OUT OF CAGE LOLA

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

annkierst1

Reaction score
Hello All

Lola is "bitting her cage" more often. I think she is use tocoming out everyday and now that Kiersten is gone to summer camp, Idon't let lola out as much. Mainly because I work days andevenings I am just too tired. Does it bother them a lot ifthey are use to something and all of a sudden it stops. Isimply do not want to leave her to "wonder about my home" for the fearof electrocution. I am not totally " bunny safe in myhome. From the time I get home until about 8pm Lola just wontstop "bitting her cage. She has gone to bitting her waterbottle. It's really bothering me to the point of taking herto a shelter and telling my daughter something different.They can be really bothersome animals. What can Ido. I have altered her cage, making it bigger and I think Ihave purchase all the "bunny toys in the world. I refuse toget another bunny if Lola is lonely.

Thanks

annkierst1

Bunnies need exercise during the day. Acage, even it is large may not be big enough for Lola to run aroundlike she should be able to when she's outside of her cage.She needs time to stretch her legs and hop around and binky out ofjoy.

I understand being tired from work, but do you have a pen, like a babypen of some sort that you can put Lola in so she can run around in andnot get into any trouble? Where did your daughter let her hoparound when she's at home? Does she have a friend near by whoknows Lola who could come by and let her out for a little while?

She's biting on her cage because she wantsout.Bunnies should have at least 2 hours ofexercise. Also, depending on her age, she may be moreenergetic. Bunnies who are not fixed have more energy becauseof the hormones. I have a teenager bun myself, and he woke meup at 5:30 this morning to be let out...and he can't help iteither.

Please don't bring her to a shelter because she could be killedthere. Try to find someone who would like to let the bunnyout until your daughter gets home. I know you must be verybusy, and Iknow the frustrations of a loud bunny wantingattention, butit is worth it in the long run.

Good luck and try to hang in there.

-Carrie

I have bunny proofed my daughters room.....i lether bun run free when im not here i leave the cage door open so he cando his business.........but at night i put him back in hiscage.......he still in the am or the middle of the night chews hiscage............i just move him and his cage to another room so we cansleep. I have a dog also who still wants out at 2 am so in my case itsa no win situation lol!!

ok im sorry this may seem like im a little upset and the fact of the matter is that i am

this is why thousands of bunnies are homeless and in shelters becausepeople see a cute little bunny at the pet store and there child screemsmommy i want it and the parent agrees because after all they are thedefintion of cute. so the parent acts on impulse buys the bunny notknowing anything about them, then the cute little bunny starts to growup and isnt so cute when you have to clean up after it and feed it andtake it to the vet and let it out to run around , it starts banging onits cage it needs attention the child isnt old enough ordosent have the capasity to understand responsibillty so momor dad packs up the bunny takes it to a shelter and dumps thierresposibilty on someone else, of course then if nobody show intrest inlittle fluffy then the bunny is put to sleep, and why becauseof a impluse desion .

i am not trying to be mean, just that, to me is carlessnes. lyla myrabbit bangs on her cage when i come home i walk over open her cage shejumps out runs aroundtosses her head gives me quitea show, watching her actulaay makes me laugh and britens my day afterthat shejumps on the bed and lays with mewhile i watch tv or do other things. just close the bunny of to therest of the house except where you are and keep an eye on her/ him.nobody ever said having an animal was easy and just because they aresmall dosent mean that less work is involved,just as emmitsmom saidit is worth it i know it is frustrating,i really hopethat things work out for you, i dont want you to think that i am angryat you per say but more at the sittuation that i see all the time.

good luck.

Welcome annkierst1,

Do you have any fruit tree wood to put in her cage, like apple wood?She might be needing something to chew if not. There are some woodsthat are better for rabbits than others. I don't have the list in frontof me at this moment, but will give it to you if you ask.

I'd give her unlimited timothy hay (to keep her happy, healthy, andoccupied), keep her water bottle full of fresh water daily, and whenyou do have an hour or two to spare, let her out to stretch her legsand flex her muscles. I'm sure you'll laugh at how she jumps around theplace in glee.

