Our first litter is coming!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebeccad

Reaction score
I have a pair of young lion heads. The female is busily nesting today. I do not know her due date, as the pair has been together since they were babies. When she lays on her side, its easy to watch the babies kick and move even though she is pretty fuzzy. When can I expect her to deliver? Should I remove the buck now? They live in two large, multi-level cages that can be joined together, or separated. I separated them as soon as I saw what she was doing. The male has been out playing. He is acting agitated and keeps circling the cage, head butting the door, and rubbing his face on her when she comes to him. Did I do the right thing?
How old do the babies have to be before I can let him in with them? Would this be a good time to neuter him? Not this minute, but after I know some of the kits have survived. I promised the kids one litter.
Thanks for your help!

I agree with the above post. A buck killing kits isn't uncommon and back to back breeding is NOT good for the doe.

Get him neutered asap.

Definitely separate him before she has them as he can impregnate her again right after she has the babies. He could also due it while she is still carrying the kits but this is less common.

Do not let the male in with the babies. He can possibly injure or kill the babies as I have seen it happen on this forum before. You should probably go ahead and neuter him now.This will allow time for his hormones to decrease and you still have to separate a male after neutering as he is still able to impregnate a doe (I think separating them for 6weeks is recommended). Where did these lionheads come from (breeder, pet store, etc)?

It sounds like the doe is ready to kindle anytime if she is nesting but some does can nest way ahead of time. Once she starts pulling fur then you know if should be anytime. Do you know how old this doe is?

I had to work this afternoon for awhile. She was pulling fur like crazy when I left. Five hours later and I think she had her babies and killed them. She isn't pulling anymore, looks thinner(although its hard to tell) and is acting completely different. There are a few drops of blood in her litter box in two places. The buck is going nuts to get to her. I still want to have a litter with him, so I don't want to neuter him until we have babies. How long should I keep them separated? Will they still like each other if I have them apart for a long time? They were such buddies before. I knew this could happen, but I'm so sad. Should I neuter him and then breed her with another buck sometime in the future? I don't want to torment him by living next to a female he can't get to either.
To answer some of the questions. They are from a breeder, not a pet store. The family is very active in 4H and the kids show them.
My pair both came from them. They have different lineages. She is 7 1/2 months old. He is 8 months old.

Did you find any babies at all? Keep him separated until you are sure there are no babies. If the babies did not survive you can breed her back today if you wish. She is at a good age for breeding but sometimes first litters dont survive.

The few drops of blood are okay. You just dont want her to have continuous bleeding.

Thank you for replying. Holy smokes!!! They are alive!!! LOL, I started answering you and decided I could clean away her nest. I was gently looking for dead babies and there they were wiggling around! There is so much fur I couldn't see them. Oh, I'm so happy! No wonder she is eating so much. I haven't seen her taking care of them, but my son said he has seen her sitting in there. Is there anything I should do for her other than leave her alone? I think there are 4, but I didn't want to poke around once I saw them. They sure look big to have come out of my little rabbit!

Yea I figured there were actually babies when you said she had killed them. More than often you will see signs of dead babies whether it be in blood or parts. I usually dont bother my moms at all unless they want to come up for a head scratch or treat (which most do). It is important to count the babies and make sure all are alive. You want to be sure to check them every day. We have had babies die (those must be taken out immediately) or escape (those are the scary ones). Keeping count is important. Also we love to see pictures!

Moms wont stay in the nests or go in them but once or twice a day. That is perfectly normal.

Oh something else since you have lionheads. If the breeder you bought your buns from were showing then you probably have double maned lionheads. If you take out the babies you will be able to tell if they are double maned or single maned. Double maned lionheads will have no fur on the sides of their bodies. Single maned lionheads will have fur everywhere. You will be able to really see this on day 2-4 once the fur starts to come in.

Thank you SO much! I just peaked at them. All alive and squirming. I find your comment about her not being in the nest with them very often very, very comforting. I know there isn't a thing I could do about it if she didn't care for them, but it would still bother me not knowing and thinking they were dying. She is acting just like normal, running over for treats and wanting to get out of her cage to run around. I let her out yesterday. I guess that's probably alright? Just not at the same time as Oliver. The babies look fed, round bellies, and nicely filled out. They look to have a teeny bit of fuzz coming. I can see a hint of color. A very, very tiny hint:) Can a single maned lionhead have double maned babies? These two don't seem to be show quality to me. The male doesn't have a mane anymore . He is just kind of fuzzy. Annabelle has some, but neither of them have the manes they had as babies. Annabelle is quite fuzzy. I would love to get longer haired babies, but I didn't think it was very likely.

Again, many thanks woahlookitsme. I think I should start a new thread regarding the babies. I have a lot to learn and to look forward to:) I will wait a bit and then get Oliver neutered. Maybe he will even freak out less when I clip his nails-one can hope! Pictures coming!

Back