Over cleaning

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hok9

Reaction score
One of my rabbits keeps cleaning the other two all the time. Its gotten to the point that one is loosing hair around his eyes. Is this common?

hok9 wrote:
One of my rabbits keeps cleaning the other two all the time. Its gotten to the point that one is loosing hair around his eyes. Is this common?
Are you sure the other rabbits arn't biting the one nearly bald? it is quiet easy to mistake. Can we have pics?

It happens, but I'm not sure what to do about it. I have at least heard of overgrooming like that happening before.

Are they caged all the time?

Ifnot let them out for a lengthy exercise time and provide as large a cage area as possible with plenty of distractions (toys)

I don't know if this will help but it may ............

This eventually could lead to skin issues with overgroomed rabbit.

this could be an anxiety boredom type of behavior

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12433&forum_id=17

I was thinking it was boredom. i made them a decent extension to their cage but he still does it. The one that does it is the one that is always escaping from the cage and doesnt want to be locked away at all.

Is it always in the same place? I have seen buns overgroom when they know there is some sort of problem and it's their way of tyring to fix it. I've seen it with cuts and scrapes, but also in a bun who had a kidney infection and the other bun overgroomed his sides and made him bald on the areas on the surface above where his kidneys are inside. If oyu htink there is a possibility of an eye problem, then it might be worth getting the bun vet checked.

I have a trio at the moment and two of the trio (The Dopeys- which pretty much says it all) tend to overgroom eyes. I would guess that eyes maybe taste different and possibly good? Most seem to like eyes, just some a little too much.

I dont know why he does it. I have the little one on anti-biotics for now and i will monitor his progress.

Flashy wrote:
Is it always in the same place? I have seen buns overgroom when they know there is some sort of problem and it's their way of tyring to fix it. I've seen it with cuts and scrapes, but also in a bun who had a kidney infection and the other bun overgroomed his sides and made him bald on the areas on the surface above where his kidneys are inside. If oyu htink there is a possibility of an eye problem, then it might be worth getting the bun vet checked.

I have a trio at the moment and two of the trio (The Dopeys- which pretty much says it all) tend to overgroom eyes. I would guess that eyes maybe taste different and possibly good? Most seem to like eyes, just some a little too much.

This an excellent point !

You need to separate the rabbits

!!!( In a way that they are next to each other) but no more grooming can occur ; they should be able to see and smell each other; and if the younger one already has an infection and is on antibiotics possibly another vet visit to deal with the eye issues is necessary

The vet gave him antibiotics for a respritory infection. He said that that could be the reason his eyes were getting crust.

I have a question....what antibiotic is he on? And I have a concern....any vet that prescribes an antibiotic because something "could" be.....needs to go back to vet school for a bit of retraining in Infection Management 101. I have lost all patience with thatline of thinking among professionals. That is the very reason that we have so much resistant bacteria.....shotgunning antibiotics. You pay good money for the doctor to "know"...not guess. Guessing with antibiotics can easily walk you into additional problems. My suggestion is to find the root cause of this possible infection and treat it appropriately. And what you are seeing with the grooming is "rabbits helping rabbits"....we have seen several "nurse" rabbits do things like grooming (before we knew there was an infection especially in the eyes) and helping prop up rabbits with ear infections. Animals pick up on things well before humans do. I have experienced that first hand many times. If I see one rabbit grooming another excessively.....I have learned to take that cue and start looking for something.

Randy

And I have a concern....any vet that prescribes an antibiotic because something "could" be
Did you just skip the first part of the statement i made? I said he was on anti-biotics for a RESPIRATORY INFECTION. The vet has been screened by the US Army to work at their facility and is only a small animal vet. I think he's credible. I am going to take to rabbit back if this does not stop the eye problem.

Latest posts

Back