Overweight rabbit.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wee Wabbits

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a seriously overweight rabbit that needs to go on a diet. What would you guys do? Would just hay not be enough nutrition? She is suppossed to be 6 pounds. She probably weighs bout 8. Ok thanks. -Steph

Yup,Bracon is right.

Decrease the pellets, but make sure that she still gets some. Also make sure that she gets lots of exercise time and try to make the area interesting with toys and things so that she doesn't just sit still.

:)
In addition to what has been said above, which I completely agree with btw, you could also use Burgess Supa Rabbit Excel Lite. This is a really good brand, with really good pellets. This 'lite' version of it is specifically designed for overweight rabbits and has less fat in, whilst still having all the other nutrional values.
It is a light blue/turquoise bag, which you can get from vets and Pets at Home or any big pet store.

Hope she gets better

Jen, Ben n Pip

Hi,

Bringing weight off an obese rabbit should be done very slowly to protect the liver. Rabbits metabolize fat differently than other animals and a quick weight loss causes the fat to be processed thru the liver resulting in damage. The way to a healthy weight loss is to reduce calories a little at a time. We had a mini-lop come in at over 10 pounds....she should have been about 6.5 pounds. Her humans at the time had thought they had a sick French Lop and fed her high calories. It took us over a year to bring her weight down but she is now slim and trim at her correct weight.

Start by reducing pellets by about 10% while offering unlimited grasshay and a handful of greens every night. Continue to reduce pellets by a small amount each week. Keep in mind that by feeding high quality hay with greens and fresh water, rabbits will live a much healthier life as nature intended. For the most part, pellets are much more for our benefit and convenience that any benefit to the rabbit. Most pellets are in the 14-16% protein range and in reality, a rabbit's GI tract is made to work on much less protein. We have a pair of Flemish that top the scale at over 25 pounds each....and they get less pellets per day than most people feed their tiny dwarf bunnies. Idon't care if any of my rabbits eat pellets as long as they eat their greens and hay. We use pellets only to maintain weight in sick or older rabbits. Ever seen an overweight wild rabbit? Probably not since they eat as nature intended. And contrary to popular belief, the inner workings of cottontails and domestic rabbits are identical. In fact, I use the same protocols on domestics and rehabbing wild rabbits...they are the same as far as husbandry goes. Just for info, the difference in domestics and wild rabbits are two chromosomes. By the way...even on such a small amount of pellets....our Flemish are still gaining weight and our male should top out well over thirty pounds...he is still a growing boy. The girl will be a little smaller as she came from an abuse situation in which she nearly starved before coming here.

Plenty of exercise is important too. Not only will that burn calories, movement plays an important part of keeping the GI tract operating as designed.

Slow and steady are the proper way to drop weight from this rabbit. It seems you are talking about a 25% reduction...that is huge but in the long run, it will be in the bun's best interest.

Randy

Sorry to hijack, but could we see pics of the 25 pound Flemish? I adore Flemish, but I haven't ever seen one that big!

Well...I would be more than happy to post a picture but I don't seem to be smart enough to figure out exactly how to do that....so if someone could walk me thru that little task I will post pics. And they are great rabbits aren't they?

Chyna is a fawn colored young lady....we call her "The Big Show". She came from an abuse situation in West Virginia.She came into rescue about 14 pounds.She had to actually fight rats for food. She had rat bites, ticks and fleas all over her. Her coat was a mess. Her attitude was terrible and when you have a very large aggressive rabbit...things can get bloody. It took quite a while for her to calm down....and a spay helped. She made her very first educationalpublic appearance at our booth at the open house at the College of Veterinary Medicine at NC State University in the spring of 2006. Needless to say, she was very popular and was a perfect lady all day allowing (more like demanding) that everyone that came by pet her. She was a very pleasant surprise. She, along with Andre, go out with us quite a bit. We have specially made strollers for them that allow us to safely take them out and for people to meet them.

