Parental wrath vs. Lonely bunny...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wallice

Reaction score
Hi

So, I sorta got my big boy Wallace without parental consent, and at first, they were pretty angry, though of course (as I knew) they completely melted when they met him, and even call him "their boy", even though I no longer liver at home. I'm moving next spring into a bigger house, so I'd have a lot more room for two buns to play. Right now Wallace is free range, and I have a spare cage, so enclosures aren't a problem.

Unlike my last bunny Cosmo (who I loved dearly but was a terror to anything else furry), Wallace is a lover, not a fighter. He tries to play with all the other animals when they are out, and he is very careful of his size not to squish them at all, and just wants to lick all the time. The closest to a friend he has is the guninea pig (who he licks constantly), but she doesn't speak the language, so when he uts his head down for her, he gets ignored. Breaks my heart a little. He is even super gentle with the hamster and gerbils (though they are jerks and actually try to fight a 16lb animal!).

So...does he NEED a girlfriend? I want my bunny to be happy, especially if it would help to maybe make him more active, and extend his life any. I just know it would involve a substantial fight with the parentals, but should I anyways?

Any opinions are awesome!

Christina

As long as you're given him attention and interacting with him, no, I don't believe he *needs* a girlfriend. If you get a second bun, it should be because you are 100% ready for care and bonding - not because you feel guilty. If it will cause strife and problems, it's not worth it. Bunnies can be perfectly happy living on their own.

Can I ask why it would cause problems with your parents if you don't live with them anymore? I'm just a little confused because if you're living on your own it should be your choice whether to have another.

I would LOVE to get a second bunny. Pets are sort of my thing to be honest, I love to have them, and get a lot of satisfaction taking care of them. I'm still in university however, and my parents worry that I spend too much money and time on my animals, and that the care they need interferes with my school work (which it doesn't but they don't believe me). I'm in a little bit of a tricky situation because next year, I'm moving into a new student house, and my parents happen to be the landlords, so they still have a bit of authority over me (especially since i'd be living rent free!).

I just want to do the best thing for my boy though in the end. I love him to death, and just want him to be happy. I feel like hes bored even with my interaction, because he gets far more excited when he sees my roommate's guninea pig than me. I know my parents would eventually warm up to the idea, I just know it would be ugly for a little bit. But Wallace (and me!) would be so happy. Plus, it would mean rescuing another bunny out of a shelter, which I would love to do.

Once school is done and I live completely on my own, then it won't be an issue, but I know Flemmies don't have a very long life span, and I want him to be happy for it.

It sounds like you and Wallace are ready for a second bun, so I would try discussing with your parents. I don't know if I'd just go out and get one without talking to them ... since you're in university they do still have some control (I assume they're paying for your schooling too? my mom always held that over my head;) ) I would work on them and see where you get. Maybe with time you can talk them into it.

eta: In the meantime, I wouldn't worry too much about your guy. Most bunnies look bored 99% of the time :pThey're very good at it! But it's doesn't mean he's not very happy having you as a buddy.

Latest posts

Back