Pam...Question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dwarf_Angel04

Reaction score
I just had a litter born today with a newlymarked kit to me (I always get well marked kits give or take afeathering eyeband here and there.). I'd like to refer to itas a badly marked half dutch half english spot. Its got thehead markings of a dutch and from the shoulders on its marked like anenglish spot. Now what do I call this little bugger on itspedigree? And could explain the gentic stand point of this?

Thanks in Advance
Amanda

Aren't those so adorable! They are"sports". No eyebands are charlies. You'llsometimes see single eyebands referred to as "boxers".

According to genetics articles that I've read, the English Spotting andDutch marking genes that are required to produce the Dwarf Hototpattern are closely linked. There are 9 different possiblegenetic combinations. According to Glenna Huffmon's book ongenetics, the desired combination for proper Hotot markings ishomozygous English Spotting gene EnEn and heterozygous Dutch markinggene Dudu. Modifying genes also play a roll inpattern.

The 8th edition of Rabbit Production lists the Hotot genotype ashomozygous for both English Spotting and Dutch marking, but accordingto Glenna, the homozygous dudu produces the "charlies" with noeyebands, where the homozygous dominant DUDU (the genotype of mostrabbits, except the Dutch), produces more body color and in combinationwith the recessive homozygous enen (no spotting) would produce theDutch marked rabbit.

Which brings us to the apparent genotype of your english spotted Dutchmark where the genotype is said to be Enen dudu. The "en"(non-spotting) is often brought in from breeders using solid rabbitssuch as Netherland Dwarfs. At this point, Glenna Hoffmansgenotypes are the generally accepted belief. Modifying geneswould also cause some variation in pattern (for example, the width ofthe eyeband.)

These mismarks can certainly be used in your breeding program and can produce properly standard marked Hotots.

Pam

You simply must post a larger version of youravatar for everyone to see! There is simply nothing cuterthan a baby Dwarf Hotot!

Pam

Thanks pam! I agree there is nothing cuter then adwarf hotot kit. Speaking of which I gotta head off to a rabbitshow...ut oh! I'll let all the homozygous and genotypes fizzle in mybrain today LOL!

Amanda

Hey -- we're only about 10 hours away from you --we have another tiny adorable sport Dwarf Hotot -- you can come and getit! :cool:

Pam

Oh, WOW! :shock: This bun is ADORABLE!!! :

attachment.php

No wonder this breed is among your favorites.

awwwwwwwwww such cute bunnies. *calls out* daaaaaaaaaaad can i get another bunny? ;)

and i hardly doubt that NC is 10hrs away from Penn.

dreamgal042 wrote:
awwwwwwwwww such cute bunnies. *calls out* daaaaaaaaaaad cani get another bunny? ;)

and i hardly doubt that NC is 10hrs away from Penn.

OK-- bad guess on my part :) Iwas thinking of when my son drove to Winston-Salem NC for HollandNationals a few years back. We lived in Ohio at the time.

Where we live now is approx. 8 hours from Winston-Salem.

Pam

Pam,

The head looks familiar for this kit. :) The body of this kit is muchdifferent tho :) I think I've got mine claimed when weaning age comesifI don't want it. LOL

Amanda

Ok Pam , I cannot take you up on that offer nowbut it is something to think about for the future.:)Right now I do not have the time. Ichangedlocations for my job andIdo a lotof driving. That takes me away from home more hours in theday than I would like to be. I will be moving toamore rural county in the next year ot two. Lessdriving and hopefully a better set-up for my rabbits. Youknow-- fenced in yard, finished basement and or a room of their own andall of theirthings. Buns do seem to be addictive, Iwould love to have more! I have learned a lot form mine andthey are so sweet.I was wondering if they haverabbit shows here in Winston. That does not seem to getadvertised. When the fair is here in the fall, I head rightover to the rabbit barn. Is there a place on the internetwhere I could go to see when and if there will be some rabbit showscoming to the area?Thanks PamBeckie

You can go to the ARBA websitehttp://www.arba.net to search forsanctioned shows in your area. For more info, you write oremail the listed show secretary.

During this time of year, many listed are actually fairshows. In most cases (except for fairs), there is no chargefor admission. You should be able to find a decent number ofshows in your area. As I mentioned in an earlier post, theHolland National show was held right in Winston-Salem a few years back.

Pam

Here's the only good pictures I have of thislittle kit at 2 days old. I don't know what happened but the little guydied today. I'm thinking it was a 'waster'.

Enjoy!

Amanda

sportkit001.jpg

sportkit010.jpg

sportkit005.jpg

I'm sorry it died... but ya get used to it and itbecomes 'one of those things'. I don't mean to sound inconsiderate whenI say that cause I do love my rabbits. Loosing an adult rabbit is muchdifferent then loosing a 6 day old kit.

Amanda

Back