over protective mother

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbitfarmer

Reaction score
Has anyone ever dealt with an over protective mother rabbit? That's what i have right now. I'm seriously afraid of her. If anyone tries to put a hand in her cage (which means, cleaning, putting food or water in) she'll attack them. Today she attacked me because i tried to pick the dirty hay up from the bottom of her cage. She hasn't bit yet, but what she does is stands up on her hind legs and kind of boxes and scratches at my hands and arms. thinking i should wear heavy duty gloves to protect myself.

Mom to lots of rabbits, plus 4 kids and a husband

I have one like that! Gloves are a good idea. Make sure not to jump back when she does that, either, or it tells her she's won. It helps to put your hand in her cage so your hand is above her (they see things coming straight at them as a threat).

A water bottle will help, so you don't have to go in to water her. Same with a feeder that fills from the outside of the cage.

For cleaning, I remove the doe and put her in a carrier. That way I can clean/scrub her cage, and she's not feeling the need to defend her cage.

Good luck!

It helps to put your hand in her cage so your hand is above her (they see things coming straight at them as a threat).

Ok! her hutch actually opens from the top and from a front door. She seems more upset if i go in from the top, rather th an from the door which is at her level. However in order to fill her hay rack i need to come from the top.

A water bottle will help, so you don't have to go in to water her.

She won't use it. None of my rabbits will. They like drinking out of poultry water drinkers. Weird i know, but it's what they like.

For cleaning, I remove the doe and put her in a carrier.

Good idea, but i'd make my husband do this. This rabbit has never been friendly and now that she's a mama, she's even less friendly.

Was she cage sour before the kits?

No, but she was never really a friendly rabbit. While the other rabbits always run up to the front of the cage if anyone approaches she always stayed in a back corner. She would never let anyone pet her and the one time i had to pick her she scratched me up pretty good.

Latest posts

Back