Panting/Shaking really hard

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zebraprint

Reaction score
I took Wylie out for a walk with me this morning and it's pretty warm out. We just got in and the last few minutes of our walk home he started to pant really hard. Now that we're home he immediately flopped down and it still panting really hard! I put a frozen water bottle (wrapped in a blanket) beside him but I can't tell if it's heat stroke or overheating or what. His ears don't feel overly warm.. any suggestions? (Please help this worried mama)

I hope he's better now. Maybe have him drink a little cold juice, or water with an ice cube in it, &/or a spritz of water on his back.

Wylie, tell your mama what's wrong, so she can fix it.

After about ten minutes of panting so hard the cage was shaking he cooled down and was fine. I wrapped a cloth around a frozen water bottle and put it next to him. Definitely a quick cool down if this happens to anyone else during the summer, but I'll be getting a spray bottle as well.

In my experience, buns don't do well with sudden changes in temperature and they particularly don't do well with heat. Wetting his ears and offering something cool is great. We also have ceramic tiles we put in the freezer and then rotate in and out of the cage for our bun to sit on.

Latest posts

Back