Our 4-H rabbits have died 2 years in a row

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CRSunrise

Reaction score
My daughter has been doing rabbits for the last three years, counting this year. The first year, she did alright. All the rabbits made it to the fair. Last year and this year, we've had rabbits die on us.

This last batch didn't appear to even really be eating their food that we're aware of. The first one died last Sunday, and the last one died a few hours ago. We don't know what's going on.

My daughter has been feeding and watering them...Keeping their litter as clean as she can...we even had a box fan on them this year. We just don't know what's going on.

Perhaps more info?
What is their setup? Breed. Age. Temps? You dont have a location listed. Whe did you get them? What does "feeding and watering" mean for you? Were they offered the same food as what they ate in their previous home?

If I understand your post correctly, you mean that you noticed rabbits weren't eating and that you didn't take them to the vet? A rabbit not eating is an emergency, it has to be treated immediately or the rabbit will die. Rabbits are fragile.

Aside from that, it's hard to determine a cause without any details about the ailment but if it's as hot where you are than it's been where I live for the past month and that you keep the rabbits outside, it's no wonder they died - rabbits can't stand the heat. To survive hot summers, they should be kept inside, assuming they are fed correctly (good quality hay changed several times a day, 10% of the weight of each rabbits in wet vegetables with 2/3 leafy greens for hydratation, after of course introducting the vegetables one by one).

Definitely need more details. What are the temps like and what type of setup do you have? What breed rabbit and how old were they when you noticed problems/they each died? Our rabbits are outside as were the FFA rabbits my daughter had in high school, so one can't automatically assume heat was the cause.

Latest posts

Back