paddy ohara

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paddy Ohara

Reaction score
she knock the baby gate over and it landed on her. she tried to take off at full speed and she did. her nail came off on her back foot. i cleaned it up with peroxide. any one have any experiece with this or suggestions. she lets me touch it and clean it without any problems she is so sweet and good. she is also hopping around just fine on the bamboo slick floors. i dont want to stress her with a vet visit unless i need to. she is actually acting normal

I think you can just keep checking on it to make sure it doesn't get infected. Even though several of the books I have recommend using diluted peroxide, some on this forum say it damages the skin, so maybe you should use an iodine solution or something else in the future.

Can the baby gate be reinforced/stabilized so it can't happen again?

Thank you! I will get some idodine solution and continue to keep it clean, I should have it on hand anyways. It looks good this morning and she doesn't seem bothered by it even when I touch it. She is just suspsious of why I keep babying her.

The baby gate was entirely my fault if I could swap places with her I am the one who deserves the injury. It won't happen again.

Don't beat yourself up over the gate. It happens. Looks like you got everything under control. Just observe her nail growing back. Keep it clean until it starts to form.

Seems you are more upset than she is. That's a good thing, but take a deep breath and calm down. You did nothing wrong. Accidents happen.

She'll be fine. I believe you lost no trust here because she's letting you deal with her foot.

K :)

As long as it's a clean break and the bleeding has stopped, she should be fine. I've had it happen in my buns too. You might consider putting some neosporin or a similar antibiotic ointment (just not the pain relieving kind) on it to help keep it clean.

Spike has ripped a nail off, twice. The first time, we didn't even know it had happened. We just found it in the carpet. The 2nd time, he bled everywhere and we rushed him down to emergency. Basically, as long as the bleeding has stopped and you keep the wound and her area clean, she should be okay. Just keep an eye out for infection. Look for swelling or redness.

And it may be time for a nail trim! :)

Thanks glad to know it all worked out. She doesn't need a nail trim it came off because it was stuck and she was trying to get away from the loud crashing noise. It looks great and is healing just fine. I keep her nails short because we have bamboon floors and it helps her get around better.

Latest posts

Back