Oxbow Pellets

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SOOOSKA

Reaction score
Well I finally ran out of the Oxbow pellets Haley brought to me when she delivered my Sweet Vega and Very Handsome Winston.

OMG I forgot how expensive it is to buy a 10 pound bag, $28.00, and believe me with 6 adult Bunnies it doesn't last long.

I went onto the website that sells Oxbow here in Canada, the 50 pound bag is $90.00. So I sent an email asking why it was so much more here than in the States (I also wrote please don't use the dollar as an excuse as our Canadian dollar is actually worth more than the American).

As soon as the weather gets better I'm going to ask Haley to meet me at the Canadian/American border with 2 - 50 pound bags of pellets. LOL Actually Chris (he's a Limo driver)was working this weekend andhe right near the border where Haley crossed when she came to see me. If only I had know earlier.

Susan:apollo:

Yeah I know!

I so have to switch my buns over to Oxbow but yeah it is expensive :? I much prefer buying the good quality food in bulk over buying the crappy food we have here though so i am reeeeeeally looking forward to ordering it! Have to pay shipment too but luckily for me it's about 20$ in shipping. :)

Just like car sales in Canada. The exact same car costs more in Canada than in the US. They charge more because they can get away with it. Like to hear what their reply is.

I'm glad my bunnies love Martins pellets, which is available locally. :)

Lindsay, I don't order it I just pick it up at our local store.

They are in Oakville if I'm not mistaken. I hope this link works, let me know if it doesn't

http://www.oxbowhay.com/link.sp?page=International_Canada

This was her reply:

Hi Susan,

The main difference is the cost of shipping from Nebraska to Toronto. The cost of fuel is very high as I am sure you know. I have had customers order heavy product from the U.S. and even with the price difference, it still costs the same after shipping.

We always offer free shipping on your 1st order however. I hope this helps. We are also looking at our prices and hope to make some adjustments soon.

I can't get Oxbow either :( it's too expensive (and my mum won't let me order pellets off the Internet :rollseyes).

Thankfully, I can ger Excel easily now - I used do have problems even with that :?. The girls to really well on Excel, so it's not too bad that I can't get Oxbow. :)

So silly that it's so much more expensive in Canada though. It's great that you can get it from Haley. :D

Hey Susan, I've asked Oxbow before and they said it's because they have to go through a 3rd party distributer in our area. Oxbow can't sell directly to us because they have a contract with a distributer, and they can basically make the price what they want.

If you guys are going to make a trip for pellets, I would be more than willing to chip in for the cost of gas money/time costs etc. if you guys could get me a bag too! I was thinking the next time Neil and went down to the states, we would find a place to get a couple big bags too.

Remember that there are more expensive pellets that aren't as good for you buns. Some stuff is more than $3/lb. So when you can get Oxbow for $1.90/lb then you are doing well. And the more you buy, the cheaper it is.

Here, a 10lb bag is about $22, and 5lb bag is $17 and a 50lb bag is about $90. That is buying for a store that sells it. If I hads to pay for shipping or get it at the vet, it would be more. The store I get it from has the same price as a Canadian shipping place.

Our vet (which I'm not sure if we'll go back to since he wasn't at all concerned about Buttercup's problem) suggested Oxbow, so now Chris thinks it's the only one we should use.

Susan:)

Or you could come visit me in Michigan and stock up :)

The free shipping on the first order sounds good- could you buy a couple bags that way?

Another idea Ive toyed around with is mixing in a lesser pellet with the oxbow. You can get some fairly decent pellets from feed stores for very cheap.

Ive been reading up a lot on pellets lately and the consensus seems to be that if your rabbits eat very little pellets compared to their hay and veggie consumption, the type of pellet is sort of irrelevant (they were comparing timothy vs alfalfa).

Itstinks though that its so expensive for you guys. :(Mine works out to be about .70 cents a pound.

What? I never got free shipping with my first order :grumpy:. When I bought Oxbow, it cost me $50 for 50lbs.

SOOOSKA wrote:
We always offer free shipping on your 1st order however. I hope this helps. We are also looking at our prices and hope to make some adjustments soon.

Malaysia doesn't even sell Oxbow. The nearest place with Oxbow is our neighbouring country, Singapore. I ask my friends who are working in Singapore to help me buy Oxbow each time they return to Malaysia, but i get inconsistent Oxbow supply since they don't return here that often.

to make my Oxbow supply last, i've started mixing it with another brand of pellets - Sunseed Sunscription Vita Plus for Adult Rabbits which has the following contents:

Fiber (max) - 35%
Protein (min) - 12%
Calcium (max) - 0.85%

Has anyone tried this brand before? The contents seem to be good, just wondering if its a reputable brand? the pellets contain bits of dehydrated papaya and banana and some other green coloured stuff which i can't identify.. i'm thinking of removing those, in case its too high in sugar

I have one rabbit on Sunscription vita plus plus another pellet.She is older and always gets whatever she likes..and ?or the best.
I get this at petco 4lbs. is about $15.00.

its got some dried carrots and few other ? items in it but when I looked at the ingredients I thought that it looked like a great timothypellet because of the high fiber content and low fat and protein.

I also buy kaytee timothy pellets but I don't know if they are considered really quality pellets.

The rabbits that won't eat the timothy alone get Purina Complete mixed with Kaytee.
I think that haley is correct. We really are supposed to feed a minimum amt of pellets so maybe we are too concerned about something that is not as imp. as we thought.

The hay is the most imp food.

somebunny wrote:
Sunseed Sunscription Vita Plus for Adult Rabbits
Has anyone tried this brand before?

Yes, I have it. :)

I liked the contents, but it was a little fatting as my two would have excess cecals if I fed too much.
With all the different ingredients in the package, theretends to be alot of fine and dusty bits settling on the bottom of the bag..
However, the store does not carry it consistently, so if they didn't have it, you were out of luck.

A 4 lb. bag of Sunseed Sunscription Vita Plus costs $10.50

A 4.4 lb bag of Martin Less Active Adult Pellets cost $10.95 andthe larger Matins 11 lb. bag costs $16.50

I've also been thinking of buy like a 10lb bag of Oxbow and mixing it with the bulk rabbit chow i get from the feed store. I only wish the feed store thats less then 2miles from my house sold Oxbow. i called another feed store that has it they sells the 10lb bag for 12.95. I think I might be checking them out plus i want to see what type of bale hay they have.

Any of those good brand pellets here are crippling in price. I realise they have to be shipped over, but last I looked there were some kaytee pellets (not even that high-end) which were about $55 NZ for a 5 pound bag from the local petstore. The feed I buy is $9.95 for a 20 pound bag. I just couldn't believe it.

Latest posts

Back