She is used to her old routine and is fighting for it back. As sherelaxes, gets used to you and her new schedule, things will calm down.

As 'they' say, "Don't throw the baby away with the bath water."

:)

Keep us posted.

-Carolyn

I can understand you are tired when you gethome. Perhaps you could just let Lola out in one room. That way youaren't having to chase her through the house. If only for an hour ortwo. She is just trying to adjust to a new schedule. Please give hertime. My heart breaks at the thought of poor Lola's chances at ashelter.

Carolyn gave you some good advice as well. My rabbit was chewing onthe furniture too until I gave him all the sticks he could chew.Youcan also try newspaper or an old telephone book to rip andshred. Now he hasn't chewed anything he's not supposed to.

Tina

Everyone has already given great advice. I justwanted to suggest that you try bonding with Lola. If you limit her areawith a baby gate or a pen, even with furniture of pillows if she'ssmall, you might find that Lola is a great friend. A lot of peoplethink of rabbits as a child's pet. They think rabbits don't offer thesame level of companionship as a dog or cat. If you give Lola a chanceshe'll show you that she is not a child's pet. She is a thoughtful,fun, loving animal. I understand that it seems like a lot of work.Rabbits aren't low maintenance pets. Sorry if it seems harsh, but whenpeople bring animals into their lives they are making a big commitment.They are promising to take care of the animal's needs for all of itslife. Would you really rather let Lola be killed at ashelter,than to give her friendship a shot? She's banging onthe cage asking for it.

Just curious of how things are going, annkeirst1...is she still banging on her cage?

Has anyone here gotten a response from annkeirst1 yet? Ithink about Lola every day...hope she's doing well.

I know. I'm worried. I don't think we were too pushy about it. I hope she comes back to tell us her plans.

Just a thought: How long do kids go to summer camp for? Won'ther daughter return in plenty of time to take care of her rabbit?Annkierst1won't have to be the primary caretaker permanentlyright? Or is her daughter not doing much to take care of Lola even whenshe's home?

Sorry. I'm worried about the bun. I'm also worried about the daughter's feelings when she finds out her rabbit is gone.

I guess you are right. Maybe I was alittle upset. It must be hard being in the cage allday. Only to have someone ignore you. Lola is justso darn stubborn. She minds my daughter very well , while Ihave to run around "like crazy" chasing her. Kinda tired ofthat.

I will attempt to be a little better at letting her out for awhile. MAYBE this weekend since my daughter is gone, I will"bunny" up her room, so that I may leave Lola out.

thanks for listening

annkierst1

Thank you for your response, but we SAVED LOLAfrom a shelter, and the possibility of being put to sleep.sometimes we say things we do not mean. Lola was reallyworking my nerves and now that Kiersten (my daughter) is gone, Lola isreally acting up.

But thanks for the word anyway

annkierst1

Hello and thanks

EVERYONE, DON'T WORRY! AS UPSET AS I CAN GET WITH LOLA, I WOULD NEVER,NEVER TAKE HER TO A SHELTER. I ONLY HAVE ONE DAUGHTER ANDKIERSTEN WOULD KILL ME IF GIVE AWAY LOLA.

KIERSTEN DOES SO MUCH WITH LOLA WHEN SHE IS HERE. WE LIVE INAN APARTMENT WHICH IS CARPETED AND IT'S TOUGH WHEN LOLA ONLY WANTS TOPULL OUT MY CARPET. MY DAUGHTER IS ONLY 13, BUT SHE DOESEVERYTHING WITH LOLA AND I AM SURE LOLA MISSED KIERSTEN.

