Pain Meds After Neuter....Stewie.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tammy B

Reaction score
Hi Everybody...

Stewie had his surgery today ..YAY i know...They gave him a shot of pain meds before he came home(that would have been btween 3-4 this afternoon)that they gave him the meds...they sent me home with meds to give 0.3 ml once a day...is he going to need any tonite before i go to bed?...Or give him some in the morning and he's be ok for the night because of the injection??

He looks happy enough in his pen :biggrin2:

18.jpg

19.jpg

meloxicam he doesn't seem to be in much pain at all right now....he's eating and moving around

i am sorry though i thought this was going into a different spot on the forum just realized now where it went.

Ok is his teeth chattering? Is he not moving around much? After Lady and Brooke got fixed, Brooke was jumping around like a Bucking Bronco. If he's acting lethargic and not all that active and he's grinding his teeth, then I would give him some pain meds.

How is he acting now?

Vanessa

He's not moving around too much ...Not that i hear they are not chattering but it has been a while since he had anything for pain.
He keeps adjusting himself alot like he can't get comfortable

Odds are what they gave him in the clinic was Meloxicam as well, its a once every 24 hour drug, comes in injectable for clinic use (usually pre/post op) and oral. Please don't give it again today. Not good for their kidneys!

Ok watermelons,,,,thank you for the info so give it to him in the morning?

Ideally 24 hrs apart, but morning will be fine :) That's what I would do.
Keep in mind Metacam is just an "NSAID" so it would be like taking 2 advil for us. It doesn't relieve a whole lot of pain, but it does help take the edge off.
Vets are not going to prescribe narcotics for neuters. So he will be a bit sore, hence the not moving. But make sure he keeps eating/drinking - peeing/pooping :) That's the main part, and he should bounce back in a day or 2.
Extra cilantro may help... its great for the tummy and helps fight infection and 8 million other things... plus its bunny crack.

Awesome thanks you i will give it to him in the morning as soon as i get up...yeah he's shaking a lil when i go in and comfort him i think he's feeling a bit low at the moment with the pain meds and the anesthetic wearing off also i know i was a lil skaky.
He's not cold or anything his ears are warm and he seems to be resting other than he has to keep adjusting himself like he's a lil uncomfortable/He's eating and pooping so that's good :)

More updates tomorrow
https://www.google.ca/search?client...HqQGe1IC4Bg&ved=0CI8BEOkTMAs&biw=1366&bih=627

Stewie is doing good this morning :)
He has had his Metacam and is resting comfortably...Still eating and pooping so that's awesome.
Will post pics later on ....Gotta clean his pen lol :sweep

Glad to hear he is ok. Had some problems in the house and couldn't stay on email or the computer later, but the shaking a bit probably had to do with being uncomfortable. If he is acting fine now and is somewhat normal then that is a good sign.
Eating is a good sign. I had to hand feed Lady after she got fixed... Let us know what is going on!

Vanessa

Lucky Stewie! Barley wasn't sent home with any pain meds at all after he got neutered, poor guy. It's an easier operation for the males though so I guess the vet figured his "going home" shot was sufficient. He healed up really well anyway and I don't remember him having any issues at all. I'm sure Stewie has sailed through the worst of his experience and you'll find he's a delightful fellow now, good about using a litter box and just being friendly.

Felix didn't get pain meds after his neuter; I asked, and they said the shot they gave him would be enough. He was bouncing around again by the next day, so I was just trying to keep him as calm as possible so he wouldn't irritate his stitches!

Glad to hear Stewie is doing well this morning. After Felix's neuter I picked up some critical care, but he started chowing down hay again almost as soon as he got home.

I'm glad that Stewie came through well, and that he seems to be healing. :)

Thanks Everybody Stewie is doing good...He's a lil mopey today a few hours after me giving him the metacam but eating and pooping.He was shaking like he was cold last night and this afternoon too but i have realized and the vet figures too that it is the Metacam so i have been ordered to not give him anymore and see how he does with that.
So tomorrow morning..NO METACAM...He doesn't seem to be in pain without it anyways he was jumping around a lil this morning after i gave him the meds but just like yesterday 6 hours in and he was just laying around and shivering...he's doing GREAT other than that and he will be back to his bouncy self here this evening.it just seems to be between the 6 hour and the 12 hour mark that he does this then he is fine.the vet figures he';s fine but might be having a bit of a reaction to the Metacam doesn't think it's a big deal but to take him off the drugs just to see :)

Though metacam is usually well tolerated by many rabbits, there is always the possibility that it can cause an adverse reaction in a few. As if it's not hard enough dealing with the affects of the anesthesia and pain from the surgery, now you have the pain meds causing problems. At least he's still eating though. That's one good thing.

I hope your little guy is feeling better soon.

I'm glad to hear Stewie is doing well and hanging in there! Make certain he's eating and getting water!

I'm so glad you were able to get the meds to take home no matter if you will be using them or not.
Neither Brooke or Lady got them and Lady was really miserable. She just laid with half her head in her
water dish, shivering. I think she was in pain but her teeth was not chattering or anything. I finally had
to get her to eat by hand feeding her, so the fact that he is ok and doing well is great.

Tomorrow he should be just about back to his own active self. How does he like his new digs!

Vanessa

Latest posts

Back