papaya tablets

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AnnaS wrote:
Pam,but I do notice hair in his pop after I give him papaya or is it justmy imagination?

You can start observing droppings on a daily basis and then would beable to tell if more hair is being passed after papaya. Ifyou are only giving papaya when you notice the rabbit is molting, thenit would be passing hair in the droppings with or without thepapaya. Plenty of hay would be a betterchoice for maintaining a healthy digestive system.

Pam

RaspberrySwirl wrote:
Pam, do you treat with thoseproducts after a blockage has occurred? Are you basically saying thenthat you feel they are useful for removal of a blockage but not forprevention of one?

The products cannot prevent GI stasisbut "may" be helpful intreatment. There are so many theories and the same treatmentdoesn't work every time. Another hint I've heard (and tried)has been to give syringe feed vinegar with the reasoning that it helpsto stabilize the gut ph and prevent the overgrowth of harmfulbacteria. I've tried many different remedies over the yearsand have settled in on Nutri Cal and tetracycline.

Feed has also been blamed as a common cause of GI stasis and I've beentold that smaller breeds can never be fed higher proteinfeeds. We had our Dwarf Hotots on a higher protein feed for awhile, yet the incidence of GI problems did not increase.

Pam

I don't think there is any one clear cut reasonwhy rabbits develop it, or how each is healed after developing it.However I am of the mind with one the studies that feels some rabbitshave a heredity to inherit such a problem. And it does seem those whodevelop the problem are more prone to it in my opinion, the tend tobecome repeat offenders. I think one way to really see thatdifference I when you do have several rabbit all eating the same stuffbeing treated in same way yet there goes bunnyfur baby blocking upagain and yet he is maybe your only rabbit to do it. I myselfhave 2 prone to it, I watch their stool like a hawk, esp in molt, Theyare both big hay buns, but yet they both so prone to it. a couple yearsago I tried out a new feed and I had 5 buns block up after 2 months oftrying the feed, so right back to our old food we went and those extra3 buns have been fine. So pretty much now, if it isn't broke I don'ttry and fix it. It doesn't seem to matter what diet you choose for youbun, as if your bun is prone to blocking they seem to do it regardlessof diet. I am basing some my opinions and thoughts not only on my buns,but on buns we see at work. Plus listening to people in chats or onboards and their experiences.
on another note, I think some buns are also better atlistening to their own bodies. For example my Emma, who mindyou is a pig and devours all her food. She will take a few days duringmolt and eat only her hay, she might nibble pellets but that's about itand she does this all on her own.
I myself when one my 2 boys gets blocked use a motility drug to get thegut moving, subcutaneous fluids to prevent dehydration, and I make amix of baby food with either critical care or their own pellets madeinto a mush, and papaya tables crushed in as a force feed. I thinkdifferent things work for different people and differentrabbits. One of the 2 has to havesimithicone to get anything moving, and I tried it out on myother one as well, the simithcone does seem to help speed things up atleast in my guys. The last time he blocked we decided to takeprogress radiographs of his system every 2 days to see how it wasreacting. I realize this I not economical for the average person, butworking at a vet office and having access to this, I decided what theheck. I think I learned a few things off of his radiographs,at leastabout how his system reacts to treatment at anyrate. Just thought I'd add to the findings and info of thepost.

I find that veryinteresting Gabby. The baby food thing peaks my interest, as does themushed up rabbit pellets. I know for a fact that there are tons ofthings on the market for babies that specialize in not being overprocessed and in being organic. I just don't know what is out therethat a bunny would need at that time. As I said, I find your approachto it very interesting. Also, I've said before that I've always feltthat animals need to be given more credit for doing certain thingsnaturally, instinctively, if you will, if given half a chance. How elsewould they ever have survived before they became domesticated? I'm surewe will need to intervene in many cases. What will followwillbe thestruggle with when and what treatments toutilize.

Oh Great Meganac731 I too live in Leesburg rightaround the corner sorta from The outlet Mall Im gonna have to run overthere to Vitamin World and pick some up for Stitch!

Latest posts

Back