papaya tablets

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbitgirl

Reaction score
They got all excited thinking it wasa treat--then gave me THAT LOOK: "Come on! We can't eat this!!!"

Actually Bub licked it then chewed it then spit it out then licked it then chewed it then spit it out then licked it....;)

He got most of it down!

Rose

I'm surprised! Mr. Wiggles can't wait to havehis. Have you tasted yours, do they taste ok? On the package, mine saythey can be used for a breath freshener, but they still don't containany sugar.

Rabbitluvr- Papaya tablets are something that can be boughtat healthfood stores and vitamin shops. They have an enzyme that helpsthe rabbits break down hairballs or something to that affect. I'm nopro, I just know they need it :DThey can also have freshpinneapple, and something else I'm forgetting, it does the same thing.

Megan

I'm sure there willbe more interest in all of this kind of thing with what Tucker is goingthrough....I know I will become very interested very quickly. Sebastianhas lots of hair....How much papaya tablet do they need and how often?Prior to this incident I had been under the impression that thepineapple and papaya and such were for WHEN they become blocked. NowI'm learning that it needs to become part of their diet. I'm open toany and all info on what the full diet requirements need to be to keepmy baby boy healthy.

I give my buns one every other day. Gir gets half a tab every other day.

If that is too many do let me know!

Mine LOVE them, I shake the bottle and I am suddenly overwhelmed by bunny

These also have no sugar and they taste pretty good =) Just the Walmart brand, nothing fancy.

the ones i have are from walmart and they have two grams of suger for if u take four of them.

Cristy

I'm with Raspberry. Before I thought it wasn'tsomething they needed all the time, but now I see we should make it apart of their diet.

How often? How many tablets? I did buy an actual Papaya last night and am going to give some to my rabbits.

I had the worst time finding tablets too, I livearound the corner from an outlet mall, and I noticed they had a storecalled Vitamin World, I decided to check there and I finally foundthem! If you have any vitamin shops like GNC orVitamin Worldin your area they'll probably have them.

Megan

Most of this stuff can be found online if youcannot locate it in your area. Sometimes, I find it worth theexpense of shipping and the wait to buy online instead of knockingmyself out on a quest to find a product locally. Figure mypeace of mind is worth that.

I've ordered papain and bromelain powder online. They are theactive ingredients in papaya and pineapple(enzymes) that break down themucus holding fur balls together, permitting the fur to beeliminated. I used to dissolve them in the buns' drinkingwater in order to insure they were getting a fur block treatment thatentailed no extra sugar, as is often found in the pill form.

While on vacation last summer, I didn't want to saddle the bunny sitterwith that extra chore, so stopped giving them the powder.They still continued to eliminate "stringers" without thetreatment. The Missus often says I tend to overkill andthought my feeding them papain and bromelain fell into that category,so, I opted to discontinue the inconclusive experiment.

The powders, from a health food company were about $22-$25.00 per 100gram bottle...expensive, but I thought they might be cost effectiveover the long run if administered to the drinking water. Iadministered 1/8-1/4 tsp per 32 oz water bottle, which was therecommended dosage per day for a human.

I can't say as how the treatment worked, or did not work.

Buck

Personally, I never have (and probably neverwill) use products such as papaya, pineapple juice or any of the otherproducts that contain enzymes that are supposed to help break down thethick mucus blockages that may occur during a GI shutdown.Remember that these products cannot digest hair, which will normallypass through the digestive system. Giving such products willcertainly not hurt anything, so if it makes owners feel better-- go right ahead.

I feel that the single most important intestinal "cleaner/scrubber" youcan give ishay and that any fancy supplements areunnessarary. I don't even usesuch products for myAngoras (papaya/pineapple/meattenderizer/etc.) My friendregulary uses papaya (6 tablets per rabbit per week) and occasionallyhas a case of GI stasis. The incidence of GI stasis appearsto be based more on the individual's own GI tract rather than what theyare (or are not) fed.

In conclusion . . . Papaya does not prevent blockages in the intestinal tract.

Pam

Pam, do you treatwith those products after a blockage has occurred? Are you basicallysaying then that you feel they are useful for removal of a blockage butnot for prevention of one?

AnnaS wrote:
Pam,but I do notice hair in his pop after I give him papaya or is it justmy imagination?
I think I notice more "stringers" or "strings of pearls" when I feeddried papaya/pineapple, too, but am I imagining it to be more thanusual, or, is it just the usual?

RABBIT PRODUCTION (8th Ed., pg 177)says,...There isone case where rabbits do respond to dietary enzymesupplements. Sources of protein-digesting (proteolytic)enzymes can aid in breaking down hairballs in the stomach buydigesting the mucoproteins (mucus) that hold the hairballstogether. Pineapple and papaya juice contain proteolyticenzymes (bromelain and papain, respectively).

Obviously, the issue is not clear cut and, I suspect, it is one thatone must approach at a gut, or intuitive level. Pam, isprobably correct in stating they are of little value, but they can dolittle or no harm either, unless one is concerned about the sugar inthe ingredients of most papaya pills, at least the inexpensiveones. Push comes to shove, what's worse? Too muchsugar in the diet or hair balls? Neither one is a desirablealternative, but you make a choice.

Buck

Latest posts

Back