Andre "The Giant" is a true gentle giant. He is steel gray and just a wonderful bunny. He was a special gift from some close friends of ours. He is pedigree Flemish and could have been shown had we chose to. He came to us just after weaning so he has been socialized his entire life. He is a huge lug that is frightened of his own shadow. He appeared that he might be a smaller rabbit but we knew both his parents were over 25 pounds. Even after his neuter at 12 weeks, he just didn't grow. Then, he made up for lost time as he has grown at a quick rate and seems to be getting larger every day. He is like a jumbo jet flying around the house....he is so large that when he does a binky....the floor vibrates. We couldn't ask for a better rabbit.

So if someone can show me how to post a picture here...I will do so. If I don't figure it out....send me your e-mail and I do know how to do that...most of the time anyway.

Randy

My bunny Ruby used to be fat a couple of years ago but looking at her now you wouldn't know it.;)What I did was cut back the pellets, fed more greensand kept feeding lots of hay. I also encouraged as much exercise as possible by spending a lot of time playing with her inthe run during the day. The weight loss should be gradual to be healthy but keep going, the work pays off.:)

Honeysuckle Rabbitry wrote:
Hey guys,

I have a seriously overweight rabbit that needs to go on a diet. What would you guys do? Would just hay not be enough nutrition? She is suppossed to be 6 pounds. She probably weighs bout 8. Ok thanks. -Steph

It is important to address weight issues on an individual basis - not on what a rabbit should weigh for their breed. Some individual rabbits are built far lighter or heavier than their breed standards call for, so their correct weight may not be within "show" limits.

If your rabbit is indeed overweight, increase exercise, decrease pellets and feed more hay.

Be certain to weigh your rabbit daily to avoid dangerous rapid weight loss. Handling your rabbit daily and feeling for a rough spine and hips can also alert you to excessive weight loss.

Pam

My 1 year old was about 2lbs over weight. I switched my girls pellets to timothy kaytee complete and I give them 1/3 cup a day. They get the same amount of hay. They get romaine lettuce everyday. Also if you have your rabbit run up and down the stairs everyday it may help. That's what I did.

Thanks to everyone that has sent me help on posting a picture. I might need more the way things are going. Computers just do not like me at all...and the feeling is mutual. But I am going to try to see if I figured it out. So here goes.

This is the first picture of Chyna aka "The Big Show". This picture was from the open house at the College of Veterinary Medicine at NC State University that was held in the spring of 2006. At that time, she was still recovering from her abuse ordeal. In these pictures, she weighs just over 20 pounds. To give you a little reference....that is my wife in the picture and she is just about five feet tall.

If this works....I havea new play toy and I can show pics of all our bunnies!!!

ChynaCVM1.jpg

If you look in the background, that is Noah. She is a beautiful Hotot with these piercing bright blue eyes. She was set free and got hit by a car...on the main highway in Myrtle Beach, SC....more on her later.

And if this works....more pics of Chyna and Andre.

Randy

Yes! Keep them coming!! I think Randy needs to create his own blog now.. once you give us a taste of your super cute little (or in this case.. big!) bunnies, you MUST keep us updated with new pics!

You guys are great with giving information. Another question though is if you don't know what the rabbit was fed prior to bringing it home how would you suggest beginning to start feeding it?

Randy - congrats on having the pictures up - I love what I'm seeing!

If you don't know what the rabbit was fed, I would give lots and lots of hay while slowly introducing the new pellets and veggies. Some bunnies don't seem to have sensitive tummies, while others will get upset tummies at the smallest change.

--Dawn

The general "safe" rate of weight loss is .5 pounds per month. Erik recently lost about two pounds over the period of five months.

I had a Mini-Rex that weighed eleven pounds when she got to me. Unfortunately her liver was already so stressed that she passed on of fatty liver irregardless.

Rabbit weight loss should be slow, and it takes time.

Back