was such a love, and I got him a flight suit with a birdy diaper so he wouldn't poop all over me, but you would need to understand how much attention you'd need to give the birdy or else he/she could get very depressed and start with destructive behaviors like screaming all the time, plucking feathers and being very aggressive.

If you do decide to get a cockatiel, I would actually lean more towards getting a boy. Yes, boys tend to be more vocal (though of my 3 boys, only one is obnoxiously vocal), but they don't have the risk of being chronic egg layers like females do. Not all females are chronic egg layers, but I've known enough of them and it's so difficult to deal with because laying all those eggs isn't healthy for the bird, she could have a prolapsed uterus, and the owner has to work to kind of disorient the bird by covering the cage at odd times of day and other things so the bird stops laying eggs. The whole thing just sounds so heartbreaking to me :( Poor birdies who won't stop laying eggs. You can easily find out a bird's gender by getting a DNA sample (like from a fresh feather or a droplet of blood from a toe nail) and sending it away to one of the many bird sexing companies and you'll get your results back pretty quickly.

Here comes what I think is one of the most important things if you decide to get a cockatiel.... Do NOT just get the first one you see at the pet store or wherever. Even if it says the bird is handfed, it can still be very fearful and distrusting of humans. If you do choose to get one from the pet store, only get one that is very friendly towards you and wants to be with you. There aren't very many tiels like that at pet stores, but I've seen a couple that ran up to the side of the cage with it's head down to be scritched and followed me around. So cute! Instead, I'd recommend getting a cockatiel from a good breeder, and again, make sure it's friendly and likes you. It can be pretty hard to get a cockatiel to come around to liking you, Luca's been here 6 years and he still doesn't like me! I worked with him for a long time and now he doesn't (usually) draw blood when he bites, but he certainly doesn't have any love for me.

One more thing: As far as food goes, please feed your birdy pellets, not seed mixes. You can give a high quality seed mix as a treat or supplement, but the base of the diet should really be pellets. Seed mixes are like junk food for birds and pellets are healthy. Birdies are very sensitive, so organic pellets are the best. Get Harrison's if you can afford it (it's $40 for a 5 pound bag around here and you'll need to go to a vet office or special store to get it), Lafeber's is also good and a good deal cheaper. Your birdy stands a much better chance of living a long time if it gets a good pellet died with fresh veggies. Little Bird was 12 weeks old and Luca was 6 months old when I got them and converted them to pellets, both of them did really well with learning to eat them, but Arthur and Michaela were 2 when I started and it took a good 4 MONTHS of giving them pellets every day (in addition to their seeds so they wouldn't starve, of course!) before they'd try them. This is not unusual, birds are very reluctant to try new things, but it's really in their best interests to persevere.

I hope this was helpful! :) Feel free to ask me more questions if I can help.

Oh, how cute is Suzy Q enjoying her Egg McMuffin :inlove: She looks just like Michaela did, except Michaela was a cinnamon pearl so she was light brown where Suzy Q is gray. Just explaining the differences for Tamnjo :) Arthur and Michaela are/were much too picky to want to share my food, but Little Bird was all over anything I ate! I HAD to share. The good thing is I started eating really well because I wanted to eat bird healthy things so he could have some! Just for the heck of it, here's a picture of my darling Little Bird. He was such a special guy and I miss him every day:

5fac4d31-1.jpg

90483ab4-1.jpg

And here are Arthur, Luca and Little Bird... Little Bird is in the back, Luca is on the left and Arthur is on the right:

P1010089-1.jpg

OMG!!! Both of your guys' birds are SOOO cute!! Thanks so much for all your help. I would be able to afford a good second hand cage. I don't think my parents would let me get a tiel, because they are quite loud..but they are too adorable!:brownbunny

I think it's a great idea to wait until you are in a better financial spot, very responsible of you :). It's always good to go into something like adding a new family memberand beconfident that you are making a great decision.

I love birds, they're wonderful and have such huge personalities! What's holding me back at the moment is more of the time commitment, and I don't know at this moment if it would be best for me or the birdie to be added to the family. I am hopeful one day in the future I'll be ina more suitablesituation, but at the moment no birdies for me! :D You'll know as well, when the right time to add a feathered friend is :). If you are unsure, or worried about something, just think about it. There's no rush, and it's true, the best things in life take time!

Wish you the best!

I haven't had parrotlets before, but you could try PM'ing jupiterannette and asking her about them. She's quite the parrot expert. :)

Latest posts

Back