Otter or Marten/Fox

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sabine

Reaction score
I still can't tell the difference in the pattern:dunno
The more I look at pictures the more I get confused. The only difference I sometimes find is that the Otter appears to have a more orangey belly whereas marten/fox appears more cream? Is that it? Can anyone enlighten me?:)

The easiest way to tell is to look at the back of the neck.

An otter will have a very orange marking there.

13125_090109_340000000.jpg

13125_090108_310000000.jpg

A Marten/Fox will have a completely white marking there.

13125_291706_560000002.jpg

13125_291706_570000004.jpg

There are a lot of people who don't know the difference between the two and will mis-label them. Thereis also a huge amount of very poorly marked otters that do not display the very orange color that they should have and may be called foxes because of it. Like this one

13125_291709_280000001.jpg

I hope this helps you. Martens/Foxes have WHITE markings and only otters have ORANGE markings.

lelanatty wrote:
The easiest way to tell is to look at the back of the neck.

An otter will have a very orange marking there.

13125_090109_340000000.jpg

13125_090108_310000000.jpg

A Marten/Fox will have a completely white marking there.

13125_291706_560000002.jpg

13125_291706_570000004.jpg

There are a lot of people who don't know the difference between the two and will mis-label them. Thereis also a huge amount of very poorly marked otters that do not display the very orange color that they should have and may be called foxes because of it. Like this one

13125_291709_280000001.jpg

I hope this helps you. Martens/Foxes have WHITE markings and only otters have ORANGE markings.

:yeahthat:

Just to add to the confusion - here in the US, we refer to tort and sable otters as "fox".

lelanatty wrote:
pamnock wrote:
Just to add to the confusion - here in the US, we refer to tort and sable otters as "fox".
HUH? :? Pictures please?
This is the best picture I have. Plus it's out of a weird (and from orange lines) cross, so I'm sure it's a lot closer to orange than most probably are.

Tort Marten (not sure if "marten" classifies them as fox or not.)
7-29TMpet.jpg

See the tort shading? And the martenized-ness? (Which isn't super apparent, but eye circles and I'd assume belly color.)

Thanks for all the replies. So it is just the colour of the markings that distinguishes them rather than the pattern.
My thread was actually sparked off by looking at the pictures in this thread
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=60441&forum_id=8
and I realized I couldn't tell the otter from the fox. But I guess often the colour doesn't show properly in photographs

Sabine wrote:
P.S. and is it just the dark chin gene that causes the distinction?

Yes. the dark chinchilla gene is the only thing that is different beween martens and otters.

But, you can get silver martens out of Chins whenyou have the tan pattern gene there somewhere as well as the dark chinchilla gene.

Sabine wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. So it is just the colour of the markings that distinguishes them rather than the pattern.
My thread was actually sparked off by looking at the pictures in this thread
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=60441&forum_id=8
and I realized I couldn't tell the otter from the fox. But I guess often the colour doesn't show properly in photographs
I actually was looking at that as well. You can tell that the first rabbit is an otter, his rufus factor is a bit light but that can be caused by the dilute gene as well. The second one is supposed to be a fox but it might actually be a poorly marked otter.

lelanatty wrote:
But, you can get silver martens out of Chins whenyou have the tan pattern gene there somewhere as well as the dark chinchilla gene.
Oh, but how come it's called a silver marten then if it has the dark chin gene? Now I'm confused again:?
By the way the rufus factor regulates red colour doesn't it? Is there a separate gene for it and how does it interact?

Sabine wrote:
Oh, but how come it's called a silver marten then if it has the dark chin gene? Now I'm confused again:?
By the way the rufus factor regulates red colour doesn't it? Is there a separate gene for it and how does it interact?

I know, it makes me kinda mad too, but there is a point to it.

Basically, silver marten is to chinchilla what otter is to chestnut agouti. They are separated only by the tan pattern gene. I am making you a diagram to explain it. I will post it as soon as I am done.

Thanks, that would be great, Lela.
It seems whenever I manage to grasp a concept something else crops up that appears to contradict it:(

Alright here we go.

13125_191249_300000000.png

So basically what this is expalining is that in order to have a silver marten, you have to have the tan pattern gene (at)AND the dark chinchilla gene (cchd).

A chestnut agouti with the tan pattern gene is an otter. A chestnut agouti with the dark chinchilla gene is a chinchilla.

So when you combine them together, the tan pattern gene and the dark chinchilla gene, you get a silver marten. Genetic code a[suP]t[/suP]-B-C[suP]chd[/suP]-D-E- respectively.

I hope this makes sense.

And about the rufus factor, I have no idea what genes control it, but I know that it is more apparent in some rabbits and less in others.

I get it in general but the bit I'm stuck on in the explanation is the "chestnut agouti with a tan pattern gene". I always thought it's either Agouti (A) or tan (at):?
I know we had a similar discussion before in another context but I got lost somewhere along the way.:baghead

Sabine wrote:
I get it in general but the bit I'm stuck on in the explanation is the "chestnut agouti with a tan pattern gene". I always thought it's either Agouti (A) or tan (at):?
I know we had a similar discussion before in another context but I got lost somewhere along the way.:baghead
Yeah you are right. Is is always either at or A. but it is still ana gene after all. That is how otter is related to agouti.

Latest posts

Back