TRUST ME I WISH LOLA COULD HAVE WENT TO HOWARD UNIVERSITY WITH MYDAUGHTER. I CAN ONLY TRY TO DO HALF OF WHAT MY DAUGHTER DOESWHEN SHE IS HOME. SHE TAKES WONDERFUL CARE OF LOLA, THAT'SWHY I NEVER BOTHERED TO BOND. WHEN I DID, SHE BITME. KIERSTEN EVEN CLIPS LOLA NAILS. I ONLY PAY FORTHE FOOD AND SHELTER. THAT WAS OUR AGREEMENT. SHETOOK CARE OF THE BUNNY AND I TAKE OF FINANCES. THIS WAS THEONLY WAY I WAS GOING TO TAKE LOLA IN BECAUSE I KNEW HOW MY SCHEDULEWAS. ALL OF MY DAUGHTERS FRIENDS ARE GONE FOR THE SUMMER, SOTHERE IS NO ONE ELSE, SO I DECIDED TO INCREASE LOLA'S SPACE.I REALLY DON'T THINK IT IS STILL ENOUGH ROOM FOR LOLA. I MUSTSAY, SHE IS A PART OF OUR FAMILY NOW AND I GUESS I WILL CONTINUE TOTRY.

AGAIN, THANK YOU GUYS FOR ALL OF YOUR ADVISE. IT REALLY HELPED ME.

if i offended you i didnt mean to i was just tobe concerend im glad you have came to the desision that youdid!! good luck with lola. what breed is lola just curious!!

HELLO GJSARA

FIRST OF ALL ALLOW ME TO TELL YOU THAT MY DAUGHTER IS 13 YEARSOLD. SHE IS A PROFESSIONAL VIOLINIST, WHICH ALLOWS HER TO"TEACH AND ASSIST AT HOWARD UNIVERSITY"

SECONDLY LOLA WILL REMAIN IN HER CAGE UNTIL I GET HOME FROMWORK. I THINK IT WOULD NOT BE GOOD FOR LOLA TO RUN AROUND BYHERSELF. WHEN I GET HOME FROM WORK, I LET LOLA OUT AND SHEGOES TO KIERSTEN'S BED. SOMETIMES, SHE JUMPS ON IT ANDSOMETIMES SHE GOES UNDER IT. THERE IS NOTHING UNDER THE BEDSHE COULD GET INTO, SO I ALLOW HER TO STAY THERE.UNFORTUNATELY, KIERSTEN HAD LOLA WATCHING TELEVISION, SO WHEN I SPOKETO MY DAUGHTER TODAY, FRIDAY, SHE TOLD ME TO "KEEP ON THE TELEVISION"

WELL.........LO AND BEHOLD, THERE IS LOLA WHEN I COME HOME FROM WORKEVERYDAY IN HER CAGE WATCHING TELEVISION. SHE NO LONGER "BITES ON THECAGE. BUT I STILL ALLOW HER OUT AT LEAST A COUPLE OF HOURS SOSHE MAY JUMP AROUND. SHE HAS ENOUGH ROOM IN HER CAGE TOSTRETCH, BUT NOT TO JUMP.

THAT IS SOOOOOOOOO WEIRD!! AGAIN, LIKE I SAID LOLA AND KIERSTEN HAS ABOND THAT LOLA AND I WILL NEVER HAVE. AND THAT'S OK WITH ME!

ANNKIERST1

REALLY

YOU DID NOT OFFEND ME. I WANT TO THANK YOU GUYS FROM THEBOTTOM OF MY HEART. HEY, MY DAUGHTER WANTS TO BE A VET, NOME. I DEPEND ON YOU GUYS TO GIVE MEADVICE.

I READ THE BOARD AND I THOUGHT YOU GUYS WERE WONDERFUL, BEING WORRIEDABOUT LOLA. YOU FORGOT TO BE WORRIED ABOUT ME!!!!!:D

AGAIN, THANK YOU GUYS AND I AM NOT MAD. I JUST HOPE YOUFORGIVE ME FOR THINKING THAT I WANTED TO GIVE LOLA AWAY. ISIMPLY WOULD NOT HURT MY KIERSTEN LIKE THAT.

ANNKIERST1

again if i have offended you i didnt intend to.and i wasnt tring to imply that your daughter wasnt capable of takingcare of the rabbit im glad that the bun stoped chewing and annoying youand i wish the best for you.

Latest posts

Back