Our Trip to the Vet

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Llama

Reaction score
Yesterday at roughly 9:30am Nate and I began ourload up. I was time to head to the vet for the first time with thegirls. I placed some towels in a tote with the dual hinged lid andplucked Jetta out ouf her cage and placed her within. She looked at mewith much irritation as if to say, "Mom, there are NOT any treats inhere."

I then proceeded to Passat's cage and scooted her into her own littlecarrier. She is such a good baby and this deed wasn't any different.Off to the clinic we went.

Jetta rode on Nate's lap as I wanted to make sure the lid stayed openwithout her leaping out and around the car. Passat sat in her carriersnuggly behind my seat.

We arrived at the clinic and me, being nervous, started to itch at afew hives that were appearing. The vet I take my dog to was in our hometown and I have known him forever. My own grandmother took HER animalsthere when my mother was young! So a new vet was a bit nerve wreckingto me.

I filled out the paper work and the assitant commented cheerfully on mychoice of names. I became a little shocked at the price of an officevisit, $34.00 was a lot different from the $12.00 my home vetcharges.:shock:

We then went into the examination room and waited. He had birds of preyphotos on the walls, so Nate and I oogled at the gorgeous raptors for abit until the door creaked open.
He seemed cheerful and genuine right from the start and I was quickly comfortable with him handling the buns.

He looked at Passat first and she only weighed 2 whole pounds! Such alittle baby she is. :D This girl is so mellow and calm that I worryabout her, so it was GREAT news to hear that she was in perfect health!I was so happy! I even was correct in sexing her as a female when Ipicked her out! :yes:

I was worried when it was Jetta's turn due to the fact that she is alittle less willing to be handled. I'm not even really sure she likesbeing petted much. She'd much rather just be talked to all day long.She weighed just a tad over 6 pounds. So she is certainly not a"little" girl anymore. She did surprisingly well. I was very proud ofmy girl. She really only protested when he checked her teeth and justas well as Passat, Jetta is in excellent condition! :jumpforjoy:

So that was our trip to the vet. The spaying will cost $150.00 eachthere, which I'm not really happy about. he told me that was the sameprice that they charge for a small dog. Our dogs were spayed here for$85.00! So I'm going to contact the House Rabbit Society inIndianapolis to see if they spay for the public and check on thosedetails.

Thanks for reading!
-Jennifer

*Phew*

:ele:

Glad to hear it!

-Carolyn

$150 sounds really reasonable to me for aspay. Here in northeastern Ohio, the 2 closest rabbit-savvyvets have given me the price of $235 to $285 for aspay.It's significantly higherthan whatwe pay for a feline spay. I guess the price really variesfrom state to state.

GEESH...thats insane!! I paid either 70-80 forHomers neuter...dunno what the price of a spay is...I'm not sure onprice of Homers as the bill included alot of Corkys recent care.

FreddysMom wrote:
$35 for a vet bill :shock:! lucky you.....my bunnies vet is$50 a visit!
What vet do you use?

I'm always interested in where the rabbit savy vets are.

We live in Fair Lawn, NJ and we use the Banfield Vets in Paramus.They're located in the PetSmart. I think we pay about $40 for an officevisit and I think they quoted spaying at $150.

In the past we used Valley Brook Vets in Fair Lawn for spay/neuter and they charged $125/$85 respectively.

I used to live in Fairlawn :p

I go to Dr. Cheryl Welch in Franklin Lakes Animal at the AnimalHospital she opened. One of my best friends used to work for her andshe is the sweetest woman ever. When I brought Freddy there she had aton of questions to ask me to make sure I was doing everything properlyfor him. I feel really comfortable with her and the rest of her staffisequally talented and nice (I've taken other animals to Dr.Kozak who works there as well) so I don;tmindpayingthe few extra dollars. their websiteishttp://www.franklinlakesanimalhospital.com/.They quoted Freddy's neutering at $130.

$150 doesn't sound too bad. I paid $180, butthat was a laser surgery. It bumped the price up $60. Did the pricethey quoted you include bloodwork? I couldn't get the blood work doneon Mocha. She's just under two pounds and aside from the tiny size herveins are fragile- they just kept collapsing.:(

Glad to hear it went well. The vet makes ME nervous too ;)

I just noticed your buns names! Jetta and Passat!Volkswagon driver? I am kinda slow...LOVE those names!

Hugs!

P.S. Got my buns spayed and neutered for $100apiece. I got lucky and got a deal. Normally, spayshere are about $250-$290 and neuters are $190-$220. We onlyhave a couple of hospitals that see rabbits. And my officevisit tomorrow will cost $39.00. :D

For our rabbits, we go to Dr. Gary Riggs inBarberton, Ohio - Barberton Veterinary Clinic. They have aweb site but I don't have the URL at the moment. He is alsoaffiliated with the Metropolitan Emergency and Specialty Clinic inAkron/Norton, Ohio. Dr. Riggs is absolutely tops with rabbitsbut there is a long wait for routine visits. We use Dr. Riggsfor complicated rabbit issues. Dr. Riggs has done some very complicatedorthopedic surgeries and care for some of the Buckeye HRSrabbits.

We have also recently gone to the Animal and Avian Medical Center, Dr.David Hammond in Brunswick, Ohio (30 miles south ofCleveland). He has been great with my bunnies and he alsocarries Oxbow pellets, hay and papaya tablets. I don't meanto sound like an ad but they do have evening hours and Saturdayafternoon hours which is great for working folks. Dr. Hammondused to breed French Lops when he was a 4-H'er. I believe hedoes some work with a local rabbit rescue.

For our 18 cats (seniors and special needs) and for minor rabbitissues, we go to the vet in our township, Dr. Jerry Harris, HinckleyAnimal Hospital. He has treated ear yeast infections in oneof our buns, senior bunny arthritisand neutered our malerabbits. He does not do female spays. His partner,Dr. Oscar Skavdahl, actually makes house calls - lucky us!

Dr. Nancy Deucher at Nova Veterinary hospital in Medina, Ohio has alsobeen recommend as an experienced rabbit vet. I believe shehas evening and Saturday hours.

Hope this info is useful for any one living in the Medina County/ Cleveland/Akron area of Ohio.

Vet prices here vary widely.petsmart isresaonably priced but i dont know if ours treats rabbits and they donttake appointments so you just sit there and wait.When my horse neededsurgeryi compared prices and it was more than a $60 pricediffernce both vets were highly reccomended.bluebird

seniorcats wrote:
...I guess the price really varies from state to state.
Or from what one market is willing to bear, as opposed to another market.

In Shakespeare, I believe it was considered usurous to charge more than4% for loan. Today, credit cards charge 28% or more and no one blinks!

In history books of the last century monopolies and cartels were considered illlegal and broken up by the federal government.Today, OPEC wines and dines our goverment officials.

The price you pay is the price they can get you to pay.We don't talk fair prices anymore, just profitable prices.

Next!:disgust:

Buck

Latest posts

Back