Outdoor rabbit housing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nangobi

Reaction score
I've been browsing the 101 section on housingwhich is veryinteresting and informative,but...Iwas wondering if anyone could give me some actualmeasurements for a hutch for 2 rabbits. I bought a hutch whenwe first had our rabbit but I don't think it's going to be big enoughas Bugsygrows. I don't think it's long enough or high enoughbut more particularly as we're going to get a companion for Bugsy inthe spring (if all goes well, anyway!)and there's no way 2 rabbitscould get on in this hutch.

How long, and how high should it be? I'm probably going tohave to build ahutch as so many of the ones in the pet placesare very expensive for what they are.

No worries on the run issue - it'shuge - plenty of room for 2 bunnies!

Thanks very much, Amanda

Not a hutch, but a good idea for multiplebunnies is a wooden children's wendy house, this is what I use. Weadded a second storey very easily, and you can attach a run (which weshould be doing this summer). My bunnies have loads of space, they canrun around freely in their house, much more roomy than a hutch.:D

If you have the space, and are willing to pay the price of the playhouse, I would definitely recommend it.:nod

Hi, my rabbit is a hutch rabbit, too :)
And.....any 'hutch' you buy in a pet store is not nearly big enough, soyou got that one right. My rabbit lives in a two-rabbit hutchwith a wood divider in the middle.
So.....the important things to know are....how big is your rabbit?
Our hutch is a large wood frame on legs and we have two handmade wirecages that fit inside that frame and can come out for easycleaning.
The rabbit's living space shouldbe at least as tall as therabbit can reach when it stands on its hind legs and as wide as therabbit when it stretches out on its side, and should be probably atleast six or seven times the size of therabbit....spacial-wise.Bigger is always better.(Ifyou have a run, that's good, but the cage should still be pretty big incase of bad weather...)
And where are you going to put your second rabbit duringbonding? They can't both stay in the cageuntilbonding's finished, so I'd reccomend having another cageas well to keep that rabbit until it's bonded, or in case the bondingdoesn't work out.
That's probably all I'm pretty sure of giving you as far as informationgoes, but there's lots of other members that will be willing to helpout too in case anything I said was wrong :)

It really depends one the size of the rabbits.But the bigger the better. I have a 5' by 2.5' hutch for my bonded pairin the winter but I really wish it was bigger. My rabbits are 7.5 lbsand 4.5 lbs. I also have a larger 8' by 2.5' hutch that is used for mybonded pair in the summer. I really like this size but accessability isa big thing, it's really hard to have a rabbit that is hard to catch init. Adding a second level to a 5' hutch is good as well, granted yourrabbits are a small to medium size and not large.

Oh and one thing, they normally recommend onesquart foot per pound of rabbit. But with outside rabbitsIbelieve they need more room since they can't always get out to rundaily. This is what my thought is --1.5 times the weight ofthe largest rabbit and if you have any additional rabbit, add theirweight into it.

So for example, my pair would be:

Mocha is 7.5 lbs x 1.5 = 11.25 sq ft
Zoey is 4.5lbs4.50 sq ft
Total15.75sq ft

So I would probably prefer to keep my pair in a hutch that has at least 15.75 sq ft of room.

Additional rabbits don't need as much room added since there is already extra room allowed for the first rabbit.

I hope this helped but it's just my personal opinion, no one else's.

Thanks so much for the advice - it's the heightthat seems difficult to find. I've seen a hutch (in a petshop) that might fit the bill, however, the wendy house has alwaysappealed - got to see my hubby's face if I go in that direction!

Actually, since you're in the UK you can finddecent hutches in some petshops and there's some very good sellers overthe internet. Unfortunately I didn't save the sites.:?

The UK RSPCA recommends that your hutch be at least 5 ft long, andrequires it if you adopt from them. I know I've seen many 5ft hutches or larger sold in the UK, as well as many two-level hutchesor ones with attached runs.

Although I really do like playhouses and small sheds for outdoor housing.

naturestee wrote:
Actually, since you're in the UK you can find decent hutchesin some petshops and there's some very good sellers over theinternet. Unfortunately I didn't save the sites.:?
Oh yea! That is true, I didn't notice you location nangobi but the UKhutches are actually really nice and a lot of people on here have them.I forget the name too so maybe a UK member will see this and post...

I'd recommend the biggest you can get, one of myfriends has a massive 6 x 3 double decker hutch which I like to droolover!;) Most petshops wont do hutches big enough howeverthere are several good Internet shops.

http://www.happyhutch.com

http://www.vbhutches.co.uk/index.html

http://www.rehutches.com/hutches01.htm

I'd go for the biggest which is probably a 6ft double hutch, or a 6fthutch with attached run so your buns can have the most space possible.:)

Also have a look at some sheds and playhouses, I've seen some brilliantshed/playhouse setups with attached runs. I'll have a look around foryou.;)

Oh, I didn't realise you were in the UK either,B&Q have a good sized playhouse that is about £160 I think.Personally I don't think that's too bad a price, some of the bighutches in Pets at Home are around and over that price. So much morespace for the same price:D

And not a problem with cleaning out either:D

Can you tell I really like playhouses?

A playhouse would be fought over between therabbits my 8 year old! I'm thinking a shed would be a goodidea. But then there are so many hutches to choose from onthe net... decisions.... decisions.....

Michaela wrote:
a wooden children's wendy house
A Wendy House!!!!! I love that it's called that!!!

I keep picturing the house that the lost boys built for Wendy in Peter Pan.

I bought a really nice hutch with a small rununderneith from the happy hutch company althoguht i only have onerabbit living in it it is very spacious and they dont usually spend theday in there so it doesnt need to be huge. i think i only got the 3/4thbiggest so if there are going to be two then you could get one bigger!

you also need to work out where your going to keep the new bun and where will you try to bond them!

hope this helps!

Latest posts

Back