Papaya- extra cecotrophs

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mariah

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Sorry, heres another health & wellness thread for my buns, but this time its about Papaya. Im trying to not panic...

Hes ok... Hes still eating his hay (timothy) and pellets. drinking water, peeing & pooing. My problem is off & on. He usually does his cecotrophs in the day. When I go to clean their cage (he lives with Kiwi), sometimes I find uneaten ones. I know there from him as Ill catch him leaving them in the day. If I catch him, i try to feed them too him, if he wont eat them, i just clean them up, cause they are so smelly.

Today hes quieter then normal (last night too). Hes still eating but not as much as he normally does. He will usually follow Kiwi everywhere she goes, and hes not doing that as much. Yesterday he made a horrible mess with his ceceotrophs. Yucky poop everywhere, so bad, that I had to wash all their bedding.

He has access to unlimited timothy hay. The batches I have been getting are not what they like the most, but hes still eating. He gets pellets (timothy based) twice daily, about 16 pellets morning & evening, which he gobbles up. I deceased his pellet intake because i thought maybe thats why he was haing extra ceceotrophs, but the problem is still continuing. No veggies- he never took to them, & since Kiwi cant have any, I didnt keep trying to get him to eat them. Unlimited bottled water as well, cause they both refuse to drink the tap water.

They both have had no contact with the new bun- Apricot. I change my clothes & wash my hands before doing anything with them after being with Apricot.

He had coccidia when I got him over 2 years ago. That cleared up & I had a fecal done just to make sure it was gone. Kiwi was checked too. Maybe another fecal test is in order?

Hes always been funny with his cecotrophs.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
I doubt the pellets have anything to do with it. He's not hardly eating any. He's not very old right, so not arthritis? Does he seem to have any difficulty moving around or bending down there to groom himself? Do the cecals come out fully formed, not mushy at all unless stepped on?

It wouldn't hurt to take a fresh sample of his cecals and get them tested.

I doubt the pellets have anything to do with it. He's not hardly eating any. He's not very old right, so not arthritis? Does he seem to have any difficulty moving around or bending down there to groom himself? Do the cecals come out fully formed, not mushy at all unless stepped on?

It wouldn't hurt to take a fresh sample of his cecals and get them tested.

Papaya is 2. He will be 3 this year. He has no difficulty bending over down there to eat them. He sleeps with his legs straight out backwards, so I dont think hes sore or has any joint issues etc.

I will take a sample & have it checked. Im going to send it out to lab to have an expert look at it. I will also take one for apricot too, since he was outside previously.

Something weird happened tonight with Kiwi & Papaya. I got them hay- a batch that they actually liked. They both ate it really well & were relaxing. They went back to eat the hay about 1/2 hour later. It was bunny dinner time, so I jingled the container that their pellets were in. Kiwi came running, Papaya didnt right away. They both came eventually, but instead of letting me hand feed them a couple before I put it in their bowls, Kiwi went back to munching on hay?

Im really worried now that something is wrong with both of them?? They both did eat all their pellets, Kiwi drank, Papaya has not yet. They are both laying down now with their legs stretched out. They dont look like they are in distress or uncomfortable currently.

Didn't you just get a new bag of hay. Apparently this new batch tastes better than their pellets. I know when I was still feeding rye hay, my buns would want to eat it before their pellets. Further proof, not all hay is created equal :p

Didn't you just get a new bag of hay. Apparently this new batch tastes better than their pellets. I know when I was still feeding rye hay, my buns would want to eat it before their pellets. Further proof, not all hay is created equal :p

Oh my goodness, yes I did just get a new bag of hay. They both loved it when I put it in their hay rack.

Also-----> NEW INFO. I just realized that I forgot to change my pants that I wore in with Apricot. I changed my socks & sweater, & washed my hands, but forgot the pants. Could they be making strange with the new smell?

Im so concerned right now. My stomach is in knots. Could there be something infectious in the air? Could Apricot be making Kiwi & Papaya sick?

I doubt it has anything to do with Apricot. He seems to be a pretty healthy bun. I would say that they highly approve of their new hay. It's not like they aren't eating right? They just want their hay first.

And Papaya's cecal problems sound like it was something going on long before this baby showed up.

I doubt it has anything to do with Apricot. He seems to be a pretty healthy bun. I would say that they highly approve of their new hay. It's not like they aren't eating right? They just want their hay first.

And Papaya's cecal problems sound like it was something going on long before this baby showed up.

Its true. They are both eating their hay. I dont know if Im just being over sensitive? Maybe just seeing how active Apricot is when I let him out for a run, is making me think that Kiwi & Papaya arent active?

I guess I will start with a fecal tomorrow, & go from there. Ughhhhh, I think I need meds for anxiety for these bunnies! Im also like this with my horses & cats... lol

Other then a fecal, pending thats negative, what else could it be?

Remember Apricot's a baby. Just like a little kid, they have moments where they are bouncing off the walls. Kiwi and Papaya are old folks. Well, maybe middle aged :)

Start with the fecal. If it comes back clear, next step might be diet. Maybe a trial week of no pellets, to see if it makes a difference. Is he eating hay really well, no weight loss?

Remember Apricot's a baby. Just like a little kid, they have moments where they are bouncing off the walls. Kiwi and Papaya are old folks. Well, maybe middle aged :)

Start with the fecal. If it comes back clear, next step might be diet. Maybe a trial week of no pellets, to see if it makes a difference. Is he eating hay really well, no weight loss?

