Overweight rabbit will NOT be active.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vixxy

Reaction score
I have a female, white mini lop (Blue eyes, not red). She is a little over 2 years and spayed. She lives with a mini-rex cross (almost 1 year) and the two are well bonded.

She is approximately 6-7 pounds, and is overweight ( I can see that her stomach area is large...not to the point of preventing movement or extremely huge, but it is noticeable). She has slowly trickled up to this point over the past few months. I've changed the diet slowly by cutting down on portions of pellets and giving a LOT of timothy hay and dark greens, because she is not very active. I don't feed them heavy treats or sweets as treats.

I allow several hours of free roam time which in the past she took advantage of ( I leave the cage door open and both bunnies will hop about and still use their litter box in their cage). In the past few months she has had growing disinterest with "free roam time" and lately, she just does NOT come out at all. This has concerned me, so I have changed up the area slightly at some times, allowing them the back yard (fenced and supervised, they have had this previously as well), which she will slightly utilize. Her eating habits have not changed, she moves about, can hop up on things in the cage, but has become very lethargic, sleeping a lot. If I introduce toys or something new and interesting for them to explore, if it is outside of her cage she has no interest. If it is inside of their cage, she will play with it for a few seconds and not care to touch it much again.

Even with the diet changed, she is not losing weight and I am getting worried and fearing she is STILL gaining because she refuses to be active. Im not sure how I can "force exercise" her, or if I can. Her stool is normal (she suffers from the odd "poopy bum" but since the diet change that has actually improved) and she acts normal in terms of eating and drinking, interacting with the bonded rabbit.....but she will NOT be active, or when she is it is VERY brief.

I miss my funny, floppy girl :( Is this behaviour (depression???) or medical???

I am about to make a vet appointment, just wondering if anyone has had similar experiences?

PS: I live in Canada and the past few weeks have been occassionally of hotter temperature than usual, I would say this problem started before the season change, however, has got worse and has remained even on days where the temperature is significantly cooler

Suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance

Hi there,

Welcome to the forum.

What time of day is it you let her out the cage?

Have you had her checked out by a vet? Had some blood tests run? I have an obese girl, and had a previously obese foster, and they were both still very lively and active despite being beach balls. I would try and rule out a medical problem and then start on the behaviour side because that's probably more concrete and safer than doing it the other way around.

How much space to they have? Is she handleable?

I too would worry about a medical issue. Having some blood work done might get you an idea of what's going on. Lethargy usually indicates something is wrong, and while the heat may be a factor, I don't think it would be everything. Is her urine normal? Breathing rate?

Vixxy wrote:
I have a female, white mini lop (Blue eyes, not red). She is a little over 2 years and spayed. She lives with a mini-rex cross (almost 1 year) and the two are well bonded.

She is approximately 6-7 pounds, and is overweight ( I can see that her stomach area is large...not to the point of preventing movement or extremely huge, but it is noticeable). She has slowly trickled up to this point over the past few months. I've changed the diet slowly by cutting down on portions of pellets and giving a LOT of timothy hay and dark greens, because she is not very active. I don't feed them heavy treats or sweets as treats.

I allow several hours of free roam time which in the past she took advantage of ( I leave the cage door open and both bunnies will hop about and still use their litter box in their cage). In the past few months she has had growing disinterest with "free roam time" and lately, she just does NOT come out at all. This has concerned me, so I have changed up the area slightly at some times, allowing them the back yard (fenced and supervised, they have had this previously as well), which she will slightly utilize. Her eating habits have not changed, she moves about, can hop up on things in the cage, but has become very lethargic, sleeping a lot. If I introduce toys or something new and interesting for them to explore, if it is outside of her cage she has no interest. If it is inside of their cage, she will play with it for a few seconds and not care to touch it much again.

Even with the diet changed, she is not losing weight and I am getting worried and fearing she is STILL gaining because she refuses to be active. Im not sure how I can "force exercise" her, or if I can. Her stool is normal (she suffers from the odd "poopy bum" but since the diet change that has actually improved) and she acts normal in terms of eating and drinking, interacting with the bonded rabbit.....but she will NOT be active, or when she is it is VERY brief.

I miss my funny, floppy girl :( Is this behaviour (depression???) or medical???

I am about to make a vet appointment, just wondering if anyone has had similar experiences?

PS: I live in Canada and the past few weeks have been occassionally of hotter temperature than usual, I would say this problem started before the season change, however, has got worse and has remained even on days where the temperature is significantly cooler

Suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance
if she was at one time an obese active girl thenI would be concerned re. the change of behavior. I have a chubby inactive boy but he has always been that way and is getting up in years.
She could be depressed , however, you really cannot assume that until you rule out a medical issue.
I'm glad that you've been helping her lose weight.
A blood panel could tell a lot.

Thanks for the replies!!! I let her outside yesterday and watched her for a bit. She did spend a few minutes hoping around between rests, but did spend the majority of time outside squatted. Breathing is normal (when she's been hopping a lot it will be more rapid).

She is let out in the early morning hours and evening, as well as sometimes throughout the day as well. She has an indoor area with tunnels and toys and an outdoor area with the same. Indoor consists of a few bedrooms and hallway and outdoor consists of about 5 metres by 5 metres.

She was very VERY high strung and nervous when she was small (I also think she is deaf though the vet said not to "worry" about it and that he couldn't confirm it). She has never responded much to noises, and has always appeared "surprised' be some movements, as though she did not know something was near until it was seen. I figure the deaf possibility may have contributed to why she was so high strung as a youngin. Once she was spayed she mellowed out a LOT, actually, so she was never very hyper after being spayed.

My male is just such a contrast, because he is gogogogogogogogo mr. energizer bunny with ADD :).

Thanks for your replies, I'll take her in and keep you updated. This will be a different vet than the one she has had before, maybe light will be shed!!

I wonder if maybe its also to do with the time you let her out. As you probably know, bunnies are most active around dawn and dusk, and spend most of the rest of the day sleeping on and off. Maybe if she could get out at those times she might be more active than she is at times in the middle of the day (that's not to say don't let her out during the middle of the day or anything, just that she might get more active at certain times more than others).

I'd also sort of suggest trying to keep changing and stimulating their environments with new toys and smells, by hiding their food, things like that.

Good luck at the vets. Please let us know how you get on.

She is let out at various points throughout the day, inclusive of dusk and dawn (seriously...I work way too freakin' early).

So, the vet says she's healthy. "Perhaps a little chubby", I do believe the diet has helped her lose weight, and continuing to, so I'm glad. I brought her back from the vet and the last few days have seen her coming out of her cage to explore and even interact with me. So, basically she wanted to make me one big, fat liar :p

I dont know that I believe this change to be some kind of overnight success, but maybe it was her diet after all, and eating healthy has given her more energy. No idea. I'll keep an eye on her, but I'm happy to see her being sweet little her again :) Thanks for all the replies and warm welcomes to the forum!

Latest posts

Back