Paging Pam & genetics folks

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinysMom

Reaction score
I have the strangest litter here and I need help.

a. Mama is a mismarked siamese sable doe. Her father was alilac and her mother was a sable point. Therefore, I know for sure sheis Bb and Dd.

b. Dad is a chinchilla. He throws torts when bred to a tort.I don't know his exact genetics but here is what I know about hisparents:

Sire: aaBBCch(m),D_Ee
(I can't find a ch(m) in any genetics books??)

Dam: AaBBchdchlDDEe

I have five babies that I thought were REW but it is genetically notpossible from what I've been told and what I'm seeing here.They were born 12/4.

Over the past 2 weeks, they have started developing points (2 of them). The other 3 still appear to be REW.

Here are a couple of photos:

Jan17babiesforNationalsPadmesHim-3.jpg

Jan17babiesforNationalsPadmesHim-2.jpg

Jan17babiesforNationalsPadmesHim-1.jpg

Jan17babiesforNationalsPadmesHimis0.jpg

There is NO coloring on the underside of their tails.

I did read tonight in Glenna Huffman's books that a himi with "ee"extension may not show colors on the points, etc. Does thatsound right?

Is that what I have? To me - one of these looks chocolate himi and theother one looks lilac himi....but I can't see anywhere how the dad cancarry chocolate although I do know from another litter that he carriesdilute.

Also - WHAT is ch(m)? I've never seen that before.....

Peg

P.S. Oops - almost forgot my other question. Can ahimi hide a mismark like a REW or BEW can? Can I breed a himi to anon-mismark to see if it carries the mismark?

Also - for those who are interested - these two are both bucks! Just my luck.....

Cchm is a designation for the medium chin gene. Its existence is debate.

"ee" himis may have poor/faded points.

The red eyes tell you for certain that they either have to be REW orhimi. The ones that have points are already showing that theyare ch (himi). It's very likely that at least one of theparents carries rew. If both carry rew, you get rew babies,however, they may just have extremely light points. The onespictured may even be agouti himis. The genotype of A_ B_ ch cD_ ee would most likely produce very light points.

I was given permission byJudgeFredaKrausto use some excellent photos of agouti himis that shehas. Should have them up on my coat color site in a fewdays. Or see Freda's site herehttp://members.tripod.com/iris-patchclick on learning. Some great DQ photos!

Pam

Any time you breed an agouti too a himi you takea chance of getting himi agoutis.the shaded gene is not something iwant in my chin dwarfs because it messses up the chin color.bluebird

Latest posts

Back