Pal build

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbitgirl

Reaction score
Pam, when Bunbun was growing up we knew very little about rabbits. It's amazing he turned out so well!

Anyway, my memory of Bunbun's growth is hazy (especially since hebelonged to my brother then), so I'm wondering about appropriateweights forBub.

How would you describe aPal that is too "rangy"? What doesthe body feel like? What does the ideal body feel/look like?

Right now, he is stocky, thick and firm. When posed like for a show(ok, that only lasts for about 0.2 seconds), he is very rounded allover, like a bunny ball.

Untitled-11.jpg

Untitled-6R.jpg

Untitled-13.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

Does he look healthy and proportional from this? The bottom two are very recent, and he is about 5 months old now.

I think I have been keeping the Hollands on the thin side, so I'mtrying to put a little more weight on everyone in general. Just want toknow if it looks like I'm on the right track!

Thanks much!

Rose

Bunbun is exhibiting a nice commercial type inthe first photo. The coat should be flyback -- Bunbun's lookssomeone slower and open (possibly from Flemish being mixedin? The Flemish has a different type of fur (rollback).

The Pals fault a long, narrow body as well as chopped, undercut, flathindquarters. Narrow shoulders are also a common fault.

"Stocky, thick, and firm" are the adjectives that come to mind in describing a good commercial rabbit.

The desired weight for senior bucks is 8-10 pounds.

Pam

Thanks Pam! He is approaching the upper weightlimit, keeping pace with the Flemmys. So I just want to keep himproportional. I have a sneaking suspicion he will outgrow breedstandard because of his bone structure.

His coat, in the younger pics, was still growing in. It flies back beautifully now, and is a beautiful shiny russet orange.

His dad was regularly docked for shoulders and hindquarters, so I'mpleased to see he inherited his mother's features to improve the stock.

This baffles me, though--the females are developing the Fawn FGcoloring--but not the males. Why?Coincidence? I haven't beenable to track all of them, but the ones I have, show that pattern.

Rose

rabbitgirl wrote:
This baffles me, though--the females are developing the Fawn FGcoloring--but not the males. Why?Coincidence? I haven't beenable to track all of them, but the ones I have, show that pattern.

Rose

Are you referring to his siblings? What color wasmom and what color was dad? It would be coincidence that thedoes were fawns (golden in Palomino). The other acceptedcolor in Pals is Lynx, the dulute of Golden.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
Are you referring to his siblings? What color wasmom and what color was dad? It would be coincidence that thedoes were fawns (golden in Palomino). The other acceptedcolor in Pals is Lynx, the dulute of Golden.

Pam

Yes, his siblings. Mom and dad were both a bright Golden, the usual Palcolor. What does Lynx look like? His sisters are a dull orangeish-tan,with some ticking. I was thinking that color was fawn, butitseemsI've got my terminology mixed!

Rose

The golden Pal color is the same as most otherbreeds that have fawn (except for the Netherland Dwarf -- their fawn isa dilute with blue-gray eyes).

The Lynx is a dilute with blue gray eyes and a softgray ticking on the surface of the coat.

Two Goldens can produce Lynx in their litters, but two Lynx could never produce a Golden.

It's also possible that some of the siblings are Golden with undesired smutting ticking on the coat.

Pam

Latest posts

Back