He was eating hay really well up until this week, when I had the hay he didn't like. And no weight loss.

Another thing which I noticed last night & this evening, was that when he's eating hay, he makes this noise, which is really hard to describe. It's almost like he's gulping for air, or sniffing like a dog? He's never made that noise before up until last night.

I'm worried. Maybe vet visit tomorrow? Could he be making that noise if his teeth need to be done?

Last edited:
I was wondering about his teeth. If he has some sharp points, they could be causing pain when he chews so that he is chewing in a way that is making those strange noises. It could also account for the decreased appetite and possibly the cecal problem as well. I think at this point it would probably be a good idea to get his teeth checked, along with having a fecal done just in case.

I was wondering about his teeth. If he has some sharp points, they could be causing pain when he chews so that he is chewing in a way that is making those strange noises. It could also account for the decreased appetite and possibly the cecal problem as well. I think at this point it would probably be a good idea to get his teeth checked, along with having a fecal done just in case.

Well I was going to take Papaya to the vet today. I am so worried about him that I couldn't sleep last night. I kept waking up to check on him. I just talked to my bunny vet, & she's snowed in! She can't get out of her subdivision... So I can't take him today.

He's still eating & drinking, so I suppose it's not an emergency yet... I did give him some oval this morning, in case his tummy was a bit upset. He was sitting in his litter box, not eating, but when he hopped out, there was poo, which was normally formed etc.

I may be able to take him tomorrow, weather dependant & also depending on how he's doing.

He did eat his pellets this morning & I have seen him eating hay. I'm at work right now, so hopefully all is well at home.

I'm sure he'll be just fine. It's not really critical for him to get in right away since he is still eating normally. Just something you want to get to soon since there are some concerns.

Hope the weather clears for you soon :)

I'm sure he'll be just fine. It's not really critical for him to get in right away since he is still eating normally. Just something you want to get to soon since there are some concerns.

Hope the weather clears for you soon :)

Well, I wouldnt say hes eating normally, but he is eating, so thats important. I just stopped in at home to check on him. He has extra cecotrophs today again, which he hasent eaten yet. I left them with him in case he decides he wants to eat them.

Its suposted to be -32 tonight, & we just got 10cm of snow overnight in addition to what was already on the ground...

Back to work I go! Its so much fun working three jobs :tantrum:

Just thought I would post another update on Papaya. He seems to be doing much better this evening. He came out & did some cute little blinkys with kiwi. He even went & sat in the kitty/bunny bed & chewed on his toy. I also caught him grooming kiwi :)

He was eager to eat his pellets this evening & so was kiwi. He's still not 100% I don't think, but doing better then yesterday evening.

I'm still going to have his teeth looked at & a fecal done, but I may wait to take him to the vet until this cold snap lets up. Poor guy is shaved & I'm sure even with blankets in his carrier & one on top to block the wind, he would be cold. Of course if he goes downhill at all, I'll get him right in there.

I'm feeling a bit better this evening with his process throughout the day.

Another update on my little man!

Papaya is much, much better today! He's up & about, eating his hay & definitely wanting his pellets! He's also not making that weird noise when he eats.

I'm still going to be taking him to the vet to have his teeth looked at, but may wait until the weather is better. It was -40 this afternoon... Yuck!

I'm so glad he's feeling better :) Maybe that weird nose he was making was from his upset stomach. I know it can sometimes happen when they are backed up and their gut is slow.

These digestive issues can be so tricky to figure out sometimes. I just had Baby not want to eat a few days ago, but right after giving pain meds and simethicone she was fine and started eating. She always has perfect poop and never shows any other signs that it might be her diet causing issues. Sometimes I think there are weeds in their hay that must be causing this, cause I can't pin it down to anything else.

I'm so glad he's feeling better :) Maybe that weird nose he was making was from his upset stomach. I know it can sometimes happen when they are backed up and their gut is slow.

These digestive issues can be so tricky to figure out sometimes. I just had Baby not want to eat a few days ago, but right after giving pain meds and simethicone she was fine and started eating. She always has perfect poop and never shows any other signs that it might be her diet causing issues. Sometimes I think there are weeds in their hay that must be causing this, cause I can't pin it down to anything else.

Me too! Maybe I can actually get a good nights rest tonight :)

It's funny you say weeds in their hay. That really good batch of hay that I bought? Something pricked me when I was putting their hay out. It was a thorne! And I found many more in the bag :S I've been checking the hay as I put it out now. I hope they are smart enough to not eat the prickley stuff, just in case I miss a piece??

How is Baby feeling today?

Oh, she's perfectly fine now. In fact right after I gave her meds and cuddled her, I put her back in her cage and she started eating right away. Sometimes these rabbits confuse me :?

These rabbits confuse me too! They add such stress to my life, cause I'm constantly worried about them. I would never stop having bunnies as pets though! Ha

Little Petey (Papaya), is 100% back to his cute little self! He must of had a bit of a tummy ache. After giving the one dose of simethicone (on Monday I believe), he seemed to improve day by day.:bunnyheart

*happy buns = happy mama*

I still don't know why he has the excess cecotrophs sometimes though.
I haven't seem any all week, so all is good for now.

Latest posts

Back