Pain tollerance

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cazarty

Reaction score
I know this probably sounds silly. But i was told that buns have quite a high pain tollerance. i only ask this becuase. Sammy does not have the best of balance when she stands up (due to her illness - head tilt) anyway this is getting better slowly, she now manages to jump on and off the sofa without stumbling. But she still sometimes falls backward when standing high. She does not seem phased by this at all and sometimes she bashes her head on things but again not bothered by it. Do they feel the pain easily? I know they have quite tough skin but any answers to this would help my stress levels (its so upseting seeing her fall over). Thanks x

I dont know but I am going through the same with Ringo so I would like to know to.

Yea. Well first bout was April 2nd, second bout May 15th. Hasn't a bout since than but will always be on meds. He has good days and bad days.

That sounds like Sammy, she too has relapses. What medication is he on? Sammy is on Batryll and Panacur but this last lot dont seem to be doing anything her head tilt has stayed this time and am worried she is going to stay like it now becuase she is still growing. Is Ringo lively and happy though, Sammy is very happy but just a little clumsy

Cazarty wrote:
That sounds like Sammy, she too has relapses. What medication is he on? Sammy is on Batryll and Panacur but this last lot dont seem to be doing anything her head tilt has stayed this time and am worried she is going to stay like it now becuase she is still growing. Is Ringo lively and happy though, Sammy is very happy but just a little clumsy
Ringo is very happy. VERY ACTIVE!! He still wobbles.He is running around now. He is on Baytril oral and Penicillian-Benzathine injections.

Well at least he is happy and should still lead a happy life (good job they have got such caring parents who love thme lots x :bunnydance:

Right now he just knocked over my soda because I didn't pet him fast enough.

ha ha bless him. i also get nudged if i dont stroke Sammy quick enough - she lets me pick her up and put her on the arm of the sofa (just so she is slightly standing) and i lay down beside her and kiss and stroke her she then falls asleep but if i stop then i get the odd nudge

Ringo loves to be held, petted, he is a snuggle bun.

Good question. I'm no expert, but I'd guess that in a lot of cases, what looks really painful to us, is a lot less painful to them. Due to theirbody massand structure, falls in particular shouldn't hurt them as much as we might think. Hey, it's an athletic principal I've learned from doing gymnastics (child vs adult injuries). :upsidedown So, uh, don't entirely take my word for it. In my experience, though, my rabbits tend to breathe heavily/squeak/grunt when they're distressed. I've heard that other peoples' rabbits scream or make a whole host of other sounds, but mine never have. Zeke has done all sorts of crazy stunts and gone completely unfazed afterwards. I think/hope that if a serious injury or extreme pain were existent, there would be tell-tale signs.

Anyone have a more definitive answer?

Erin

Their body mass may be less but what may be considered a minor fall for us, is a huge fall for them. If a rabbit falls off a couch, it's like a person falling off a one story building.

That being said, I don't know for sure but I think their pain tolerence has to be good. Because rabbits are pray animals, they cannot show weakness. For that reason, there pain tolerence has to be high to survive. Rabbit hide their injuries and health issues, that's why it's so important to notice the slight changes in behaviour. So I think they tolerate pain quite well because they have to.

My husband says I am trully thier mom. EVERY time they are sick I have known. I know how much they eat. I know if they havent eaten enough. I know thier output. I know if it is off. I think you get the picture.:tongue

thanks for your replies, Sammy did used to fall of the sofa when we tried to jump its was norrible to see, but thankfully she has got more balance in her legs to suupport herself she is falling over less and less now and if even trying to stand up without leaning against something. Im so proud of her she has made so much progress conpared to when she first got ill and the vets told me it was 50/50 whether she would pull through - i couldnt imagine life without her now. I lovebuns so much i want some more but i think more than one would make my house smell and bit too much lol x.

Oh I did forget to make one point. Rabbits are meant to jump, they are built for it. And because I know my doe would jump 4' and land and not show any problems, I would assume they also have a sort of shock absorber system to minimize stress and damageto the joints. So if she landed on her feet, I'm sure she will be fine. :)

Rabbits are very good at hiding pain, which isn't the same as having a high pain tolerance. It's an adaptation to prevent predators from getting an easy meal. But she shouldn't feel pain from jumping or small bumps. I'm talking about cuts or broken bones, GI stasis, arthritis, after a surgery, etc. There's still some vets that don't think rabbits need pain meds for that stuff because they don't seem to make much of a fuss compared to cats and dogs.

Well I think all animals have a high tolerence for pain. You'd be surprised what an animal will put up with. Yes they are also excellent at hiding it which makes it hard to guess if they really do have a high tolerence for pain but I think they do.

naturestee wrote:
Rabbits are very good at hiding pain, which isn't the same as having a high pain tolerance. It's an adaptation to prevent predators from getting an easy meal.
Very well put.
The only tolerence of pain they really have, is the ability not to show it.

I agree with Angela ...just because they arequiet doesn't mean they are not in pain. Because they are prey animals(like she stated) they instinctively try to look better than they feel.When I pet my rabbits I notice how they tremor or flinch easily andseem to be verysensitive to touch . I think theyhave low pain tolerance and high ability to hide it. They also haveextremely low stress tolerance so stress and pain go together. That isone of the reasons it is so very horrible that they are used fortesting products :(

Latest posts

Back