Panacur

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Jesse

Reaction score
One of my girls is halfway through a course of Panacur. The bottle says 'Keep Refrigerated'. Last night I forgot to put the bottle in the refrigerator. It was on the counter for about 12-14 hours. The house was not warm, approximately 16C. I put it away as soon as I noticed it. I called the local vet to ask if this could be a problem and she said no. She is not a rabbit doctor. Anybody want to comment?
Thanks

Than you. The reason for my concern besides the 'keep refrigerated' label was when I bought the panacur the pharmacist asked if I wanted a cold bag to transport it home. As I was not going far I declined.
for what it is worth the panacur came in crystals and I had to have it compounded into liquid.

Sounds like a lot of trouble. Safeguard is the same thing as Panacur, can be purchased at a feed store and doesn't have to be kept in a fridge. I just don't know if it's available in Canada or not.

Thanks for the comment. As I mentioned I had to have it compounded which was a first for me having bought it in liquid form previously. I phoned the compounding pharmacy and asked and they said it should not be a problem.
I have not heard of Safeguard up here and even if it did exist here we probably could not buy it off the shelf without a prescription. I bought some PenG from the local vet years ago and found the same thing at Tractor Supply in Texas for about one-tenth the cost.

Safeguard is available up here, and panacur is available in liquid as well. Both from the vets, both from feed stores. I can order 1L jugs of liquid panacur right from the vets because their supplier carries it (and just about every single vet in BC uses AVP). Sounds like the only reason you were send to the pharmacy was because the vet was either too lazy to order it or wanted you to get it sooner then it would arrive if they ordered it.

Thank you for the information. When I went to get the panacur it was in crystals and I had to get it compounded. The crystals cost me $41 and the compounding another $42! I was quite irate as I had bought liquid panacur from my previous vet a few years ago for about $25. I spoke to my vet about this and apparently they can write a prescription to any vet which has it. As it happened CVVH has it at $51 (still pricey) and I could have got it there. Are you aware of any feed stores in the Victoria area?

Sorry I don't, I'm just north of Nanaimo. I know of feed stores around here and in the lower mainland, and a handful just across the border in Washington.
Though most safeguard/panacur/dewormers you find in feed stores will be super concentrated for the most part and difficult to dose for small bunnies.
But that price of it from the vets is... excessive...

Thanks again. If you think that fee was outrageous then I can give you other stories especially from the one vet I trusted and who dealt with my late rabbit. I have owned rabbits for over 15 years, volunteered in rabbit sanctuaries and have some knowledge of rabbit health. This vet treated me as if I was a newcomer.

If you can find Safeguard for goats, it's in liquid form, and easy to accurately dose for rabbits. It also comes as a paste for horses, but is harder to accurately dose. I know that here most livestock feed stores and Tractor Supply' s have it on the shelf.

Latest posts

Back