Paper Shreds As Litter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OreoTheBunny

Reaction score
Hey all. We got a paper shredder tray and we have a bunch of paper shreds. Is it safe to put in as litter? Oreo doesn't eat his litter, nor does he sit in it for a long time.

So is it safe?

I just got a shredder recently and decided to finally get rid of ALL of my paper/magazines/newspapers that have been lying around. After about an hour of shredding I got a giant garbage bag filled with confetti style paper. I put it in my Buster's litter box and he had a lot of fun digging in it. He also uses it to go to the bathroom. Because the paper isn't that absorbent, you will need to change it more frequently, otherwise it will start to smell.. Newspaper shred is better if your rabbit tends to eat his litter. Magazines have dye that could hurt the rabbit. My rabbit doesn't eat his litter so I mixed everything together.

:bunnyheart

For my first bunny, I used shredded newspaper as litter. I had to clean the litter bin everyday with vinegar and water, but it works.

Nowadays, I place newspaper on top of wood pellets to act as a "poop guard." Still change the newspaper everyday, but I think it works rather well.

And yes to the dig box! I remember seeing a video somewhere and just crumbled a bunch of newspaper for my buns to dig at. Strangely, they don't care for phone books.

Awesome. I mixed everything together and if Oreo DOES start eating it, should I take it away even if theres no mags in there?

Awesome. I mixed everything together and if Oreo DOES start eating it, should I take it away even if theres no mags in there?

Thought that magazines were the wrong kind of paper. We use hand shredded newspaper in several boxes. It works pretty well, and we have a gigantic litter box filled to the top for digging and tunneling. Coal gets in there and you can see the paper move around and then she pops up like a prairie dog.

Nancy McClelland wrote:
Thought that magazines were the wrong kind of paper. We use hand shredded newspaper in several boxes. It works pretty well, and we have a gigantic litter box filled to the top for digging and tunneling. Coal gets in there and you can see the paper move around and then she pops up like a prairie dog.
Magazine paper has no absorbent ability & shouldn't be eaten. But I don't imagine anyone needs to shred their mags in a shredder, either. Unless it's the buy-in-brown-paper-wrapper-not on-display kind of mag. lol.

I can just imagine Coal in the dig/tunnel box. A real coal miner!

I did that for awhile, but I found the paper lacking. Even though I could get the paper for free. The newspaper ALWAYS needed to be changed daily and the absorbency just wasn't there. The shreds also went EVERYWHERE! They would get kicked up, stick to feet and the newspaper did nothing to mask any odors. I would suggest if you live near a campus or other place that gives away free staple-less paper (Some papers and flyers will use staples, which is not something I would want in the litter), go at the end of the day and pick up a bunch of paper that would just be recycled anyhow and do your own recycling :)

I don't really have a paper shredder, but seeing as how big his litter box is and how frequently I change the litter, it was just cheaper for me to cut up newspapers (I get them free from my building every once in a while) but yeah it is safe :)

Hahaha, for a good period of time, I used newspaper as litter (until I got a rabbit who decided chewing on newspaper was fun). There are free newspapers abound at school for me (no staples). So, it was easy, free and convenient for me to pick up more newspapers.

Absorbancy was not as great as wood pellets, and I had to change the litter bins everyday as well as rinse out the litter bins, but it worked and it was *free*!

Note:
I still use newspaper. It's used as a "poop guard" (wannabe litter box screen). I simply place it on top of my wood pellets, and change the newspaper (with the poops on top) everyday. Of course, this only works if you have rabbits that don't chew on the newspaper.

Latest posts

Back