Papaya Tablets--Which Brand Where to Buy & How Many to Give?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

momofmany

Reaction score
Time after time, I've read that we should give our bunnies Papaya Tablets and I'd like to know which brand you recommend and where I can purchase them from.

Can I buy them from a human health food store or no? If so, is there a certain amount of milligram measurement I'm to follow?

How many should each bunny get and how often?

I'd really appreciate help in this area, thank you.

I use oxbow - they are a bit pricey but worth it.

I also go to the organic store (Wild Oats) and they have dehydrated natural papaya and I give my rabbits a tiny slice of it now and then. They like that a lot!

The tabs keep better.

I give mine Oxbow Papaya Tablets, which you can order online or through your local pet store.

I should point out that bunnies dont *need* these. People used to think that the enzymes in the papaya would help break down hair in the digestive system (Oxbow even claims this on the package) but that has since been shown to be probably not true. So although it wont really help, it definitely cant hurt.

And its a healthy treat bunnies go nuts for! Mine get 1 tablet every day :)

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Why then, do they sell them for humans also for gut health?

Haha but they also sell 1000 other supplements for this and that.

A lot of things that are good for us are good in combination with other nutrients that occur naturally with them in the real world foods, but once taken alone have very little value. *shrug* Papaya could be like that. It's kind of hard to find reliable information that I trust so that I can figure it out, :p >.<

EDIT: All that matters though is that bunnies go crazy for papaya tablets and they're not one of the bad sugary, nutty, honey treats, haha. So that' definitely reason enough for me to want them as treats!!

I buy mine at Bulk Barn (not sure if you have that store there) it's for humans, but my vet said it's identical to Oxbow's. Just A LOT cheaper.

Crystal

I use Oxbow as well. I use mine as bunny bait to get my girls back in the pen at night. One shake of the jar and they come running! The 200 ct. jar lasts forever.

Bo B Bunny wrote:
The enzymes really do aid digestion (in humans). However, we typically don't get hairballs. :D I have read conflicting information about whether they do any good as far as breaking down hair in the rabbit's gut.

They look safe, but a lot of bunnies don't like the peppermint taste. Mine won't touch them, but I have a friend whose bunnies love them. It looks they are cheap enough to try out and see if your rabbits like them or not.

Bo B Bunny wrote:

People will sell anything to make a buck. People will buy into the health claims, even if these claims are not scientifically proven.

The tablets probably don't hurt anything - but do they really help anything? No evidence has proven that they do.

Best bet - feed rabbits a healthy, balanced diet including greens and plenty of fiber.

Pam

Latest posts

Back