Owner plays dead for 2 hours, bunny starts thumping excessively...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mochi_ball

Reaction score
This morning whenMochi tried to wake me up, I ignored her completely because I was reallytired and wanted to sleep in. (I live in a studio apt and she has free roaming within the entire apt.)

She jumps on the bed and jumps on top of me, sniffs my face, digs/scratches next to me...which is all normal behavior for her because she does this almost every morningwhen she wants her veggies. Usually I respond to this and get up to feed her. Sometimes I groggily turn to her and pet her a few times & snooze in a few more hours, and she goes off and does her own bunnything (like excercise, run around, eat hay).

But this morning, I decided to ignore her completely, i stayed very still and didn'tbudge an inch when she was acting outher mischevious behavior. I didn't respond to her for about 2 hours or so, as I was floating in and out of consciousness anyway. Though half asleep I heard her jump on the bed, off the bed, running around erratically (excercising), etc..which is what she does in the morning.

THEN comes the weird part...she starts THUMPING a lot. I don't remember how many times, but I would say 30+ timesin the time span of10-15 minutes. The thumping finally woke me up completely and I finally got up to see what she was doing. Seeing that I was up, she runs towards me.

I wanted to know...is it because she thought I was dead? That's why she got so angry? This is a first for Mochi because she rarely thumps for no apparentreason like this. (It's not like I was starving her, there was still plently of hay in her litterbox). So I thought maybe she got so angry because she thought I wasn't alive. For Mochi, she's never experienced "death" meaning she's never been in the situation to know what a dead person/animal is. When Bun Bun (Mochi's husbun)crossed the rainbow bridge, he passed away at the vets clinic, so Mochi never got a chance to see him in that state.

Ijust thought it was peculiar behaviour...share your thoughts!

I would think she was doing it for attention. Had she been scared you would have been able to tell that she was, when you got up. So yes, I think for attention because you didn't respond to anything else. It sounds like you are wrapped around her little paw, and she knows it.

Rabbits will thump for so many reasons...

They'll thump if they sense danger (to warn others)...

They'll thump to let others know they want to breed....

They'll thump to pass along messages in a community (boy is that funny when the rabbitry gets going)...

They also thump for attention of course...

Sounds like your rabbit was either worried about you and wondering if you were in danger - or wanting your attention.

I don't think she thought you were dead but I do think she said "Ha, you won't fool me woman,NOW GET UP!" :pRemember, bunnies have us trained, not the other way around. Lol. Wiggles would thump if I wouldn't pick her up when she'd scratch my pants. :?

hahaha thanks for the replies. she really is the Queen Bee of the house, I dont deny it! :p

Mom? Mom! MOM!!!!!

Exactly!

My bun will deliberately pull carpet fibers with her teeth if she thinks I'm really not paying attention. She knows it's going to get a somewhat negative reaction from me, but hey... just as with small children, any attention is better than none! ;)

TinysMom wrote:
They'll thump to pass along messages in a community (boy is that funny when the rabbitry gets going)...

You'll have to figure out someway to record that, cuz I want to see/hear that, Peg! It sounds so funny! lol. I usually only have one or two bunnies thumping at a time, usually when they're p'oed about something they didn't get, or when they want something, :) lol.

Emily

I've heard and seen my gang go at it at once :shock:Try waking up to that! You onlythink you've heard a thump until they really feel a NEED to thump. Scared the crap outta me :?I wouldn't want to be awaken by an entire rabbitry thumping. LOL.

Baxter! Wakes me up promptly each morning at 7:00 AM; My preferred time to get up is 8:30 AM mind you. If he would thump - I would welcome it - he wakes me up by banging on his bunny gate - which is loud and obnoxious. Worse - when he wakes me up - he also wakes up Tbone the 19 year old cat - who then starts yelling at me as well..

Latest posts

Back